The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news you're back on the road TP.
    So you're putting the clutch failure down to the CSC?
    What state was the removed part in? Did it look damaged / faulty?

Can you elaborate on the "blueprinted" version fitted to your mates?
    Last edited by Activ8; 2 January 2023, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Blueprint used to do mainly jap stuff when i was fixing folks motors, always quality stuff. Have they branched out into euro makes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Good news you're back on the road TP.
        So you're putting the clutch failure down to the CSC?
        What state was the removed part in? Did it look damaged / faulty?

Can you elaborate on the "blueprinted" version fitted to your mates?
        Well I had totally lost the clutch when I pulled it in the garage and now I’ve got one again and I’ve only changed the CSC and the disc.

I’ve still got the CSC here and it looks fine to be honest. I really thought after I had the box off and saw and clean bell housing and CSC that it was actually the master cylinder but I deffo hd fluid leaking out the box when it fully packed up and lost fluid.

Blueprint is a part brand I used to fit when I was an apprentice. They always seemed good but I’ve not seen anything of them in years. My mate said that side by side the blueprint looked like better quality casting material and the casting itself looked better designed and stronger. No idea on seals at this point but LUK have clearly had a bad batch as that’s 2 premature failures and a lot of work to repair so I’ll be steering clear myself and guiding people elsewhere on their CSC’s I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

• Blueprint were the only available supplier of aftermarket air filter elements for Japanese cars in the 80's and 90's, other than going to the main dealer.

I have the earlier O2B box and CSC, and find that I cannot access the CSC on my drive to change the brake fluid in the lower end of the circuit, though I am sure there must be those who are more nimble and experienced than I am that can. Given that brake fluid is hygroscopic, and we are advised to change it every two years to minimise corrosion, I wonder how old WVan's clutch fluid is? I imagine it's never been changed in 23 years, and that can't be good for the seals? It's on my Spring 'Must Do' list.

Comment

• Cheers TP.
            Blue Print the brand is part of the Bilstein Group.
            For anyone interested the replacement CSC fitted was part number ADV183602 (3 Years Warranty).

Theres a good search tool on the Bilstein Group website which identifies both Febi Bilstein and Blue Print parts.

T4 1995 to 2003 (Choose Your Model)

T4 1990 to 2003 (Choose Your Model)
            Last edited by Activ8; 3 January 2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• That's a great find Active. It would make a useful 'sticky' on the Forum?

I noticed that SWAG is part of the same Group, and that's a brand that commonly appears on Autodoc's offerings, and which I have previously dismissed - I wonder if the quality controls are the same as with Febi?

Comment

• Defo, I bookmarked it. Thanks Rob

Comment

• Agreed Andreas, Rob is really good at digging out these nuggets. The only sub-forum that appears to be remotely relevant is sticking it under 'Other Sites', along with the Wiki-de link?

Comment

• Agreed Jim, and I am a member of the "t4 forum Deutschland"
                    It's big and a lot of knowledge but unfortunately a lot of judging wankers on it.
                    Perhaps my humor getting to British ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
                      Blueprint were the only available supplier of aftermarket air filter elements for Japanese cars in the 80's and 90's, other than going to the main dealer.

I have the earlier O2B box and CSC, and find that I cannot access the CSC on my drive to change the brake fluid in the lower end of the circuit, though I am sure there must be those who are more nimble and experienced than I am that can. Given that brake fluid is hygroscopic, and we are advised to change it every two years to minimise corrosion, I wonder how old WVan's clutch fluid is? I imagine it's never been changed in 23 years, and that can't be good for the seals? It's on my Spring 'Must Do' list.
                      Just to be clear. The 02b isn’t an earlier box, it was fitted to everything throughout the production run with the exception of the 102bhp vans and euro spec 151bhp vans and the autos of course.

I abbreviate Concentric Slave Cylinder down to CSC. 02b’s have an external slave cylinder and internal release bearing.

Only the 02G boxes have a CSC setup. The Blueprint CSC was roughly £77 and that was my mate. I’d already fitted another bastard LUK one to mine so we’ll see how that goes.

Also, I imagine the warranty/guarantee for these is when they’re fitted by a VAT registered garage so not worth a wank for me or any of us that fit our own.

Last edited by TommyP; 3 January 2023, 08:28 PM.
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Useful to hear that Blueprint are part of the Bilstein group so I’ll keep an eye out for their bits as it’s clear to me that LUK can’t make a decent CSC to save the hole in their arses.

Good info.

#vanlife

Comment

• Yep, no warranty if not fitted by a authorized person/company.
                          All just there to avoid warranty, but why do they sell it to us in first place?

Comment

• Aha - Tommy I mistakenly interpreted your abbreviation of "CSC" to that of 'Clutch Slave Cylinder'.

Is this known Forum wide, and perhaps even beyond, or is it something that has evolved between you & Rob?

Just as important, does the 02B slave cylinder have its own distinct abbreviation? "ESC" maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                              Agreed Jim, and I am a member of the "t4 forum Deutschland"
                              It's big and a lot of knowledge but unfortunately a lot of judging wankers on it.
                              Perhaps my humor getting to British ?
                              You're one of us now Fritz and don't ever forget this.
                              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
                                Aha - Tommy I mistakenly interpreted your abbreviation of "CSC" to that of 'Clutch Slave Cylinder'.

Is this known Forum wide, and perhaps even beyond, or is it something that has evolved between you & Rob?

Just as important, does the 02B slave cylinder have its own distinct abbreviation? "ESC" maybe?
                                Dunno, but thought it worth saying. Maybe it should be CCSC.

I’d just say clutch slave for an 02b but imagine it’s be obvious from the co text of whatever I’m talking about.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X