No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The clutch is on its way out. The engine is overwhelming it and I still want more power so that’s gotta be ripped out. It’s now the 4th van that’s on my waiting list for an engine and box out job and I’m booked up every day for the rest of the year. Annoying as fuck.

This LUK one has lasted approximately 23,000 miles and vast majority of those the engine was very very kind to it. Now it’s dialled up on grunt and I’m kicking it’s fucking teeth in at every opportunity I imagine I wouldn’t get anywhere near 10k out of a replacement so I’m now looking into a bargain basement uprated one. I have commissioned Rob and his tireless dreary geekiness to assist on the boring computery bit. Kev is going to machine out a flywheel for me to fit an enlarged clutch if I (Rob) can find a clutch cover that’ll clamp that bitch down. I’ll go with an organic disc as big as I can physically ram in there.

It’s going to need to be over spec’d because the Holset turbo that’ll be going on soon is going to set fire to the fucker daily. If in doubt, flat out.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• What type of flywheel and the plate size target is Kev machining out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        What type of flywheel and the plate size target is Kev machining out?

I’ll dig one out and take a look but it’ll take 240mm at least I think

#vanlife

Comment

• Following with interest, as when i get the 1.8t on the road at long last i'm wondering how long it will last with the ABL flywheel and Robs Netto clutch kit.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            Following with interest, as when i get the 1.8t on the road at long last i'm wondering how long it will last with the ABL flywheel and Robs Netto clutch kit.
            It ain't doing to bad for a 68bhp ABL clutch in a 150bhp turbo'd petrol?

Comment

It ain't doing to bad for a 68bhp ABL clutch in a 150bhp turbo'd petrol?
              Surely it’ll be fine anyway as I’ve never heard of the ABL clutch being an issue on 1.9tdi conversions even when mapped and they’d be pushing out more torque that the 1.8t?

Si, if you do need an upgrade it’s ultra simple for you. Just throw a Sachs VR6 clutch kit in it, bolts straight up to an SMF. Got one in the camper and it’s a trooper, feels perfect. That held a fair amount of grunt in my 2.5 for a while even under heavy strain. Was yours a DMF or SMF now I think about it?

#vanlife

Comment

• I think you need to be looking at modifying an AXG 23T 240mm disc to 28T. A Sachs 240mm sintered paddle plate is only rated to 520Nm (383.5ft lbs).
                With your driving style I doubt it would see 20k mileage but hold the current torque and current boost. Chuck the Holset into the equation I'd be looking at something bespoke ..... a RR datum could be useful?

What's Reg running through his AXG clutch? SlimJim may be able to offer some "real" figures to.

Last edited by Activ8; 17 November 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I think you need to be looking at modifying an AXG 23T 240mm disc to 28T. A Sachs 240mm sintered paddle plate is only rated to 520Nm (383.5ft lbs).
                  With your driving style I doubt it would see 20k mileage.

What's Reg running through his AXG clutch? SlimJim may be able to offer some "real" figures to.
                  Reg is still at a shade under 200bhp.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Surely it’ll be fine anyway as I’ve never heard of the ABL clutch being an issue on 1.9tdi conversions even when mapped and they’d be pushing out more torque that the 1.8t?

Si, if you do need an upgrade it’s ultra simple for you. Just throw a Sachs VR6 clutch kit in it, bolts straight up to an SMF. Got one in the camper and it’s a trooper, feels perfect. That held a fair amount of grunt in my 2.5 for a while even under heavy strain. Was yours a DMF or SMF now I think about it?

I'm being flippant.
                    Best to ask advice before you fit something?

Comment

• It's SMF Tom, I think d-9 has a VR6 solid flywheel and clutch. I threw the abl unit in, clutch to just to get it going. We'll see how it goes once on the road, won't be this side a Xmas as the wallets a bit dry . Mind it goes as well without road tax. Not been in a rush anyway since it's fired up, it's just a toy now for the most part and I don't plan on getting rid.

Comment

I'm being flippant.
                        Best to ask advice before you fit something?
                        I’m used to that with you and treat all your suggestions with moderately high scepticism.

Advice? As you know, T4 owners in the vast majority of cases haven’t done any interesting stuff and when the few have they’ve paid someone to do it for them. They haven’t got clue what’s been done and I’m not sending £750 to Piss Poor tuning for a shoddy clutch with a crass painted cover when I can do better myself for a third of that.

Virtually everything we do is probably best described as uncharted territory and we have to work it out for ourselves, you know this.

For example, the vr6 disc doesn’t work with the 02G’s concentric slave but we know how to rectify this now. Also, the VR6 clutch hasn’t got a cat in hells chance of holding the torque. A hybrid as mentioned here and as I said in WhatsApp is looking promising at the moment.
                        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          It's SMF Tom, I think d-9 has a VR6 solid flywheel and clutch. I threw the abl unit in, clutch to just to get it going. We'll see how it goes once on the road, won't be this side a Xmas as the wallets a bit dry . Mind it goes as well without road tax. Not been in a rush anyway since it's fired up, it's just a toy now for the most part and I don't plan on getting rid.
                          I think you’ll find your ABL clutch will be fine with what you’ve got now. Horse power is easy for clutches at our power levels, it’s torque that kills them and torque spikes especially.

#vanlife

Comment

• The Clutch slave has packed up. The only downside of not having the shitty 02b cheese box is that the 02G has the slave inside the bellhousing so guess who’s pulling the engine and gearbox out and swapping it this weekend?

Irritatingly, it’s less than 12 months old and I’m almost definite it’s an LUK one so I might actually channel my inner Karen and bitch like fuck about it and get some money from someone.

#vanlife

Comment

• Comment

• Was Karen the name of your first Lover by any chance Tommy?

Comment

Working...
                                X