The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
    So I’ve always known this van sets off car alarms if I drive close enough on most makes, land rover’s especially easily but tonight it set off a house a alarm. I’ve only ever had one other car with the bass to do that, a Sierra XR4X4 with a full Burton Power system.

Feeling quite happy with that. Have to be careful it’s not a neighbours or anyone that will recognise it locally though or I’ll be changing bricked windows more that I replace gearboxes and clutches.

Dropped the old locked up 02b to my gearbox bloke today. I’ll get it unlocked and fixed and then with the previous rebuild with all bearings, I’ll flog it to a sheep. It’s had all the syncros done already and the .62 5th gear upgrade so it is actually a cracking box for someone that’s running feeble power. It was a really lovely box actually. Maybe Kev will have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    No thanks , won’t handle my power , keep your chocolate clutches and gearboxes

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

No thanks , won’t handle my power , keep your chocolate clutches and gearboxes
      Ha! You ain’t ready for real power boy.

#vanlife

Comment

Dropped the old locked up 02b to my gearbox bloke today. I’ll get it unlocked and fixed and then with the previous rebuild with all bearings, I’ll flog it to a sheep. It’s had all the syncros done already and the .62 5th gear upgrade so it is actually a cracking box for someone that’s running feeble power. It was a really lovely box actually.
        I'm running an 02b gearbox with my noble 2.4D, and have come across mention of this gearbox ratio mod' before.

My experiences elsewhere of altering gearbox ratios have always been very mixed - every gain has always had it's complementary drawback(s), some only appearing later with time!

Don't get me wrong, of course I'd love an extra 10mh motorway cruising speed on top of the current 65 mph sweet spot, but not at the expense of dying on long hills for example, or excessive loading of pinion teeth etc. I'm often well loaded, sometimes towing a trailer, as well as empty, and found on a mix of rustic country roads and motorways, both flat and hilly - so a real mixed bag. WVan's role is as a workhorse, pure and simple.

So before this all becomes distant pre-EcU history, does this 'upgrade' just alter the 5th gear revs, or is it the whole gearbox? And what are the drawbacks? There's lots of threads on this elsewhere, many enthusiastically so, but frankly I'm not convinced that they necessarily gave the full picture?

"Horatio says 'tis but our fantasy,
        And will not let belief take hold of him
        Touching this dreaded sight, twice seen of us.
        Therefore I have entreated him along,
        With us to watch the minutes of this night,
        That, if again this apparition come,
        He may approve our eyes and speak to it."

Marcellus,
        Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 1; 35

02b gearbox; 15" wheels; the PR Codes states an 0ZN transmission ratio.

I've written down that the gearbox code is probably DQL but I can't recall where I got that from - suspect it was something A8 listed in a Post here somewhere?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

I'm running an 02b gearbox with my noble 2.4D, and have come across mention of this gearbox ratio mod' before.

My experiences elsewhere of altering gearbox ratios have always been very mixed - every gain has always had it's complementary drawback(s), some only appearing later with time!

Don't get me wrong, of course I'd love an extra 10mh motorway cruising speed on top of the current 65 mph sweet spot, but not at the expense of dying on long hills for example, or excessive loading of pinion teeth etc. I'm often well loaded, sometimes towing a trailer, as well as empty, and found on a mix of rustic country roads and motorways, both flat and hilly - so a real mixed bag. WVan's role is as a workhorse, pure and simple.

So before this all becomes distant pre-EcU history, does this 'upgrade' just alter the 5th gear revs, or is it the whole gearbox? And what are the drawbacks? There's lots of threads on this elsewhere, many enthusiastically so, but frankly I'm not convinced that they necessarily gave the full picture?

Marcellus,

I've written down that the gearbox code is probably DQL but I can't recall where I got that from - suspect it was something A8 listed in a Post here somewhere?
          Yeah it’ll be a DQL, same as the ones I’ve had in the past, and a CRM or something like that. Terribly short geared.

5th gear mod: to keep this simple, I’ll talk about my experience based on the ultra tall .62 5th. On a 2.4d, no, just no. Yes I’m biased as I like to tear arse around everywhere in mine but even driven sedately, you WILL lose speed quicker on hills but on the flat the comfort of not having the revs being at oblivion cannot be described well enough, it’s heaven. This particular ratio is more like an extra 20mph at the same revs. I went from cruising at 65 to save my ears to then cruising at 85 with the mod. Perfectly fine on a 2.4td or 2.5tdi if they’re pepped up a bit.

It’s not strictly a ‘mod’ either as you swap the 5th gearset. You can do it with the gearbox in the van via removing the end cap on the gearbox and the gear sets are about £150 IIRC. Very popular upgrade. The .62 in my last 02b was actually taller than my new 02G. The other drawback from the 5th mod is I felt like I was shifting from 4th gear to 9th, not a problem but if you’re towing uphill and need to downshift you will find 2krpm in 5th to shift down to 4th and get close to 4krpm lol - slight exaggeration maybe but you get the picture. I much prefer now having correctly spaced ratios on a box that’s generally taller.

There are a few different 5th ratios though so one that isn’t as insanely tall as the .62 would be well worth doing for you Jim.

#vanlife

Comment

• Today I changed the thermostat housing, stat and seal as the old one was pissing coolant out when it was cold.

I checked the MAF wiring pins for voltage from the loom and that looks fine so I cleaned the plug with electrical contact cleaner and squeezed them a bit tighter to see if that helps my intermittent MAF issue.

Tried to sort the rocker cover leak for the 47th time and I’m feeling good about it this time, all seems seated right, new gasket bonded into the rocker, then bonded down to the head too. Should be perfect, but it won’t, it’ll piss oil out I’m sure.

I offered up the undertray as now I’ve got a delicate snowflake Tdi with wires and shit, I’ll need to try and protect them so an undertray is having to go back on, not ran one since it was a 2.4d. Need loads cutting out to accommodate for the front mount intercooler. I’ll get the grinder out tomorrow and set about it along with the top ball joints. When the undertray is on I’ll refit the air horns as I’m lost without my double mega loud horns, excellent for scaring people senseless when they think they’re going to cut you up and get away with it. Stand on the gas and the horn simultaneously and watch them almost lose control in panic, it’s a great sport I enjoy greatly.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

Marcellus,

I need to lay off the herb for a while.
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Today I changed the thermostat housing, stat and seal as the old one was pissing coolant out when it was cold.

I checked the MAF wiring pins for voltage from the loom and that looks fine so I cleaned the plug with electrical contact cleaner and squeezed them a bit tighter to see if that helps my intermittent MAF issue.

Tried to sort the rocker cover leak for the 47th time and I’m feeling good about it this time, all seems seated right, new gasket bonded into the rocker, then bonded down to the head too. Should be perfect, but it won’t, it’ll piss oil out I’m sure.

I offered up the undertray as now I’ve got a delicate snowflake Tdi with wires and shit, I’ll need to try and protect them so an undertray is having to go back on, not ran one since it was a 2.4d. Need loads cutting out to accommodate for the front mount intercooler. I’ll get the grinder out tomorrow and set about it along with the top ball joints. When the undertray is on I’ll refit the air horns as I’m lost without my double mega loud horns, excellent for scaring people senseless when they think they’re going to cut you up and get away with it. Stand on the gas and the horn simultaneously and watch them almost lose control in panic, it’s a great sport I enjoy greatly.

Sounds cool as fuck. Want air horns now!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

I'm never really been into horns of any description Arf, as they always seem so confusing - higher road speeds and congestion means that I rarely know where the beep is coming from, or for what intended purpose? Even if I do, usually it's far too late anyway to take any additional evasive action required. I assume this works the other way round as well, so I just don't bother with them for their originally designed purpose, or indeed any other:

Click image for larger version

Name:	shamanhornsUSA.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	337717

Clearly they remains useful for the private taxi driver responding to a telephone order, and who can't be bothered to knock on the appropriate front door to announce their arrival - saves them stretching their legs and invigorating their blood circulation.

They could look good mounted high up on the front of a T4 though:

Name:	T2Horns.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	337719

Which would allow us all to get out and brush-off our Davy Crockett hats - here's a dashing example in red fox suitable for cooler climates:

Name:	DaveyCrocketHat.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	337718

Much to 'hot' to wear in bed though.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

Always had them, got the Dixie horns too hahahaha. Overgrown kid

#vanlife

Comment

Always had them, got the Dixie horns too hahahaha. Overgrown kid

Yeah man....Dukes of Hazard style
                      coooòol

Thats what i need in my life.

Comment

One of TP’s piston and his old turbo

Comment

• Treat em mean, keep em keen

#vanlife

Comment

• So today I ran around picking bits up for a 2.4d that needs a full engine rebuild I’m doing for someone. When I came out of the parts place in an industrial estate I saw some lads had noticed my side exit exhaust and I heard “wow that’s a straight through, I bet it’s loud and smokes like fuck”. “It does” I replied. They laughed as they didn’t see I was walking out and heard them. I started her up with a foot full of gas. They stopped walking into the shop and watched me pull away. The turbo whistle is loud so it maybe kept them there as spectators. I smirked at them and gently trundled over the speed bump. As soon as my back wheels bounced back down I gave it full spinal tap up to 11 which instantly lit up both fronts and as it was dry I even got tyre smoke along with a violent jet of exhaust black smoke directly out the side when the engine surpassed 5000rpm as I kept my foot planted, I really meant it lol. Goodness gravy it was magnificent. I dunno if it was better for me or the onlookers. Hahahahahahaha! You can’t beat the smell of burning rubber on a Sunday. I seriously need to grow the fuck up.

#vanlife

Comment

• Pahahahahahahahaha, who"d of thought the youf would be "impressed" by an old van and the fat fucker driving it!

Hoorah for the T4 , .... well the diesels at least.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Pahahahahahahahaha, who"d of thought the youf would be "impressed" by an old van and the fat fucker driving it!

Hoorah for the T4 , .... well the diesels at least.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

I imagine they’d have much preferred a big titted blond to jump in the van and carry out the act but they enjoyed the performance all the same. Their ‘straight outta Compton’ demeanour with hand clicking and whooping lead me to believe so anyway.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X