The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could Always harness my two huskys. That's more like it
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Pahahaha.
      "so I can’t even work out what’s making it so it other than the Underboost error code"

You know exactly why.
      You ignored my advice,

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s
      I didn’t ignore your advise I just didn’t have the time or crayons to explain it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• If we're meeting up tomorrow I'll bring some along , I could do with a laugh, albeit you'll have to.promise to not eat them again.

Last edited by Activ8; 14 December 2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• I don’t know what your problem is but I bet it’s difficult to pronounce.

#vanlife

Comment

• Yeh, "fatigued" ....

Comment

• Sat in the carpark at the M1 junction 24 services waiting for TP to return from a second test drive on the v2 map. He'd plumbed the first run to close the actuator valve and returned hitting 34psi.

Comment

Sat in the carpark at the M1 junction 24 services waiting for TP to return from a second test drive on the v2 map. He'd plumbed the first run to close the actuator valve and returned hitting 34psi.

Yep, it was wild. Totally ridiculous. That was how it was plumbed before the first run to get it to boost on V1 I might add.

#vanlife

Comment

• I’ve done loads and haven’t had time to post up but yes, it’s on MAP V2 which is ludicrous. Too much fuel but by fuck does it shift. The new clutch is barely hanging on and thankfully the EGT probe is knackered so I can’t see what temps are being fed into the turbo. I bet they’re dangerously high though. I’m searching for a Holset HE211W as the clutch and turbo are the weak points now. Got plenty of rebuilt and uprated clutches and flywheels to go in but not even a spare K16 never mind a choice or options. I’m addressing this. Won’t be rushing to fit though. Next winter maybe. Famous last words….

The van is currently running about 24psi at 3000rpm and makes 14psi @2krpm so it’s blisteringly quick for a 3t tradesman’s van. They’re isn’t much that gets past it on the open road now to be fair. I don’t dare kick its teeth in yet as it’s pluming thick black smoke do the EGT’s will be high as fuck. I’ve had a turbo blow before from excessive EGT’s and I don’t want to play that game again. That said, we’re still in the early stages so the experimentation is very much expected. V1 was like being harassed by a fly and V2 is like being bitten on the skull by a Hippopotamus. I reckon somewhere in between will do nicely, probably 75% of the way to the hippo bite will suffice.

I had limp before from Underboost as the turbo needed more fuel to spool up but now it’s very rare I get limp and when I do it’s overboost. Haha. It’s hilarious to drive. I knew the Tdi would be good but this is wilder than I expected. Obviously more work and irritation than the mTdi but I knew what I was getting into before I started, I think. The mTdi was not quite this torquey low down and forced the turbo to spool very furiously but even this has surpassed it.

The wastegate continues to be a pain in the arse with its 2 ports for control but we’re getting there I think. Won’t be an issue on a big sexy Holset as they have a convention style external wastegate.

Another note and I had this with the mTdi, when I got that to fuel enough to provide thrust for a Saturn 5 rocket to reach orbit, the exhaust note became more furious and loud, this map is like that. My neighbours must fucking hate me between this and the Golf 4mo and I’m surprised it hasn’t caused accidents out on the road (this will now be evidence towards my conviction if I go to court for just that) as it’s exceptionally loud. It’s not terrible in the cab but if I open the window and stick my head out my right ear bleeds. Remember I’ve only 4 foots worth (from the turbo) of 2.5” stainless straight through stainless homemade bodge of an exhaust that exits just behind the drivers wheel. Obnoxious. Rob said it wasn’t too loud but he’s the only one.

In summary: it’s fun as fuck and I can’t help absolutely pissing myself as I tear away from pretty much whatever I want whilst creating extra holes in the ozone layer but I need to get this MAP off ASAP or I’ll get used to it, refuse to accept anything less and have to replace the clutch and flywheel every 4 months. 11/10 for fun, 1.25/10 for long term reliability.

I wish I wasn’t such a dirty little whore for fast shit.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                    Yep, it was wild. Totally ridiculous. That was how it was plumbed before the first run to get it to boost on V1 I might add.
                    Your TP hybrid turbo was always an unknown having been fitted with a billet K24 compressor wheel (60.55mm/40.6mm).
                    The first runs made 13psi, top port capped to utlize the preloaded spring of 13psi. Unlogged so no data.
                    The second run made 16psi, using the N75. Unlogged so no data.
                    The third run made 14psi, using the N75 connections reversed. Unlogged so no data.
                    The fourth run was full pressure to the top control port to create a datum line for the airmass, fuelling controls and boost control and as it was logged we know it made 22.33psi or 2.519 bar @ 3325rpm then fell away slowly to 2.3bar at 4k rpm, with a boost limit set to 2.6bar and the maximum pressure for the OEM MAP sensor.
                    The second run was later repeated using vcds and logged where it made 2.1624bar or 17.09psi at 3958rpm. This was enough to light the wheels up coming out of roundabouts with TP's driving style.

The K16.2-2467 turbo is a lovely old skool unit as fitted to AAT, AEL and ABP engines with a KKK compressor map that plots its maximum pressure ratio to only 2.4bar, the pressure ratio takes into account the atmospheric pressure and pipe work losses before entering the cylinders. So, with just a boost pressure of 1 bar and some small losses it equates to a pressure ratio of 2.362bar. So, its just within the tolerances of the standard compressor wheel and its housing. 1 bar at 5000rpm runs the turbo to its max manufactured and tested speed of 160000rpm and 60% efficiency, so its starts to super heat the oxygen required for a clean burn.

With the data I could write V2 adding more fuel as the airmass was fantastic from this turbo, when you're writing maps its best NOT to modify too much, so with TP's agreement I focussed on increasing the fuelling to improve low end boost and rewriting the boost maps to later look at improving the actuator control in v3 and based upon using the N75 per run 5.

There's no full data on v2 yet in which to tune the fuelling back to meet the revised airmass and Volvo 0.216 injectors. I've had these maxxed out at 211ish bhp.
                    Once we've got the fuelling sorted we can move on to controlling the boost. Looking good though having made 2.519bar at 2754rpm on a short cold run, 600rpm earlier than v1.
                    My spreadsheet indicates 180bhp and 282ftlb on the v1 map. (OEM 102bhp / 204ftlb).

Comment

Your TP hybrid turbo was always an unknown having been fitted with a billet K24 compressor wheel (60.55mm/40.6mm).
                      The first runs made 13psi, top port capped to utlize the preloaded spring of 13psi. Unlogged so no data.
                      The second run made 16psi, using the N75. Unlogged so no data.
                      The third run made 14psi, using the N75 connections reversed. Unlogged so no data.
                      The fourth run was full pressure to the top control port to create a datum line for the airmass, fuelling controls and boost control and as it was logged we know it made 22.33psi or 2.519 bar @ 3325rpm then fell away slowly to 2.3bar at 4k rpm, with a boost limit set to 2.6bar and the maximum pressure for the OEM MAP sensor.
                      The second run was later repeated using vcds and logged where it made 2.1624bar or 17.09psi at 3958rpm. This was enough to light the wheels up coming out of roundabouts with TP's driving style.

The K16.2-2467 turbo is a lovely old skool unit as fitted to AAT, AEL and ABP engines with a KKK compressor map that plots its maximum pressure ratio to only 2.4bar, the pressure ratio takes into account the atmospheric pressure and pipe work losses before entering the cylinders. So, with just a boost pressure of 1 bar and some small losses it equates to a pressure ratio of 2.362bar. So, its just within the tolerances of the standard compressor wheel and its housing. 1 bar at 5000rpm runs the turbo to its max manufactured and tested speed of 160000rpm and 60% efficiency, so its starts to super heat the oxygen required for a clean burn.

With the data I could write V2 adding more fuel as the airmass was fantastic from this turbo, when you're writing maps its best NOT to modify too much, so with TP's agreement I focussed on increasing the fuelling to improve low end boost and rewriting the boost maps to later look at improving the actuator control in v3 and based upon using the N75 per run 5.

There's no full data on v2 yet in which to tune the fuelling back to meet the revised airmass and Volvo 0.216 injectors. I've had these maxxed out at 211ish bhp.
                      Once we've got the fuelling sorted we can move on to controlling the boost. Looking good though having made 2.519bar at 2754rpm on a short cold run, 600rpm earlier than v1.
                      My spreadsheet indicates 180bhp and 282ftlb on the v1 map. (OEM 102bhp / 204ftlb).

V2 feels like way in excess of 200 or at least the torque feels totally absurd and I never thought I’d say this, but it feels way to wild to sustain for long term reliability. But we’re still in the early stages so it’s all as we expected. There’s not much that can overtake it and it’s ultra thrilling to have a car or van come out from behind you to gun past for you to then leave it u til they’re almost level so you can catch their eye then stand on the gas, cover them in thick black smog and 546 decibels of side exit and roar off like they’re stood still.

The clutch and DMF aren’t going to last long and at this rate I’ll have to plan to change them in February. Hahahahahaha!

I’d fucking kill to leave it with this power but I MUST be realistic……………which won’t last long lol. I’m already looking into better clutches and a Holset HE211W as those are like the best kinda women, they fucking love being abused. Filthy little things and I need one.

Don’t delete this MAP file will you……..

#vanlife

Comment

• Great to meet up with TP and Jono at Junction 24 this afternoon to deliver v3 for Xmas. After the usual exchange of profanities, courtesys then the ECU was quickly exchanged and tested whilst being looked upon by a car park full of Xmas travellers who rarely lift a bonnet never mind see a working builder without his mug of tea and Sun nearby.

Comment

Great to meet up with TP and Jono at Junction 24 this afternoon to deliver v3 for Xmas. After the usual exchange of profanities, courtesys then the ECU was quickly exchanged and tested whilst being looked upon by a car park full of Xmas travellers who rarely lift a bonnet never mind see a working builder without his mug of tea and Sun nearby.

V3 is perfect, who did you get to do it?

The tea was in its holster in the van. Sun is stuffed on the dash under a load of invoices and incomplete age 6+ crosswords.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

V3 is perfect.
                            Who did you get to do it?

Fuckoff PottaT

Comment

• Evening fellow T4 wierdos.

Van is running pretty damn good. Occasional limp due to a MAF issue. “P1145 - Short to plus - Intermittent” Not looked into it yet.

Occasional overboost code too but that’ll be easy enough from Rob to tweak.

It drives great though and shifts well for a lardy loaded rusty wreck.

Looking for a Holset HE221W turbo for it as they’re bigger and more modern. They also handle pretty much any pressure you want to ram through them. Also, the wastegate is more conventional.

Proper chuffed it’s this pokey this early on in the conversion to using an ECU.

#vanlife

Comment

• We all told you an ECU is the future

Comment

Working...
                                X