No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for posting Reg. Good to compare with Tommys run Tuesday.

IIRC Sausages 1.9TDI was running a lovely set of newly balanced and tested CheeseTowers Volvo 0.210 injectors and a fresh newly balanced hybrid K03, prompted by the original turbo housing leaking due to it being cracked.

Version 2 of my map was a slightly detuned map as v1 was slipping your original clutch. Plus you were having boost/control problems from your old attic sourced oem Volvo K16 and manifold. The RR blower was badly positioned too. Torque on the 1st cold run was 278ft/lb, after that, the heat took its toll zapping 10%. Can't help but wonder what a set of larger Volvo injectors would deliver in yours? ;-)

Looking forward to deciphering Tommys run on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Last edited by Activ8; 26 November 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Cheers Reg. Great to get some sort of comparison to other tunes vans. If Sausages torque is box smashing then god knows what the mTdi will be. It’ll probably end up as 190lbsft hahahaha.

I’ve considered getting a spare box if I’m honest.

Really looking forward to my first time with this on the rollers. I think my dad is going to come along and throw his 2.4td on as well! It’s only running 11psi but it does drive lovely. If you like sedate cruising wagons. Jokes aside it’s ultra relaxing to drive and has plenty of poke for modern traffic. Given my pump teething issues, he’ll probably take the BHP trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• I doubt the 2.4td will win anything , a pint of Trophy at best , lol. With those unencumbered Volvo injectors in and no smoke I think you'll be pleasantly surprised up to about 3000rpm! ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          I doubt the 2.4td will win anything , a pint of Trophy at best , lol. With those unencumbered Volvo injectors in and no smoke I think you'll be pleasantly surprised up to about 3000rpm! ;-)

Ain’t that the truth. I’m not worried about bhp this time round.

#vanlife

Comment

Thanks for posting Reg. Good to compare with Tommys run Tuesday.

IIRC Sausages 1.9TDI was running a lovely set of newly balanced and tested CheeseTowers Volvo 0.210 injectors and a fresh newly balanced hybrid K03, prompted by the original turbo housing leaking due to it being cracked.

Version 2 of my map was a slightly detuned map as v1 was slipping your original clutch. Plus you were having boost/control problems from your old attic sourced oem Volvo K16 and manifold. The RR blower was badly positioned too. Torque on the 1st cold run was 278ft/lb, after that, the heat took its toll zapping 10%. Can't help but wonder what a set of larger Volvo injectors would deliver in yours? ;-)

Looking forward to deciphering Tommys run on Tuesday.

Your memory is better than mine, I thought sausage ws running some 206? Golf injectors and the original turbo pre-crack?

I'm calling the -20% map version 3 - I was running the earlier full fat clutch slipper map.

Wonder no more about the bigger injectors, when the motor comes out the 240s are probably going in.

Tommy

Sausages torque was monster at low revs, look where he hits 200 ft lbs, he was near 100 ft lbs just off idle! I wont be surprised if your 2.4 has more torque.

Comment

• Hmmm why did you get v2 then?

IIRC correctly you were also running a Poopercross panel filter in the standard airbox. (Tut tut) . Don't forget to fit that K&N Apollo too with those 0.24's & invest in a new MAF too.

I'm convinced you're going MTDI.

Comment

Hmmm why did you get v2 then?

IIRC correctly you were also running a Poopercross panel filter in the standard airbox. (Tut tut) . Don't forget to fit that K&N Apollo too with those 0.24's & invest in a new MAF too.

I'm convinced you're going MTDI.

The way I have them arranged (in my head)

V1 - the standard van map upgrade
                V2 - the volvo turbo map
                V3 - the volvo turbo -20% lite map
                V4 - V2 refined

Yep K+N

What's wrong with my MAF, the numbers make sense? or do I need a betterer one?

What about the MAP, does that need to have more bars?

Which position shall I put the needle lift and where would you like me to put the hammer?

MTDI, theres a thought, the same thought I had weds as the bugger dropped into limp, started doing it on boost now, maybe take some preload off.

I would be tempted to go MTDI as it give me more control, as in I know what's going on without an ECU and it's smoke and mirrors adjustments. I'm just waiting for the guinea pig to iron out the pump issues and go through the pain of early testing phase.

Comment

• Guineapig here! Just looking at the graphs again, even if I only make 3000rpm (which it will make more, possibly 4000rpm) then I should still see a good bhp figure.

I’m so super fucking excited to get it in the rollers. I’ll be even more excited if I could Rev it’s tits off but patience, my padawan. There will be many more runs.

And yeah I see it Reg, Sausages torque was exceptionally low down. I know mine is low down and ultra driveable but his was ridiculous. Must be a benefit of the smaller K03 turbo and it’s evidently fast spool.

And it’s confirmed, the old boys 2.4td will be going on the rollers too. He’s booked in. I’m quite interested in this as I did the engine rebuild and turbo conversion for him and judging by the way it drives compared to my old 2.4td (minus the peak power being lower on his) it drives and pulls very nicely in real world conditions.
                  Last edited by TommyP; 27 November 2020, 06:54 PM.
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

The way I have them arranged (in my head)

V1 - the standard van map upgrade
                    V2 - the volvo turbo map
                    V3 - the volvo turbo -20% lite map
                    V4 - V2 refined

Yep K+N

What's wrong with my MAF, the numbers make sense? or do I need a betterer one?

What about the MAP, does that need to have more bars?

Which position shall I put the needle lift and where would you like me to put the hammer?

MTDI, theres a thought, the same thought I had weds as the bugger dropped into limp, started doing it on boost now, maybe take some preload off.

I would be tempted to go MTDI as it give me more control, as in I know what's going on without an ECU and it's smoke and mirrors adjustments. I'm just waiting for the guinea pig to iron out the pump issues and go through the pain of early testing phase.
                    Next time I'm on that laptop I'll check my notes. I'm sure v1 was a Volvo map too and based on Colins install,
                    From your dyno run images there's an air feed restriction / error / sensor fault / wiring - the MAF suggestion was to rule it out moving forward
                    Fit some larger diameter intake pipework too albeit it held good bhp through to 5k rpm.
                    There's more in there too! 179% performance upgrade for what - 50 quid, not bad for an old classic - well nearly - van.

Re MAP sensor , depends on the turbo you're opting for? If you want to hit 300+bhp/4500rpm you'll need at least a 49/62mm hybrid compressor wheel, a 52-56mm turbine and it balancing.
                    The 2.5 bar map sensor will read accurately to 2.6 bar and yours is mapped for 2.6. so its good for running 28psi boost. At 27psi the head will start to lift so fit those ARL 12.9's!
                    On the above setup wheel you'll only need 25psi so it can be hard cut at 26.9psi to keep the mechanicals in tact. lol :P

Keep the needle lift on the same cylinder, with the hammer to hand to ward off those that suggest you use it on the IP.
                    Your map will run the 0.24's with a lumpy burbling kind of v8 tickover.
                    Whens your MOT? It'll fail the emissions with a two handed and two fingered salute. Remove the bonnet slam sticker.

Whats the Volvo preload setup to? Is it still peaking at 19psi?

An unrestricted MTDI is tempting , well up to a point - I reckon about 3400rpm at the mo. Best of luck to Tommy.
                    The benchmark for future RR trips may be starting Tuesday, could be a whole new thread!

Comment

Next time I'm on that laptop I'll check my notes. I'm sure v1 was a Volvo map too and based on Colins install,
                      From your dyno run images there's an air feed restriction / error / sensor fault / wiring - the MAF suggestion was to rule it out moving forward
                      Fit some larger diameter intake pipework too albeit it held good bhp through to 5k rpm.
                      There's more in there too! 179% performance upgrade for what - 50 quid, not bad for an old classic - well nearly - van.

Re MAP sensor , depends on the turbo you're opting for? If you want to hit 300+bhp/4500rpm you'll need at least a 49/62mm hybrid compressor wheel, a 52-56mm turbine and it balancing.
                      The 2.5 bar map sensor will read accurately to 2.6 bar and yours is mapped for 2.6. so its good for running 28psi boost. At 27psi the head will start to lift so fit those ARL 12.9's!
                      On the above setup wheel you'll only need 25psi so it can be hard cut at 26.9psi to keep the mechanicals in tact. lol :P

Keep the needle lift on the same cylinder, with the hammer to hand to ward off those that suggest you use it on the IP.
                      Your map will run the 0.24's with a lumpy burbling kind of v8 tickover.
                      Whens your MOT? It'll fail the emissions with a two handed and two fingered salute. Remove the bonnet slam sticker.

Whats the Volvo preload setup to? Is it still peaking at 19psi?

An unrestricted MTDI is tempting , well up to a point - I reckon about 3400rpm at the mo. Best of luck to Tommy.
                      The benchmark for future RR trips may be starting Tuesday, could be a whole new thread!
                      Yeah what you are calling V1 is what I have called V2, I'd stick V4 back in if the clutch would take it, right now I'm on Activ lite.

I have the big intake pipe, maybe I'll buy a genuine genuine MAF to make sure, is there an upgrade over stock?

Turbo, I have the GT2256 to fit, will an axg map control it with appropriate hardware?

Looking at the smoke you'd think it would fail the MOT but the figures from the test machine say otherwise.

Comment

MTdi is the way and I’ll prove it over the coming weeks. Tuesday is just the start.

“3400rpm” hahahahahahaha if you have calculated that then fuck me when I find another 2000 on top of that then great! Not that there’s much point other than saving me from desperately thrashing the gearstick around as I blow off transit customs.

#vanlife

Comment

Turbo, I have the GT2256 to fit, will an axg map control it with appropriate hardware?
                          Another member of Club VGT! Epic. Are you keeping it as a standard GT2256v or are you going billet?

Forget the map, go mTdi and forget all the these different versions of limp mode. I think it’s time you became a real man Reggie. I even know a chap that can send you appropriate badges so the lowered hipsters are fully aware of you superiority and hairy chested manliness.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            me desperately thrashing the gearstick around as I blow off trannys.

You've overshared again.

Comment

Yeah what you are calling V1 is what I have called V2, I'd stick V4 back in if the clutch would take it, right now I'm on Activ lite.

I have the big intake pipe, maybe I'll buy a genuine genuine MAF to make sure, is there an upgrade over stock?

Looking at the smoke you'd think it would fail the MOT but the figures from the test machine say otherwise.
                              I've used the larger Volvo MAF housing (80mm) but replaced the sensor for the T4 version. I think the Apollo is 80mm too so no reducers.

Is that the BMW GT2256? It won't make 300. The AXG/AHY hardware & maps could be for used for control.

Good - Greta will be none the wiser.

Comment

• I’ve realised that this thread is heavily oriented towards engines and tuff so in the name of balance.

One thinking of cab curtains, which so you think would be best?:or:

Any thoughts?

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X