No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had the same issue with them a few months back. Failed to collect 3x. So I switched to Hermes and they were collected and gone the next day.

Comment

• I went and sorted the old boys tonight, got it running so I can go in for a test. His boost pin came soon that’s in. Here’s the one that came out: - utterly bollocks.

So his van is a 2.4 has had a new head gasket, all the stuff for the turbo including FMIC. LDA pump and internal mods as per the messiah Reginald. Started pretty quick after filling the pump and spinning it over and locking of injector pipes. Sounded really clattery and knocky until it warmed but I guess it needed a good clear through. Runs lovely now, sweet and quiet. Not touched the turbo actuator yet as the boost and EGT gauges just need wiring in, all sensors and and gauges mounted, just need the live feed is all. I’ll get that done this week/weekend. Turned the max fuel up a turn and when I took it out i would say it’s about 6-8 psi from how it pulls. It drove really lovely, pulled really cleanly and although nothing like as powerful as my 2.4td yet, pulled much nicer with the gov mod etc.

Felt really great to have a bit of success with an engine.......

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Had the same issue with them a few months back. Failed to collect 3x. So I switched to Hermes and they were collected and gone the next day.
        ****s. Total pain in the arse, it should have been with Reg today but it’s still sat in my fucking hallway.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
          Yet again ParcelFarce haven’t picked up the pump Reg. I may even bring it down to you one day if you’re happy with that? I tried calling them to see what was going on and I got cut off.
          Ironic, another bloke sending me a pump, got pissed off with courier not showing so sent it via parcel force, turned up today.

Its a hybrid ABL - LDA build, the box turned up with two pumps inside, lids removed from both (filthy dirty pumps) and various bits in plastic bags. Nice I like a puzzle!

Lifting one pump up and a lump of metal fell out, the limiter pin - someone had ground it off (badly) and just left the pin rattling around the pump - so I'm guessing if they couldn't be bothered to remove the pin, they probably didn't clean out the grinder dust - so that pump will be toast then.

If you are popping down, I can turn the pump around while you wait

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Reg,
          If you've been stripped of your spare 2.5tdi pump do you want me to send you one? Or just the missing parts?

Looked at boost pin grinds and there seems to be an absurd number of diy designs. Do you have a boost pin template / measurements an amateur can grind it to? Or do you offer a "grinding" service?
          Could do with a spare - I thought tommy was sending me one with the rest of the bits.

Measurements? You're kidding right? You be calculating stuff next.

Just grind it. You can tune the pin with the various adjusters - do people bother? Nope. Never.

Yeah I can grind some, basically you want the ramp to be as smooth as possible. I finish mine with a stone.

Comment

I went and sorted the old boys tonight, got it running so I can go in for a test. His boost pin came soon that’s in. Here’s the one that came out: - utterly bollocks.

So his van is a 2.4 has had a new head gasket, all the stuff for the turbo including FMIC. LDA pump and internal mods as per the messiah Reginald. Started pretty quick after filling the pump and spinning it over and locking of injector pipes. Sounded really clattery and knocky until it warmed but I guess it needed a good clear through. Runs lovely now, sweet and quiet. Not touched the turbo actuator yet as the boost and EGT gauges just need wiring in, all sensors and and gauges mounted, just need the live feed is all. I’ll get that done this week/weekend. Turned the max fuel up a turn and when I took it out i would say it’s about 6-8 psi from how it pulls. It drove really lovely, pulled really cleanly and although nothing like as powerful as my 2.4td yet, pulled much nicer with the gov mod etc.

Felt really great to have a bit of success with an engine.......

Sent from a muppet
            Pleased to hear you got it running nice Tommy.

Im looking forward to seeing that old green monster again some day. It’ll be nice to hear how it runs.

Good work pal.

Comment

• Nice one Tommy!

Is there actually any point in that boost pin? It looks flat apart from the very start.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                Nice one Tommy!

Is there actually any point in that boost pin? It looks flat apart from the very start.
                None at all - it does nowt, I guess one pump can suit a number of applications/markets and just be tailored with a boost pin to suit.

That pin is very similar to an AAZ pin (1.9 Golf etc) and they are great for grinding as there's plenty of meat, unlike trying to grind a pin with a decent grind already....
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ground pin.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	305896

No - I didn't and wouldn't ever do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Ironic, another bloke sending me a pump, got pissed off with courier not showing so sent it via parcel force, turned up today.

Its a hybrid ABL - LDA build, the box turned up with two pumps inside, lids removed from both (filthy dirty pumps) and various bits in plastic bags. Nice I like a puzzle!

Lifting one pump up and a lump of metal fell out, the limiter pin - someone had ground it off (badly) and just left the pin rattling around the pump - so I'm guessing if they couldn't be bothered to remove the pin, they probably didn't clean out the grinder dust - so that pump will be toast then.

If you are popping down, I can turn the pump around while you wait

Could do with a spare - I thought tommy was sending me one with the rest of the bits.

Measurements? You're kidding right? You be calculating stuff next.

Just grind it. You can tune the pin with the various adjusters - do people bother? Nope. Never.

Yeah I can grind some, basically you want the ramp to be as smooth as possible. I finish mine with a stone.

I’m not quite sure which way to go about it at the minute. Even if they do collect it tomorrow, it won’t get to you until Thursday and then I won’t get it back until next week.......

I don’t know whether to run over to you on Friday or Saturday. Friday and I lose a day pay and Saturday and I lose most of the day for working on the van. Fucking wankers ParcelFarce are.

I may have no choice but to bring it down. Either day any good to you?

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

I may have no choice but to bring it down. Either day any good to you?
                    Yep I'm dole scum, all days are the same to me.

Comment

I’ll get a plan together and get back to you tomorrow.

It may be easier as I’ll be able to bring that fanimold for you too.

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

I’ll get a plan together and get back to you tomorrow.

It may be easier as I’ll be able to bring that fanimold for you too.

Sent from a muppet
                        Do you want to take a pump down with you Tommy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Do you want to take a pump down with you Tommy?
                          I can take whatever you want me to as long as it’ll fit in a golf and I’ll need it before Saturday

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

I can take whatever you want me to as long as it’ll fit in a golf and I’ll need it before Saturday

Have you got anything for reg?

Sent from a muppet

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Yep. I'll replace his spare pump as a thanks for all the help and advice offered.

Reg. I can give Tommy the AXG/ AHY clutch kit too if you still want it @ £75? The new LUK DMF flywheel I'd sell for £200. I'll keep the two used for my builds with the SRE components.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

More likely "a man of leisure" rather than dole scum as you'd have to actually sign on for that Social badge.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X