No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here you go Tommy. This is the Volvo rocker cover breather valve for the D5252T pn# 074129101B / 3911170993 . The T4 2.5tdi uses 074129101D. The letter relates to the inserted stem, the T4 is too long with either rocker cover grommet because of the Volvos oil splash back plate.

The Volvo breather has a nice steel breather pipe and rubber joiners too.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Tommy, the grommet seal for the rocker cover breather is 074103500A. Just taken it out of a cover from that broken breather.

Comment

• Spot on, I’ll get searching when I’m kicking back tonight

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• So I finally got everything I needed to weld and after a bit of late one home I managed to get an hour to pull the welder out and have a punt:

I cleaned the weld with my cutting disc as you can see, it’s not very neat but to my untrained eye, the penetration looks good. I’ll get the right dressing tool when I’m not so bloody busy. Will look into what’s best.

Mega chuffed with the progress. I hope to have the exhaust done over the next 2 nights.

Any tips or observations are welcome, don’t hold back.

Reg, not sure how much you wanted to know about the welder but as I’m obviously a useless fuckpig, I can bring it with me for you to have a go for yourself on Saturday if you want?

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• Nice peice of fabrication there,I'd be proud of that!

Sent from my SM-T560 using Just T4s

Comment

• I seriously can’t wait to get this bitch started.

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

• Yeah looks good that!

I'm assuming this isn't your first time welding? Haha.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                  Yeah looks good that!

I'm assuming this isn't your first time welding? Haha.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
                  Yep, other than a messy fuck up of a sliding door on the camper, yes, it is. Beginners luck?

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• This little bit looks like I know what I’m doing tho:

But I can assure you, I have no clue. Just point and shoot I reckon. Hahaha

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      Yep. I'll replace his spare pump as a thanks for all the help and advice offered.

Reg. I can give Tommy the AXG/ AHY clutch kit too if you still want it @ £75? The new LUK DMF flywheel I'd sell for £200. I'll keep the two used for my builds with the SRE components.

Yep - that'd be great. Cheers!

Comment

• Got a good 2 and half hours in it tonight and got most of it done:

I ordered 70 degree bends instead of 45’s so I’ve had to cut to straighten them out and weld them up again:

Yes they’re also flared boost style ends but they weld fine, I think I ordered all the exhaust stuff when I was pissed up one night so that’ll teach me but it won’t and I’ll do it again.

This is a downpipe now right?

I also did the silencer and short pipe to go out the side. It’s pretty far forward which I how I want it

This welder seems really nice to work with. I’m loving it.

I’ve only a 12-15” section with a bend in it and maybe a small section of straight pipe left to do. I’m doing another half day at work tomorrow so I should be able to tie up quite a few odds and ends. Also, Jez is coming to play too so it should be going this weekend after popping down to Reg. Thanks again for that mate!

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• It’s not all been perfect tho this welding lark. I blew a fucking massive hole in the thin cone reducer thingy lol:

Haha - I turned the power down and built the weld up in the hole again by starting from the outside and working my way round in a circle until I got to the middle. You’d never know after I ground it back. Thank fuck as it would have been a right drama that would have delayed me.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            It’s not all been perfect tho this welding lark. I blew a fucking massive hole in the thin cone reducer thingy lol:

Haha - I turned the power down and built the weld up in the hole again by starting from the outside and working my way round in a circle until I got to the middle. You’d never know after I ground it back. Thank fuck as it would have been a right drama that would have delayed me.

Sent from a muppet
                            Did you have too much of a gap between the two butting parts?

Lots of grinding on the other parts, looks like feed is too high. Appreciate you've not welded before so it could well be your technique rather than the welder.

Buy a flap wheel.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Did you have too much of a gap between the two butting parts?

Lots of grinding on the other parts, looks like feed is too high. Appreciate you've not welded before so it could well be your technique rather than the welder.

Buy a flap wheel.
                              No issue on the gap, I’m not sure what caused it but I turned the welder right down and it’s only on about 30% of max power. Was turn up to half way before I turned it down. Will dial down the wire and see how that goes tomorrow on the list bit. Thanks a bunch for the tips.

I imagine my technique is truly appalling. It’ll come in time. There’s a bloke near me that does welding courses. £80 for half a day one on one tuition. He works all hours too so I can get in outside of work hours/weekends too. He also agreed that taking my own welder will be great which is brilliant.

I bought a flap wheel today, much better now.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Haha - I’ve just realised I used the word “perfect” to describe the other pics and work so far lol - deluded twat.

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X