No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've come to think that the M in TP's "MTDI" means something other than "muppet", answers on a postcard ....
    PS - in English Kev! Thx

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      I've come to think that the M in TP's "MTDI" means something other than "muppet", answers on a postcard ....
      PS - in English Kev! Thx
      Magnificent?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
        I’ll just fit a k16/24 hybrid in the hopes that’ll have a bit more lag and leave the torque until later. The GT2052v in it now hoofs a dirty great lump of torque really low down.
        If only there was something you could do to the VNT turbos to stop the low down torque, what about if you set the vanes in a fixed position, that might work? Sure I read something somewhere about doing that ....I think the same person might have predicted you fucking up a gearbox in short order too...

The trusty old mtdi just carried on though. If I had one of those shitty new fangled ECU things it would have broken down and died, FACT, and there’s no telling me otherwise LMFAO!
        The ECU will not let you break a gearbox...mostly because it spends all its time in limp mode.

Oh and the QA adjuster in a TDI pump has 2.45mm maximum travel
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 10 February 2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Magnificent?

I know what the T stands for .......Twp

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

If only there was something you could do to the VNT turbos to stop the low down torque, what about if you set the vanes in a fixed position, that might work? Sure I read something somewhere about doing that ....I think the same person might have predicted you fucking up a gearbox in short order too...

The ECU will not let you break a gearbox...mostly because it spends all its time in limp mode.

Oh and the QA adjuster in a TDI pump has 2.45mm maximum travel

Wouldn’t the turbo be laggy if the vanes were stuck open ? kind of defeats the object of having a variable vane turbo ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
              Wouldn’t the turbo be laggy if the vanes were stuck open ? kind of defeats the object of having a variable vane turbo ?
              In theory yes, but theory is bullshit when you are dealing with pissy little turbos and shitty gurt diesel motors, chuck fuel at it, plenty of gas energy = spinny spinny

Besides I used Tommys quote...

I’ll just fit a k16/24 hybrid in the hopes that’ll have a bit more lag
              He used to bitch and moan like a little girl, "waaa, waaa, waaa, it'll be laggy, it'll be rubbish, i'm gonna do it my way etc etc etc"
              He is finally coming round to the same conclusion others did years before about VNT control....eventually he'll make the actual revelation that mtdis suck dog dick..... but that is a long way off. baby steps Kev...baby steps.

Comment

In theory yes, but theory is bullshit when you are dealing with pissy little turbos and shitty gurt diesel motors, chuck fuel at it, plenty of gas energy = spinny spinny

Besides I used Tommys quote...

He used to bitch and moan like a little girl, "waaa, waaa, waaa, it'll be laggy, it'll be rubbish, i'm gonna do it my way etc etc etc"
                He is finally coming round to the same conclusion others did years before about VNT control....eventually he'll make the actual revelation that mtdis suck dog dick..... but that is a long way off. baby steps Kev...baby steps.
                NONSENSE MAURICE!!!

The vgt is epic. Spectacular some would say. I knew the box would be a weak point and after the next goes tits I’ll find, overhaul and fit an 02G. Mtdi sucks dick but it doesn’t stop running..... even through all the drama and setup, pump build, blah blah blah. It’s never seen a hard shoulder......

To quote you back “He’ll just ignore me and do it his own way anyway” which I couldn’t have done without yours and other wisdom and guidance. I’m very lucky to have such a great bunch here helping this fucking useless moron bumble through it all.

Non of the issues bother or worry me, it’s all good fun. I genuinely don’t get all het up about failures, especially expected ones. I’m no pessimist. I’m a realist and a stubborn **** too. I love how the VGT works so I’ll keep it for now, this will mean I’ll eat clutches and gearboxes, oh well lol

Fuck it I say.

#vanlife

Comment

• I used to have lag on my Vw k14. If I go for the k16/24 hybrid my hope is that the more air mass it’ll shift, it should actually be the better of the 2 WG turbos despite having larger wheels.

#vanlife

Comment

• I'd imagine adjusting the lock, opening the vanes a tad rather than closure and increasing the AR from japs eye to arsehole sized would delay the variable pressures enough to stem the torque to kick in later (1500-1800rpm would be the aim) and keep the turbo , clutch and gearbox happier.

Comment

• Try locking the vanes.... you may find that you can barely tell any difference, go on you might like it.

How can you have lag on a K14, they remind me of my penis.

Comment

Try locking the vanes.... you may find that you can barely tell any difference, go on you might like it.

How can you have lag on a K14, they remind me of my penis.
                        I dunno but mine was shite. Maybe too much intercooler? It will s a big cooler when you consider what mk4’s come with.

#vanlife

Comment

• I’ve found an incredible deal on an 02b. It’s fairly local and just been rebuilt with all bearings, syncro and 5th upgrade. I’ll stick this in for the short term until something stronger comes up like an 02g or a 6 speed. I’ve also ordered a Sachs “silent” 228mm clutch. Fits Corrados and some other stuff. Will go in mine....maybe.

Forgot to mention, when the box first started making noise a few weeks ago. I checked the level, was 1litre low on oil........ they only take 2.3 iirc. This won’t have helped it lol. I’ve never noticed a leak and the fluid was changed about 15 months ago.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!!!

#vanlife

Comment

I dunno but mine was shite. Maybe too much intercooler? It will s a big cooler when you consider what mk4’s come with.

That’s why you need an inter warmer

Comment

• Gearbox bloke says that the EWB’s crown wheel and output shaft are shagged so he’s just charged £25 to strip it and investigate. I’ll possibly stick the .70 5th into the camper. We’ll see.

#vanlife

Comment

• Picked up the (probably temporary) gearbox today and a nifty little turbo for the camper. The bloke had a 130pd (mapped to 175) and matching gearbox. No adaptor plate and a tidy install. It went well - just sounded pants but a good conversion for anyone considering it.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X