No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see you Tommy, shame we didn't have more time, as it was the pump ended up taking far more time than expected. The pump head must have been off and on nearly ten times before we managed to get a total 2.49mm of lift on the pump.had to strip a lot of the pump until I could see what was happening. A bit of grinder action allowed the camplate to sit better which made things no better as the springs in the pump were not long enough to hold the camplate firmly onto the roller followers so it was just skimming over the top of the lobes and giving about 1.4 mm lift. With some longer springs finally the pump piston properly followed the camplate profile.

Thanks to activ for the pump and the clutch.
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 25 July 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• well, no post from Tommy yet, I'm hoping that means one thing, he's fitting the pump and we'll have a running video later.....

Comment

• He says he’s going to work in it on Monday morning.

Fingers crossed for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Good to see you Tommy, shame we didn't have more time, as it was the pump ended up taking far more time than expected. The pump head must have been off and on nearly ten times before we managed to get a total 2.49mm of lift on the pump.had to strip a lot of the pump until I could see what was happening. A bit of grinder action allowed the camplate to sit better which made things no better as the springs in the pump were not long enough to hold the camplate firmly onto the roller followers so it was just skimming over the top of the lobes and giving about 1.4 mm lift. With some longer springs finally the pump piston properly followed the camplate profile.

Thanks to activ for the pump and the clutch.
          Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Any pics?
            I hope not.

We didn't have time for photos, though I did get the digital calipers out and we did some measuring with numbers and stuff, you'd have loved it.....then we realised the errors of my ways and busted the grinder out and did some proper engineering.

I've got the bare bones of a TDI pump now, was wondering... if I connect the output of the throttle pedal (0-5v) directly to the QA mechanism will I get a fly-by-wire psuedo mtdi where I can loose the shitty ecu sensor laden bullshit that keeps limping on me and just wind up boost and fuel until I get 300 brake?

Comment

I hope not.

We didn't have time for photos, though I did get the digital calipers out and we did some measuring with numbers and stuff, you'd have loved it.....then we realised the errors of my ways and busted the grinder out and did some proper engineering.

I've got the bare bones of a TDI pump now, was wondering... if I connect the output of the throttle pedal (0-5v) directly to the QA mechanism will I get a fly-by-wire psuedo mtdi where I can loose the shitty ecu sensor laden bullshit that keeps limping on me and just wind up boost and fuel until I get 300 brake?
              Shame about the lack of pics. You just don't see this good stuff come to light. Can't believe you didn't check the timing lift after doing it?

I was thinking along the same lines with the drive-by-wire thinking.

Which map version are you running?
              Have you actually loaded the updated map? Have you stuck your 0.26's in yet?

Last edited by Activ8; 25 July 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

well, no post from Tommy yet, I'm hoping that means one thing, he's fitting the pump and we'll have a running video later.....
                Hahaha no, I didn’t get home until nearly 7, the traffic was hideous on the M5, stop start for miles so I got in and shuffled off to the shed to find a temporary fitting for the LDA boost pipe. Then I got Weston’s and the rest is history.

I’m still mulling over how to do up the crank bolt without the kit......

I did the whole round trip on one tank tho. Not bad for a V6 4mo at 70+vat on the way down and about 7 miles per hour on the way back. About 465 miles.

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

Can't believe you didn't check the timing lift after doing it?

Burned hahahahahaha

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

Shame about the lack of pics. You just don't see this good stuff come to light. Can't believe you didn't check the timing lift after doing it?
                    Neither do I - blame a rush to get it back to Tommy and complacency - I didn;t even need to do a lift check, just spinning the pulley told me enough, it span way too freely

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Which map version are you running?
                    4... I think - It's been fine because I've not been on a run for ages, then on the north devon link road it's doing the same, limping at 65 with no throttle on, complaining about boost....well duur, I've got no pedal in, why would I even want boost? Stupid ecu crap

Have you actually loaded the updated map?
                    yep.

Have you stuck your 0.26's in yet?
                    nope, they are rusting on the shelf, may just sell the whole shitting lot and buy something else.

Comment

• Massive thanks to Reg for today, I learned so much about these pumps it’s unbelievable. I truly owe you BIG time Reg.

Genuinely, no joke, I’m actually so much happier that it went tits up the first time and I had the opportunity to pick your brains in person and mull some stuff over. That’s worth ten times it’s weight in gold. Really. It doesn’t take half a brain cell to realise the value in the visit to Cheesetowers Diesel Tuning Company.

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                        Then I got Weston’s and the rest is history.
                        TBH - I thought that may be the case, bloody long day for you and I guess the urge to get the engine fired up is really strong but not THAT strong.

Good to see you bud.

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                        Massive thanks to Reg for today, I learned so much about these pumps it’s unbelievable. I truly owe you BIG time Reg.

Genuinely, no joke, I’m actually so much happier that it went tits up the first time and I had the opportunity to pick your brains in person and mull some stuff over. That’s worth ten times it’s weight in gold. Really. It doesn’t take half a brain cell to realise the value in the visit to Cheesetowers Diesel Tuning Company.
                        Shame we didn't have more time and weren't supposed to be distancing, I could have properly taken you though the details of the pump, perhaps I can fuck something else for you in the future.

Lets not tempt fate... lets face it, todays pump was a rush job.

Last edited by regcheeseman; 25 July 2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• I owe this forum a lot for this engine build. It wouldn’t have been as straight forward and informed without JustT4’s. Mainly to Rob, Reg, Jez and many of you for support.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

TBH - I thought that may be the case, bloody long day for you and I guess the urge to get the engine fired up is really strong but not THAT strong.

Good to see you bud.
                            Yes mate, really good to see you too. Was great to chew the fat and talk bollocks for a bit whilst scratching your head lol.

I am savagely looking forward to getting it fired up. Fingers crossed it’ll be tomorrow.

Rob has a brilliant idea about a JustT4’s YouTube channel for us to all have access to. I’ll get it set up when I takes some vids of the old nail fired up.

Also, just remembered “are you staying down for the weekend?” Hahahahaha!

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

I hope not.

I notice you’re coming round to my way of think with ditching the shitty sensors and ECU bollocks.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

Good to see you bud.

Shame we didn't have more time and weren't supposed to be distancing, I could have properly taken you though the details of the pump, perhaps I can fuck something else for you in the future.

Lets not tempt fate... lets face it, todays pump was a rush job.

Let’s book in next Saturday then in advance and I’ll trailer the van down lol

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X