The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Looking at that photo again, that cv could have gone a lot lower in the subframe cut out and made the the gearbox more horizontal, and lifted the front edge of the engine up - but then that would either push the turbo through the bulkhead or push the whole lot forward and end up with silly driveshaft angles and driveshafts that seem to last 6 months between rebuilds as I've seen on a lot of these PD installs.
    Well done tommyp and hans on engine out!

Im probably talking shite over my ability but I'm sure d9 mentioned before the driveshaft angle on the pd in a t4 is severe. That photo it looks fairly straight? I'm assuming altering it to lift sump like Reg suggested would make the driveshaft angle more severe??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

If it's another ham fisted botched up sump scraper you can shove it in yer coal bunker.
      That aint a lowered van, lowered vans have engine lifts...
      It’s lower than standard which means it’s lowered. It doesn’t have to be on the floor like these bald headed long bearded twats that own vans but can’t drive them anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

Looking at that photo again, that cv could have gone a lot lower in the subframe cut out and made the the gearbox more horizontal, and lifted the front edge of the engine up - but then that would either push the turbo through the bulkhead or push the whole lot forward and end up with silly driveshaft angles and driveshafts that seem to last 6 months between rebuilds as I've seen on a lot of these PD installs.
        Maybe the bottom could have been moved away a bit further but I’m not sure it would be any different one sump height.

The 2.5 has a 6mm plate to spin the box round. Which only needed the release mech packing of the housing 6mm whilst retaining all the other standard parts. Easy!

#vanlife

Comment

• My Sachs clutch is being exchanged tomorrow. I got it from carparts4less.co.uk but the shitty plastic tabs on the release bearing were broken in transit. I spoke to them about it today (took only 2 minutes to get through to a real person) and their customer service was spot on. They only asked that I book a day for collecting the old one so they can authorise sending out the new one. They’re collecting and delivering tomorrow. Quite impressed and happy with that. Wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Maybe the bottom could have been moved away a bit further but I’m not sure it would be any different one sump height.

The 2.5 has a 6mm plate to spin the box round. Which only needed the release mech packing of the housing 6mm whilst retaining all the other standard parts. Easy!
            Aye, rotating the engine around the centre line of the crank would put the CV central in the cut out in the subframe (it's very close to the top at the moment) would swing the head back towards bulkhead (probably too close already) and lift up the front of the gearbox and sump, at the moment it's sloping down at the front.#

6mm plate! all the adaptor plates I found were 18mm+ , I thought I was being a bit dodgy with 12mm plate but that gave 6.5 turns of a 12mm thread, which is 'safe', however some holes have hollow dowels and they rob a few mm of thread. I'd not feel safe with a 6mm plate, especially as I used ally, steel may well be fine.

didnt pack the flywheel then? so the starter gear only just engages on the ring gear?

guess it work though and he's not got a workshop cluttered up with loads of dusty crap.

Comment

6mm plate! all the adaptor plates I found were 18mm+ , I thought I was being a bit dodgy with 12mm plate but that gave 6.5 turns of a 12mm thread, which is 'safe', however some holes have hollow dowels and they rob a few mm of thread. I'd not feel safe with a 6mm plate, especially as I used ally, steel may well be fine.

didnt pack the flywheel then? so the starter gear only just engages on the ring gear?
              I’ve never seen an auto flex plate as thick as 6mm......

Ah now he said he used a steel I’ve never heard of, oil hardened steel of some sort. Coal hardened?!? I’ll ask him.

#vanlife

Comment

• Today me, my bro in law (who some may remember from action) and Fritz got nearly all of the engine sorted. The engine and box are now in. Whilst i had the front off I also did the following:

Manifold leak was a temp bodge I did on the EGR blank so I got a gasket adapted and fitted.
                Coolant sensor flange
                Thermostat flange
                Few coolant hose repairs
                Slave cylinder
                Long pivot throttle spindle for the pump
                And a few other random bits I can’t remember
                Front panels back on
                Coolant in (though seeping out of thermo housing which may be a schoolboy error on my part)
                Power steering fluid.
                Pump bleed

Just got the injectors to bleed now and maybe have the thermo housing off to flip the seal round to the right way lol. Then it’s just IP and fueling setup. I think this is now Frankenpump V1.5. Should be running very soon after getting back on it tomorrow.

The clutch feels shit. I bled the slave then the top nipple but that may have been the wrong way round. The most annoying thing is I need to do the master too but that’s gonna mean the van needs moving to get the drivers door open to get at it so it’ll have to work first then be done again lol. Anyone got a decent method of bleeding these? I’ve got an easibleed and it shifts loads of fluid through the clutch fairly quickly.

The gearbox oil that came out didn’t look the best. It was brown and creamy but without the engine running it selects gears far more positively than my old box ever did so hopefully it’ll be fine. We’ve changed the oil in it anyway and I’ll do it again in a couple of weeks. This box will only be a temporary one anyway as it’ll either be no good to start with or no doubt the engine will kill it dead by the end of the year. I’ll look out for an 02G or try an 02m conversion if I can get the info out the blokes I got the gearbox froms cousin.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                  Today me, my bro in law (who some may remember from action) and Fritz got nearly all of the engine sorted. The engine and box are now in. Whilst i had the front off I also did the following:

Manifold leak was a temp bodge I did on the EGR blank so I got a gasket adapted and fitted.
                  Coolant sensor flange
                  Thermostat flange
                  Few coolant hose repairs
                  Slave cylinder
                  Long pivot throttle spindle for the pump
                  And a few other random bits I can’t remember
                  Front panels back on
                  Coolant in (though seeping out of thermo housing which may be a schoolboy error on my part)
                  Power steering fluid.
                  Pump bleed

Just got the injectors to bleed now and maybe have the thermo housing off to flip the seal round to the right way lol. Then it’s just IP and fueling setup. I think this is now Frankenpump V1.5. Should be running very soon after getting back on it tomorrow.

The clutch feels shit. I bled the slave then the top nipple but that may have been the wrong way round. The most annoying thing is I need to do the master too but that’s gonna mean the van needs moving to get the drivers door open to get at it so it’ll have to work first then be done again lol. Anyone got a decent method of bleeding these? I’ve got an easibleed and it shifts loads of fluid through the clutch fairly quickly.

The gearbox oil that came out didn’t look the best. It was brown and creamy but without the engine running it selects gears far more positively than my old box ever did so hopefully it’ll be fine. We’ve changed the oil in it anyway and I’ll do it again in a couple of weeks. This box will only be a temporary one anyway as it’ll either be no good to start with or no doubt the engine will kill it dead by the end of the year. I’ll look out for an 02G or try an 02m conversion if I can get the info out the blokes I got the gearbox froms cousin.

Nice work Tom

Comment

• Some clutchs can be a pig to bleed. I reverse bleed them from the nipple back with an oil can i keep specially for the job.Just dont forget and oil your door hinges with it.

Comment

• I’ll grab one of these tomorrow then just in case:

#vanlife

Comment

• https://youtu.be/Af0SYcbzIbo

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Cheers Neil. That’s handy. You’d have thought that an easibleed forcing fluid through from the reservoir at 20psi would be enough!

#vanlife

Comment

• The van lives again. Finished a few bits off then struggled bleeding it so decided I may as well swap the master and struggle some more but know that I’d not have to do it all again. Fitted the clutch reinforcing bracket too whilst I was there. Hooked up the easibleed and it was done in seconds so maybe the master was a bit wanky.

Selects and moves in all gears but when you push the clutch right to the very floor it makes a bizarre noise: https://youtu.be/Sl0K4PtlGcM

It’s only right at the very bottom and because I’m a lazy twat I rarely press it to the floor anyway so I’ll just leave it. It’s only a temporary box anyway so I’m not having it out again as I don’t think I really need to at this point. Haven’t taken it on a proper road test though to see if the clutch is up to the job.

The new larger pivoting throttle spindle made setting it up a dream. I’ve indexed the throttle on the shaft so rather than following regs guide and getting it to compress the gov spring about 10mm from touching the pump body I’ve got it on a spline further round so it’s holding the throttle a tad higher and compressing the gov spring sooner so I can turn the fuel down more. I got it running and foot to floor revving with zero smoke at all. I’ve knocked it up but maybe a tad too much so I’ll tweak it a bit tomorrow. This pump now feels fantastic compared to all the other ones I/we have experimented with up until now. Maybe this is the result I’ve been looking for or even the finished article. It revs up clean and fast and returns back down quickly too and idles clean. Easy as hell to set up and tweak with no knife edge adjustments like the ones before. Something feels very right about this one.

I’ll get it set up perfectly which I imagine will only take me a few minutes tomorrow night and think about getting booked in for a dyno in the next couple weeks after a few hundred miles to make sure it’s good and before this gearbox and/or clutch gets shagged.

Oil leak gone too thank fuck as most of the jobs I’m on have been tarmac’d now or block paved.

Thermo housing still weeping so I’ve got a new stat and seal coming tomorrow and that should sort it.

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh and I managed to sneak this up the top of the drive in the dead of night. Don’t tell the other half!
                              I can almost smell the turbo build now....

#vanlife

Comment

• You'll be getting friendly with Al Shurety at some point then...great bloke, knows his VRTs

Question is, what is that carrying the VR?

I’ve indexed the throttle on the shaft so rather than following regs guide and getting it to compress the gov spring about 10mm from touching the pump body I’ve got it on a spline further round so it’s holding the throttle a tad higher and compressing the gov spring sooner so I can turn the fuel down more.
                                What the absolute fuck?
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 21 February 2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X