The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S49 View Post

Strange thing was to get it to start crisply, full well and not smoke it was retarded by about a tooth. Still haven't got my head round that
    Could have also been down to pump differences but as you know Si, the ABL has a non turbo pump from the factory with no LDA lid fitted. The difference between our already tweaked ABL to doing the pump mods and LDA lid is night and day. Like a different engine. Pulls clean and hard through the rev range. Makes you realise how much of a compromise the standard ABL pump is.

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

Ran our ABL on a none turbo golf 3 pump while Reg rebuilt our pump this time last year. There's stuff out there to keep em going.
      “There’s stuff out there to keep them going” I know I always bang on about it but this is exactly why I stick with the mechanical pump stuff. More reliable and far less complex, I simply don’t have the time to piss around with vagcom/VCDS or whatever it’s called. Rob is a wizard with it but he really is exception in this regard with his precision and knowledge, far more than the average Joe like me that owes and runs these vehicles.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• Still not sure how to power the pick up. Not sure if the 2.4 even runs, its got soldered tamper proof wires on all the adjustments so it should all be factory. need to do inner sill clean and paint the shell underside before I can think of fitting the tank. I may rig up a gallon can to hang on the wing so I can trundle it about and proof the motor and box are ok.

Comment

• Never a truer word said Tommy. But Michelle's having none of it at 6am when I wrote that lol. And it was a hour. I still can't get my head round why there are 6 grooves for the rollers on your old 1

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Still not sure how to power the pick up. Not sure if the 2.4 even runs, its got soldered tamper proof wires on all the adjustments so it should all be factory. need to do inner sill clean and paint the shell underside before I can think of fitting the tank. I may rig up a gallon can to hang on the wing so I can trundle it about and proof the motor and box are ok.
            It’s a 2.4, it’ll run. Tame they may be but they are reliable. When do you reckon you’ll have it on the road?

The old boys 2.4 with DMF and 5-6psi is so comfortable to drive, it sends me to sleep. Not in a bad way, it’s just dangerously relaxing. He’s coming round for me to turn up the boost and other bits tomorrow I think so it’ll be a tad pokier but it already keeps up with modern traffic nicely at tame boost levels.

Sent from a muppet
            Last edited by TommyP; 31 July 2020, 08:30 PM.
            #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
              Never a truer word said Tommy. But Michelle's having none of it at 6am when I wrote that lol. And it was a hour. I still can't get my head round why there are 6 grooves for the rollers on your old 1

I don’t know the answer but like it was said, it might be for another engine setup.

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

• On the road? This time next but if i'm honest the year after unless I pull me finger out.Its been 2 years with the blue one and not nearly as much work. Had a lot on mind, still haven't cleared my old workshop but at least Amy is moved in safely at Skiddyminster another 2 or 3 weeks and I should really be able to start boring folk with my photos and updates.

Comment

On the road? This time next but if i'm honest the year after unless I pull me finger out.Its been 2 years with the blue one and not nearly as much work. Had a lot on mind, still haven't cleared my old workshop but at least Amy is moved in safely at Skiddyminster another 2 or 3 weeks and I should really be able to start boring folk with my photos and updates.
                  Yes, I’ve lost count with the amount of build threads that have overtaken yours lol.

Looking forward to the updates. Pickups aren’t usually my thing but a T4........

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• I'm a bit lonely all the other doka owners seem to have ffed off.Perhaps they didn't want me bombarding them with dull questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                      I don’t know the answer but like it was said, it might be for another engine setup.
                      Fair guess I'd say,

Click image for larger version  Name:	c7f106144bb0f283f663391b1f2b624f (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.9 KB ID:	306833

For pumps that run in the opposite direction, the rollers would be installed in mirror pattern to the above.

Comment

• Thanks Reg. Ill sleep better now I know

Comment

• This is the difference between the 2 roller carriers:

Its all back together now and I’m just putting it back on the van. Lifts to a max of 2.48mm again so that’s good.

Cleaned my leaky injector pipes up so hopefully that’ll hold this time round.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• I found a shim I missed off so it came off and is back on again hahahahahahaha! Thankfully is only one that went behind the flyweight assembly.

What a prick.

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                              I found a shim I missed off so it came off and is back on again hahahahahahaha! Thankfully is only one that went behind the flyweight assembly.

What a prick.

Sent from a muppet
                              Stop putting yourself down. You're doing good. Keep up the struggle.
                              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Come on Tommy. We’re all routing for you matey. You’ll be fine. You can sort it.

Comment

Working...
                                X