No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously? It could actually be just this?! I’ll be thrilled if it is.

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

• Yeh I think so. The roller housing has simply shifted a little.

If Reg has your 2.4d components "try" using those components instead. It will give you more advance than the TDI pump BUT remember with the timing at 0.8-1.0 or more you're already much further advanced than a TDI's 0.55. Which will retard the timing once the temps are up.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• I may take the spacer and shins out tonight then and sticking the dti on it will tell me what the timing is doing after

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• It started first pip this morning btw. Throttle is uber responsive/sensitive and it doesn’t take hardly any pedal movement to get motoring along.

Turbo spools pretty quick and although I can only get 6psi briefly before it tails off due to the fueling (maybe), it’s rather torquey. Using the 2.4td as a benchmark that is.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• When I get home I’m going to get the dti on it before I touch anything to see what effect my pissing around with it has on the timing.

I’ll also see what the dti does when I pull the cold start as that kills the engine at idle and stops it accelerating when driving.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

• I put the dti on the van and set about removing the dynamic advance.

For reference: the cold start gives an additional +0.2 of advance. Unsure of the dynamic. Maybe my spacer was allowing too much movement. Who knows.

I removed the dynamic advance spacer and put that back to standard. No change on static timing.

Spoke to Jez about borrowing his spare pump......again......

I’ll just fit the lid to it and see how it goes if I can’t think of anything else.

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

• Did this sort it Tommy? Do you need my spare pump matey?

Comment

• The dynamic timing should start at where you set the static timing on the dti as theres zero fuel / pump pressure to change it. As the pump pressures rises they overcome the timing spring resistance so the pin rotates the roller holder in the opposite direction to the spinning pump, advancing the injector timing delivery. As the revs rise the pump pressure rises.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                    Did this sort it Tommy? Do you need my spare pump matey?
                    Yes I think I do need it......

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• I think you are getting distracted by the timing mech, it's not causing problems, but the cutting pout when pulled is odd.

Then again...just had a brainwave whilst typing.... there's the phasing of the rollers....and the fact the tdi is timed at 55....I'm thinking that the porting on the pump piston is the problem.

The pump is creating pressure but the injection window is in the wrong position, kinda like if you had the inlet cam completely wrong on a petrol.

This would explain why the top end is not there, why your static timing is balls and possibly give a reason as to why the cold start kills the motor.

Pull the pump, fit the 2.4, wind the fuel up, time it around 1.1 and send the franken pump back.

I'll fit the TDI roller cage (once I've ground a slot in it) and we can try again.

Yep.... the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's the problem.

Or... you could just cut a hole in the top case of a tdi pump and connect the throttle cable to the quantity adjust lever.

Or fit a loom and ecu.
                      Last edited by regcheeseman; 28 July 2020, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                        I think you are getting distracted by the timing mech, it's not causing problems, but the cutting pout when pulled is odd.

Then again...just had a brainwave whilst typing.... there's the phasing of the rollers....and the fact the tdi is timed at 55....I'm thinking that the porting on the pump piston is the problem.

The pump is creating pressure but the injection window is in the wrong position, kinda like if you had the inlet cam completely wrong on a petrol.

This would explain why the top end is not there, why your static timing is balls and possibly give a reason as to why the cold start kills the motor.

Pull the pump, fit the 2.4, wind the fuel up, time it around 1.1 and send the franken pump back.

I'll fit the TDI roller cage (once I've ground a slot in it) and we can try again.

Yep.... the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's the problem.

Or... you could just cut a hole in the top case of a tdi pump and connect the throttle cable to the quantity adjust lever.

Or fit a loom and ecu.
                        Aaahhhhh is this the slot that make room for the flyweight assembly that we were talking about at Cheesetowers? Also the difference in the 5(?) roller Tdi setup?

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

Or fit a loom and ecu.
                          I think I’d rather get shot in the neck with an arrow.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Aaahhhhh is this the slot that make room for the flyweight assembly that we were talking about at Cheesetowers? Also the difference in the 5(?) roller Tdi setup?

Sent from a muppet
                            Yep the very same. Did we get as far as dropping it into position to see if it even fitting into the pump body?

Comment

Yep the very same. Did we get as far as dropping it into position to see if it even fitting into the pump body?
                              I can’t really recall but I don’t think we did. We just saw straight away that the complete circle would be an issue for the flyweight assembly.

I’m seriously hoping it does go in!!!

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• I'll try and get it ground tonight and test fit it in a spare abl pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X