No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers Tommy. Makes perfect sense. 3 rollers in a 4 roller holder 90° (?) phasing whereas the 5 roller is 72° phasing. So the 5 cylinder camplate still pumps to all 5 cylinders but its 18° out of phase?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Last edited by Activ8; 30 July 2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
      I understand that with this being out, I’ve timed up to get it to run and what’s left of the little delivery ports or holes in the pump head is too little too late to run properly at much over 2k revs.

I don’t claim to fully understand so I probably shouldn’t be trying to explain it.
      Nope, you've got it.

Or at least, that's my feeling of what is going on as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Cheers Tommy. Makes perfect sense. 3 rollers in a 4 roller holder 90° (?) phasing whereas the 5 roller is 72° phasing. So the 5 cylinder camplate still pumps to all 5 cylinders but its 18° out of phase?

Not got too scientific about the angle but it’s out to some degree.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
          It’s very interesting even though I don’t understand it.
          I struggle hard to understand whats going on aswell. I've spent the last hour flicking between Tommy's pics of pumps and Regs vid doing a comparison. I think I'm getting it. Its same when they bang on about turbos, wastegates and such. I've to read everything about 20 times to have half a clue.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• His 4 roller holder doesn't look 90° though??

Although its running 3 rollers in pic.. To me it looks like there's grooves for 6 rollers to run in??? That's total threw me???
            Last edited by Fife t4; 31 July 2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Yes I know your pic is clearly not 90° for the 3x roller holders but its my way of clarifying whats happening to the phasing.
              All good fun..

Comment

• Yup all good fun. Its like testing myself trying to follow it. I've noticed the grooves the 3 rollers are located in have marks on their outside edge. The other 3 possible roller grooves don't. Maybe for a different set up?? Totally irrelevant to whats going on lol

Comment

• What makes me chuckle about these vans is their desire to run. Tommy took this for test drives & to work despite it only revving to about 3k, timing massively advanced - if this was anything but a basic diesel T4 it would be throwing a paddy and lighting up on the dash instilling fear - bloody excellent. WELL DONE TOMMY.

Comment

• Yep, I have sheds loads of faith in the ole things. When ours has been a none runner its always limped home first....so far. If the pump don't go or the cambelt bust theres lots you can do to "get you home" especially if you use your brain and kept a few handy spares(alt belts) cable ties and a few old spanners in a tin box in the van.

Comment

• It’s fair to say I’ve put this van through hell during its couple of years with me.

When people ask me why I’m changing the engine and doing something so bizarre, I honestly don’t really have an answer. The closest I can get is what Jez said “because it’s fun”. That’s probably about it. Yeah the old one clicked it’s tits off at speed or when I was battering it and the head gasket was gone but it wouldn’t lived for ages longer with some maintenance and TLC. Even with how I drive it.

It’s just great pissing around with filthy old diesels.

My emergency Cheesetowers Diesel Emporium parcel arrived. We’ve got savage thunderstorms and all my work has to be outside as we are peasants without a garage, I’ll be on it in the morning.

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        What makes me chuckle about these vans is their desire to run. Tommy took this for test drives & to work despite it only revving to about 3k, timing massively advanced - if this was anything but a basic diesel T4 it would be throwing a paddy and lighting up on the dash instilling fear - bloody excellent. WELL DONE TOMMY.

GOD BLESS THE MECHANICAL PUMP!!!! HORRAH!

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
                          I struggle hard to understand whats going on aswell. I've spent the last hour flicking between Tommy's pics of pumps and Regs vid doing a comparison. I think I'm getting it. Its same when they bang on about turbos, wastegates and such. I've to read everything about 20 times to have half a clue.

An hour? You seriously need to get laid lol.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Ran our ABL on a none turbo golf 3 pump while Reg rebuilt our pump this time last year. There's stuff out there to keep em going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
                              Yup all good fun. Its like testing myself trying to follow it. I've noticed the grooves the 3 rollers are located in have marks on their outside edge. The other 3 possible roller grooves don't. Maybe for a different set up?? Totally irrelevant to whats going on lol

In all fairness and especially when compared to the likes of Reg, Rob and various others on here, I’m seriously lacking in-depth knowledge of many aspects of what I’m doing. As I said fairly early on, I’m winging it. The turbo was only chosen because it was fitted to 180bhp Audi V6 diesels and my aim is 200bhp. That’s it. No major research or calculations (which there probably should have been), just that.

My signature and title of this thread does say it all. I will say this though, I originally hoped to have it swapped in one weekend but I have, so far, been without it for 3 weeks. Despite that and with it having gone less than perfectly, I’ve had the chance to go and see Reg again, who so many people (including me and people from other forums, just google him) consider to be the last word in Bosch VE fuckmuppetry, and learn so much more than a simple swap would have let me, I’m actually rather pleased that it did go tits up. I’ve learned so much. If it goes tits again or this doesn’t work, fuck it. We’ll play some more.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Ran our ABL on a none turbo golf 3 pump while Reg rebuilt our pump this time last year. There's stuff out there to keep em going.
                                Strange thing was to get it to start crisply, full well and not smoke it was retarded by about a tooth. Still haven't got my head round that

Comment

Working...
                                X