X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

Its shite , never worked and so last century or was it the century before ?
    It works/worked great for me you Welsh twat and you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by S49 View Post

Whats the reasoning behind ditching the MTDI?
    Time. I can’t be arsed to keep pulling the pump to tweak the internals to perfect it. It makes really great torque but doesn’t provide smooth power up top. It’ll pull a house down and makes mince meat of the digger on the trailer in every department hills, junctions etc but won’t do massive amounts above 4K. So it doesn’t give consistent smooth power. It’s all in the timing, dynamic advance and a couple other little niggles.

Ultimately, I don’t actually need to ditch the mTdi at all but rational thinking has never been my forte and I’m highly impulsive. I had the idea in my head of going ECU for a couple months but never seriously considered it. The latest gearbox carnage has obviously pulled it off the road so me and some Famous Grouse just decided we may as well.

Leave a comment:

• Fruitbat
    replied

Its shite , never worked and so last century or was it the century before ?

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Almost, I’m also changing the timing belt as it’s drenched in out and I think I’ve got to helicoil the cam caps as I’m sure the leak is from them being over tightened. I’ll probably shave the metal spacers down a tad too so it clamps down a bit better.

The loom and conversion is pretty simple and like the non Tdi looms it’s glaringly obvious what plugs into what. There’s just some confusion surrounding the Volvo pump as a few people have said I may need to re pin the plug as they wire slightly differently. I’ll need to get hold of some diagrams I think.

Leave a comment:

• arfur fox-acre
    replied
    I can make an honest hours graft stretch over two days, make no mistake. It's an art form, I promise. When in Rome.....

Leave a comment:

• Fruitbat
    replied
    Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

What pressure? He only works 3 hours a day. Mind, you don't want to know what he gets up to the reat of the day.
    Pressure.......pfffffft!
    I bet you can’t string together 3 hours work

Leave a comment:

• arfur fox-acre
    replied

Hahahaha! Twat.

Harsh but justifiable.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied

So your ready to start fitting? I'll be following with interest mate.
    Almost, I’m also changing the timing belt as it’s drenched in out and I think I’ve got to helicoil the cam caps as I’m sure the leak is from them being over tightened. I’ll probably shave the metal spacers down a tad too so it clamps down a bit better.

The loom and conversion is pretty simple and like the non Tdi looms it’s glaringly obvious what plugs into what. There’s just some confusion surrounding the Volvo pump as a few people have said I may need to re pin the plug as they wire slightly differently. I’ll need to get hold of some diagrams I think.

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied

Engine loom.
    Cluster, surround and loom.
    Throttle pedal and loom.
    MAF sensor.
    Tdi airbox lid to take MAF.
    MAP sensor somewhere (probably in place of the blow off valve).
    ECU + Acceptable (pref 180 bhp) starter map.
    Connect crank sensor and needle lift already fitted.
    Volvo D5252T pump, bracket and tdi tensioner+guide setup.

There’s bound to be more I’ve either forgotten or don’t know about.

You asked…………

So your ready to start fitting? I'll be following with interest mate.

Leave a comment:

• huskyman
    replied
    Tommy I will find out from work

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    The 02G gearbox should be ready to collect Thursday and the clutch is ready to pick up now. The gearbox is the early type so it’s got that shitty cable plunger pin thingy in it but I’ve had the rebuilder delete that by making a small tweak inside the box. Literally a 2 minute job with a grinder. It’s having all new bearings and synchros as necessary. Should last longer than all the previous shitty 02b’s that seem to be made from wednesleydale.

The 02g gearbox mount is here and I’ve ordered the clutch pipe and clip. Concentric slave landed a few days ago.

Starter motor seems to bolt up fine so I should be able to reuse that.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    How are you gong to ECU it. Get a complete TDI loom and run to the fuse box?
    Engine loom.
    Cluster, surround and loom.
    Throttle pedal and loom.
    MAF sensor.
    Tdi airbox lid to take MAF.
    MAP sensor somewhere (probably in place of the blow off valve).
    ECU + Acceptable (pref 180 bhp) starter map.
    Connect crank sensor and needle lift already fitted.
    Volvo D5252T pump, bracket and tdi tensioner+guide setup.

There’s bound to be more I’ve either forgotten or don’t know about.

You asked…………

Last edited by TommyP; 9 November 2021, 11:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by huskyman View Post
    Tommy. I have a set of front brakes off of a sharan 300mm up fo grabs
    Got those on this van, how much do you want for them as I’m mildly interested for the camper. Not bothered about condition as I’ll strip and rebuild them regardless.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    You could fit a paddle type clutch plate. Sachs sell a 228mm 4 paddle but there's a 6 paddle available.

I like the idea of relining. I was advised similar with an SMF setup. Knowing the materials and surface areas, the clutch forces can be calculated easy enough. A twin plate with an SMF could also be fitted.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s
    I’ll take a look for the 4 paddle. Paddle clutches always seem strange to me, less material = more bite? Sounds illogical. Must be a simple explanation, never looked into it.

Relining: works for the commercial industry for trucks and coaches…..: This is my 228mm next to a man sized clutch.

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    How are you gong to ECU it. Get a complete TDI loom and run to the fuse box?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X