The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans View Post
    Thank's mate. Looking to fit a land rover oil cooler ( almost same shape as yours)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
    For your box? How’s it going, you picked up another didn’t you? Did you swap out the valve body?

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

Another pair of tyres today.

That’s 8 tyres done in just about 21 months and 65kish miles.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

Still on my endless ttd list. My torque converter comes up as mechanical fauld on obd. Maybe it's a good time to change it an do the timing chain whilst no much left .

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
          Still on my endless ttd list. My torque converter comes up as mechanical fauld on obd. Maybe it's a good time to change it an do the timing chain whilst no much left .

Haha timing chain! What a job on them!! I’m just going to get another engine for the Golf, completely rebuild it and do a turbo build on it. I’m not even going to attempt anything on that with the engine still in the car as it’s so tight that it just looks like a car built around an engine.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

As you guys may remember me saying, my clutch wasn’t brilliant after slapping the turbo on it so with a lot of help from Activ, I got a Valeo SMF conversion and clutch kit (valeo part no. 835035). I was stacked out with work as always so I gave it to a mate to do:

Only downside was despite being sure it had one when I checked, my SMF flywheel doesn’t have a tdc mark so I’d strongly recommend anyone doing this conversion punch a mark on the flywheel.

After reading up I decided to get a new clutch fork and reinforce it whilst I was going about it all:

The new clutch is great and holds all the power under some very demanding situations, heavy traffic towing, Hill starts towing etc. It just makes a slight rattling noise with the SMF when my foot is off the clutch.

Also, with the clutch being slightly larger (228mm as opposed to 220mm iirc) there are now a few more upgrade options available (which I’ll be looking at when the mTdi vgt goes in it)

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

I used this info from Valeo to find out where TDC should be:

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

Found a pic that almost shows the racking in the back. It hasn’t looked this tidy in months....

And yes I do carry a porta potty in it for long distances without services (stomach problems etc) and sites without loos but no, it doesn’t live there normally, I have a gap for it in the racking on the right and have no idea why it wasn’t in there lol

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

Saying that about the TDC mark, did the ABL ever have a DMF? As on ours I've never found a TDC mark.When I first had the head off I DTI'ed no one piston and engraved the crank sprocket and case.

Comment

My ABL has the mark but I’m unsure about them having a DMF, I think they don’t but don’t quote me on it. Jumbungla among others would know, he swapped his clutch and poss flywheel fairly recently.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

I thought they wouldn't have a DMF. It just made me think reading your post as I've never been able to find the TDC mark..

Comment

Still got loads of old stuff to post up but I’ll get round to that.

Started getting rid of the paint and corrective paste on the rear arches ready for new metal. I used medium grade flaps and my 4”. It’s all I’ve got but I make it work haha.

The cills look really good to be fair so I’ll just key them up and repaint them. The front arches will possibly need doing and I’m going to get new wings as I attempted one a few months ago but it’s dented too so I couldn’t be arsed to fuck about with it and just blasted it with white to keep it tidy then I stuck it back on.

I’m very highly inexperienced with bodywork and paint but fuck it I reckon, giving it a go.

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

Good on you. Me too. But rather a bit imperfect then chucking thousands off pounds on a body shop. I have been quoted 6k for welding and respray.

Comment

6 grand? And they wouldn't have put the care and attention you have into the inner arch and under bonnet you have mate.

Comment

I have a feeling Tommy the left arch on our white is not as good as yours under the filler.

Comment

Just hope the mot man is happy with it as i am no expert

Comment

Working...
                                X