No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I changed the oil cooler and gasket on mine a few months back, pretty easy to do. If it was me I'd definitely do that before the head gasket! Haha

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
      Yeah I changed the oil cooler and gasket on mine a few months back, pretty easy to do. If it was me I'd definitely do that before the head gasket! Haha

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
      Hoping mine came with a gasket......

Will find out tomorrow. It’s going to take some flushing to shift the shit out of the coolant. Going to get it up to temp and flush it with clean water until it runs clear and then refill with coolant and perhaps run it the week and do it again depending on the results. Should be covering around 1000 miles this week so I’ll know fairly quickly if it was the cooler.

Sent from a muppet
      Last edited by TommyP; 23 May 2020, 09:16 PM.
      #vanlife

Comment

Hi. Tommy. My temp gauge. Went sky high on that hill. Loaded with fishing gear. I put heater on and it came down nicely.. That hill is a long way from start to finish

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
          Hi. Tommy. My temp gauge. Went sky high on that hill. Loaded with fishing gear. I put heater on and it came down nicely.. That hill is a long way from start to finish

Good luck
          I’ve done that hill a few times with the trailer at about 2.5t and my temp never moves.

It is a pretty savage hill. I end up down to 55mph at the top!

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

Well the oil cooler is a **** of a job.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              Well the oil cooler is a **** of a job.

Sent from a muppet
              Is that the 1.9 or 2.4?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post

Is that the 1.9 or 2.4?
                The 2.4. The coolant hoses were stuck on which doesn’t sound too bad I grant you but access isn’t brilliant.

Flushed system, did oil and filter while I was there and swapped my leaky coolant hose for one of the old boys until I can get one delivered.

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

Hopefully to drop the head for a skim tomorrow and have the new tappets fitted.

Got the mamba wastegate actuator now but the threaded rod may be a tad too long so I may have to get some stainless threaded bar, I’ll have to check but the shortest one supplied (130mm) has some excess thread on it so that might cut down to the right size.

I’ve gone with the yellow spring:

It was a toss up between the yellow and the green but I plan to run about 21psi/1.5bar of boost and I don’t want it opening the games too quickly for the low end grunt but the other side of that is the that I don’t want to let off the gas or being i a cruising situation with the canes closed and choking the engine up when I have higher rpm but low boost acting on the actuator.

I really don’t think I’ve scratched the surface on knowledge of how it’ll work to be honest but I can’t foresee any major issues as yet.

I think the vanes will be operated constantly so along with the LDA on the pump, I’m hoping they won’t clog up to badly but I’m planning for a turbo clean to be added to the servicing/maintenance list.

Going to look at a blow off valve for a final preventative measure of overboost/turbo over speed.

Part of me thinks the Gt2052v might be a bit too small but they work well on the Audi 2.5 V6 tdi’s so I could well be very wrong.

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

I’ve got a 2.5tdi AHY inlet manifold and an AXG exhaust manifold coming from Germany. Activ advised and I think the exhaust manifold will make piping up the downpipe much easier as the Volvo one shifts the turbo over to the side whereas the AXG one sites the turbo in a similar place to my current one.

Also, the exhaust fanimold has a nice long flowing design which should be less turbulent/restrictive than the 88/102 one which will be nice.

The inlet also sends the air in from the far right which will be nice to cut down on a bit of intercooler pipework.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

Errrr, yeah. Sounds about right to me. You continue down that road.

Joking apart, you guys amaze me with all this stuff. Like T4 pioneers.
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Tommy. You want to be running 1 bar max (14.7psi) if you want to hit 200bhp. 1.44bar or 21psi is outside of the scope of this turbo.
                        Here's the same turbo albeit the compressor housing is slightly bigger with a larger airflow. Yours is 0.42 A/R.
                        Last edited by Activ8; 15 June 2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Tommy. You want to be running 1 bar max (14.7psi) if you want to hit 200bhp. 1.44bar or 21psi is outside of the scope of this turbo. Here's the same turbo albeit the compressor housing is slightly bigger with a larger airflow.
                          Where does the 20 lb/min come from - is that the effective displacement of the 2.4?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Where does the 20 lb/min come from - is that the effective displacement of the 2.4?
                            Its the airmass produced by that turbo, its about 10bhp per 1lb/min of airmass (good AFR) according to one of those old skool Turbo books.

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                              Errrr, yeah. Sounds about right to me. You continue down that road.

Joking apart, you guys amaze me with all this stuff. Like T4 pioneers.
                              Paaaaaahahaha! I’m no pioneer! A better description would be a fucking idiot with no clue, just a daft idea and the stubbornness to go through with it lol

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

This is the turbo/setup for the 2.5mTdi. I’m not going down this route with the 2.4td.

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X