No announcement yet.

Northumberland Nato Green Pig 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great reading through your thread mate - you're going a lot of similar things to me, just quicker and better haha!

Your thread gives me hope.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Thanks bud - I think this is a bit of a Corona build - ordered the panels for an Easter start, borrowed a welder then lockdown struck. I’m lucky and can work from home plus the vans on the drive and the weather has been good. I feel like I’m nibbling round the edges though. Mantra “better than it was”.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm like haha. "better than it was before"

I just feel like I finish one bit and just pick at a bit of paint or stonechip and then have another day's work on my hands!! Haha

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

First pair of wheels tickled
          Click image for larger version

Name:	27BE866C-C059-41D0-B24B-35307CE6ABDF.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	299902

Comment

Can you tell which bits I’m avoiding? rear bumpers, new foglight and mirrors back on, painted the drums and back wheels, refitted after undersealing the arches.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	C0D938E3-D88F-42BA-91BB-202C58605346.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	300158
            Last edited by mike_skinner; 4 June 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Another few rounds of filler on the sill repair - it would have been quicker to do it again. Unfortunately the panel had distorted the groove too so I think I can get it close. Today’s been fill then belt sander then fill and repeat. Will need to make a custom sanding block to get it tidy. Side door looking ok now too - needs another round of paint. The lock barrels can all be on one key now finally.
              Attached Files
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Coming along well mate, will be all worth it when its all sorted and your enjoying it!
                http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/597794.png

Comment

Originally posted by campermark71 View Post
                  Coming along well mate, will be all worth it when its all sorted and your enjoying it!
                  thanks bud - booked in for gearbox swap in a couple of weeks so new clutch and linkage with all bushes on order. I'll get him to do the torsion nut free up too. Very reasonable £cough £cash

Comment

Its those repair panels, they are shite. The groves the wrong shape, the rear quarter 8mm to long , is probably is for a lwb ;-) . I struggle to get it right too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Who's panels did you go for Andreas?

Comment

The ones from eBay, from poland, but in the pack was mixed brands

Comment

I'm going to get it as close as I can and then trim a spreader to match the shape - too much filler but needs must in this case and the matt paint is quite forgiving - I remember recovering a CBR1000 that had been crashed at a superstock race at Cadwell park - the tank had been well battered and there must have been about four inches deep of filler under an expensive paint job so it hides a multitude of sins. They even use coloured gaffa tape for repairs so the bikes look good in pictures. In my case at least its not hiding rust and holes - some nightmares out there though. check out some of the posts on Veedub handpainted group on facebook "I dont have a welder and theres loads of holes, what should I do" = buy shares in upol..

there'll not be many places actually making the panels - most of mine are klokkerholm ones but the cardboard wrap says Taiwan - I'd say the central panels sill and VW heritage unbranded rear arch panels were from the same place in the far east - pretty close and as Hans says "more fucking about" to get them to fit.
                          Last edited by mike_skinner; 10 June 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I think someone recently fitted a klokkerholm front wing. Fit didn't seem great on it either. Eagle02 reccomend Central panels to me ages ago. S49 also rates them. I've had 2/3 bits from them now and they are a close fit to the original. I'd recommend them to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

I've got two klokkerholm wings to try to bolt on - the front panel mushroom pins seem fragile - fit looks OK on mine - tight round the arch so might need to reshape / trim the inner so its comfortable. It'll depend on the pressing shop - just need to find if VW sold the tooling used in production and who to! All the panels I've had have been creased on tight corners or cut so have all needed tacked or filled after fitting. "better than it was" = no holes!

Comment

Yes mate. I am not to happy neither, but the main thing is the rust is gone and hopefully more years off quality camping/meeting to come.
                                Off course you could always employ a body shop to do it for u , but if i had to go for everything to a garage the van would be unaffordable for me.
                                So rather a bit off imperfection and a good time .
                                Still better than scrapyard

Comment

Working...
                                X