Northumberland Nato Green Pig 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northumberland Nato Green Pig 1995

The Nato Green Pig - I got it of ebay about 6 years ago with a rubbish paint job (its white underneath, honest), battered 18" RS copies, lowered, dented, the odd hole and the worst bonnet wrap I nave ever seen. A patchwork joy of cheap carbon stickers. Picture the day I bought it (cheap).
    So, ripped out the crap from the back, insulated, veltrimmed on new ply panels, trimmed the headlining, 12v electrics and lights, renault espace seat swivel, patched up a hole in the floor, filled and painted the arches, repainted green, put steels with AT tyres on and HD springs at the back. Clear winkers and a new set of rear bumpers Then the side door literally fell off so had the channel repaired, then the door fell to bits so got a scrapper door and here we are. The colour has grown on me.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 14 photos.

So, here we are now - I'm unsure where to start on the panels. I'm thinking to do the rears first. Then, not sure how to approach the passenger front - it needs wing, arch and sill - do I start at the sill and work up to the arch then wing last? Or do the wing first and work down? The pics show the current state of the arches, and I'm yet to take a screwdriver to the passenger sill - theres a chunk of old filler in there thats blown out (not me) so I dare say theres a hole even though the MOT said "no advisories"
    I've got a joggler for the rear panels so was going to try making an overlap then weld and seam seal / paint inside. If this sounds less than sensible then let me know..
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_skinner View Post
      The Nato Green Pig - I got it of ebay about 6 years ago with a rubbish paint job (its white underneath, honest), battered 18" RS copies, lowered, dented, the odd hole and the worst bonnet wrap I nave ever seen. A patchwork joy of cheap carbon stickers. Picture the day I bought it (cheap).
      So, ripped out the crap from the back, insulated, veltrimmed on new ply panels, trimmed the headlining, 12v electrics and lights, renault espace seat swivel, patched up a hole in the floor, filled and painted the arches, repainted green, put steels with AT tyres on and HD springs at the back. Clear winkers and a new set of rear bumpers Then the side door literally fell off so had the channel repaired, then the door fell to bits so got a scrapper door and here we are. The colour has grown on me.
      Nice work, is the last picture one of those very very very large SUB SUB SUB Woofers? And in orange, oooooh!!! ;-)

Comment

If the wings are welded on have a go at cleaning them up you may be surprised. Have a look at my Blindfaith A Winter Project" build thread about page 15 when I did the inner and outter cills

Comment

Being a bit of a ww2 buff and in the reproduction army canvas trade as well as motor trade background I like a matt green van. I fancy doing a desert sand Afrika Corp Doka at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            If the wings are welded on have a go at cleaning them up you may be surprised. Have a look at my Blindfaith A Winter Project" build thread about page 15 when I did the inner and outter cills
            Passenger wing has a hole so was originally thinking a pop-rivetted patch. Now i'm wanting to fit new panels 'cos i do love a project.. Threre'll be all sorts of crap inside too.
            I've seen your epic thread, thinking sill first, cut the middle of it out and expand outwards.

Comment

Well at least the welded on wings are the cheaper of the 2.

Comment

No turning back now - cut out the old arch and trimmed the repair panel. Bumper mount holes rotten and a few holes on the inner arch. Managed to get a couple of patches before angle grinder died (brushes). Not perfect but the first time doing this so practice. These will be hidden... The panel is a crap fit at the back so I’ve trimmed it down a bit do I have some spare material. Feel free to reprimand / ridicule in case I’ve done something stupid. Not looking forward to welding the outside panel but there’s no going back now.

Comment

pics
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Spot weld in , in short bursts to avoid it distorting. Then join up in similar fashion till its it solid. Then its grind off and filler time.

Comment

Nearly ready to stick on after some time playing with my ebay flanger. Gotta love a mostly tidy flange although it looks a little raggedy in the corners..
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Aaaahhhhhh, so that’s where Reg got the idea for his paint job.

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

Question - theres about a 5mm gap between the new panel arch lip and the inner arch lip - should I try to pull out the inner a bit to close the gap, or run a line of seam sealer along the join and clamp tight? I've been looking at this as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuz...w#action=share where he spot welds in a few places to hold these two bits together (about 12 min in).

Comment

Seam sealer arrived so got the rear arch fitted, made some bumper bracket mounts, repaired the back end of the sill and who would have thought it, discovered something really holey on easter sunday... No filler primered the repairs ready for sanding back and filling later on. Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	293724Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	69.2 KB ID:	293721Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	293722Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	293723
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                            Last edited by mike_skinner; 12 April 2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Not the neatest patching but figured as it will be hidden then... It does look a bit splattery but I'm blaming the gasless welder for the jizz-fest. The bottom edge is all over the shop but I'll trim it back once the outer sill is on. I did burn through a few times so blob filled it to get rid of the holes. Making do with the materials I have and really hoping the other side isn't as rotten. I used half my sliding door lip repair panel for patches today (don't need it as I made up repair panels for the garage to weld in last year instead). Thankfully the step was solid - wire brushed the surface rust off and treated with jenolite. Did the same treatment on the cross member too while the bumpers off. I'm trying to figure out if I can do the arch without taking the door off. You can see the possible cut line drawn on the arch. Drilled out the spot welds on the top of the wing so its just held on to the lip at the front of the arch and the arch lip itself. Has anyone pop-riveted or self-tappered the wing back on so it can easily be removed in the future? Mines a welded on arch so wondering if this may be a way to secure it with some seam sealer and pop rivets or self tappers? Screw on then chop off the excess?

Drivers side wing is holed too when I had a poke at it.

Paint and underseal next then stick on the new sill. One more repair behind the B pillar so I'll cut that out, patch then fit the new panel.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X