The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
    Hi. Fife. Hats of to ya. If that was my van It would have been scrapped a long time ago. It will be like brand new when your done.
    Cheers huskyman. I've felt like scrapping it many times. Probably should have. The donor van I've had some body cuts from is in better condition than mine. I'm just working towards getting it MOT worthy.

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

• Haven't got much done over the last couple of days. I've put the hours in but progress has been slow.
      First up was to remove the front jacking point. Had to do this because it's rotten inside and been patched over. it was a pain to get out. Lots of drilling out spot welds. Got it off eventually. Having a bit of trouble getting steel for replacing it. Hopefully Monday if not I know I can deffo order it.
      Got on with repairing the inner wing body cut I got before it gets fitted on the van. I've had to be fairly inventive, I didn't have much whole metal to work from. Hours have went into the fabrication. happy with it so far.

Comment

• Top effort Fife.

You have lots of patience.

Can’t wait to see the van finished.

Comment

• Moll says its a good job for Fife that i dont live round the corner as i'd be there pestering all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
            Top effort Fife.

You have lots of patience.

Can’t wait to see the van finished.
            Cheers Frenchy, haha, if you knew me, no I don't!!
            I do enjoy the fabrication side though. It's interesting how it comes apart. And trying to copy what was there before rust set in. With my van thats sometimes guesswork.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Moll says its a good job for Fife that i dont live round the corner as i'd be there pestering all the time.
              You'd be more than welcome. I could borrow your tools tae haha.
              Done that fabrication with a wooden batton. 3 g clamps, and a ball point hammer.
              And I wonder how it takes all day....

Comment

• Job for today was remaking the bottom inner wing bit. Lots of pictures for Arf.
                First off I cut the rot out then flattened it out with a hammer to use as a template.not much metal.
                Then using a baton and g clamps to start giving the cut some shape. next on to the curve. Had to use my initiative for this bit. A scaffold pole will dothen folding over the flapsmaking sure the flaps are flat. and my corners good then spot welds drilled and spot welded in corners still good. Happy with that then welded in the round bit and sanded back , both sideswanted to show I'm pretty close to the originalthen painted in zinc primer I've not done the spot weld on the indicator end because I'm not happy with the Corve at the bottom. Where I've turned the flaps over. All that's taken me 6.5 hours. Just wanted to show you don't need expensive tools to get the job done. Just a bit initiative.

Comment

• Nice work. Thanks for sharing. At least you will know it's a good van.
                  Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• No he didnt do that, hes had Andreas round by the look of it.

Comment

• Joking aside hats off to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        No he didnt do that, hes had Andreas round by the look of it.
                        Andreas is the fabrication master

Comment

• Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
                          Andreas is the fabrication master

He’s a ..........master painter

Nice work Neil .

Comment

• Unfortunately I didn't get much done this weekend. Rain hindered play a bit. I got more rot cut out. Some areas cleaned up in preparation for inner wing cut.
                            Closed the door on Saturday night and now it won't open. I had to get the doorcard off with the door shut. (Not bloody easy!) And still can't get into the latch. It's like it's deadlocked itself. I get about an inch of play that the door will open but that's it. I've pulled both inner and outer handles, pulled on the pin and handles at same time. Can't get it open.
                            So that totally held me up with my repairs, I take the door off all the time at the moment so it's a right pain.
                            I managed to get the inner wing dry fitted but that's about it.
                            Doors still shut. Nippy.

Comment

• Success! I've got the door open. A happy Fifer now.
                              Problem was, my A pillar is kinda floating with the floor being cut out. With the weight of the door it's caused the door to drop slightly. I've not noticed and it's been hitting the catch when it shuts
                              This stopped the door side catch from opening fully up. Prised it with a screwdriver and bingo, I'm in!
                              But.... In my quest to figure it out and prising here there and everywhere with the screwdriver I've mangled the lock.

Replacement needed

Comment

• Does anyone know the correct part number to suit an early van door? A quick eBay search is giving me 4 different part numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X