No announcement yet.

The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't bother writing anything last week because I was pissed off with the van. I'd worked all weekend on it, I thought I'd got a lot done. Till I got to Sunday night and nothing worked in correctly.

Basically I had fabricated this bit step. There wasn't much original metal left to work from so I presumed it would be square. This was my mistake. It knocked everything out by roughly an inch.
    No sliders was in my hood through the week getting bits done to his van. Exhaust I think, so whilst he was down he dropped me off some bits. He left some on this box with a drawing. He said it's a quick sketch but I think it's minted!! Cheers mate!!
    On with the van this weekend, I got a genuine VW b pillar from no sliders, I only needed the bottom bit so chopped it off and welded it in.
    I know this is fitted 100 percent in place with in being genuine VW panel so I worked from that. Got the b pillar panel welded in I've got everything set and ready for the outer wing to go in. I'm happy how it all lines up now.

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

• Day off work so pressed on with van. Rubber door seal fits perfect so I know it's all as it should be now.

Comment

• Good work bud, top job from the pictures sent. Are you turning a corner? End of August and those Pod tickets could be used?

Comment

• Cheers Active, those tickets will be getting used regardless. Even if it's in the golf.
          I've still got best part of a month. I've really just the same repair as I've just done to do on passenger side. I don't think it's quite so bad rust wise but time will tell.
          Don't get me wrong, still millions of jobs to do but an MOT standard could be achievable before September. Provided I work at it every chance in between times

Comment

Last edited by S49; 26 July 2021, 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong thread, dont know how to delete it.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Yip probably no chance Si

Comment

• Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
                Yip probably no chance Si

You could get it done in time mate. My"....................................."was because i'd sort of lost it a bit on the pirates thread and didnt notice i was posting on the wrong thread .So i edited what i'd wrote and put a load a full stops instead.

Comment

• I suspect i'll still be flatting mine in October

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    I suspect i'll still be flatting mine in October
                    I dread to think about my attempts at spraying. It will be next year anyway. Unless I can get a place inside.

Comment

• Got finished early today so just went straight to the van. Got the inner wing welded in. went quite well. Even dressing the part where old and new wings now meet went spot on. Was a bit concerned as these were a world away from eachother.
                      Got the outer wing fitted on dry. Lines up fairly well for Taiwanese. Looks easy enough job to convert over to bolt on to suit the new inner wing. So that's up next.
                      Although this repair looks solid enough I don't like it and I'm gonna put it back to factory fit. I've asked Drugged onions today for the body cut from his donor. This might hold me up a bit.
                      I'll hopefully get on to passenger side this weekend.

Comment

• Also got all those rusty bits on inner wing and start of the scuttle sanded back to bare metal then 3 coats of hydrate 80

Comment

• Hi. Fife. Nice work. Keep at it

Comment

• What size of bolts do the front wings go on with? For converting mine over. M? Thanks

Last edited by fifet4; 6 August 2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• They are 10mm heads with a self taping thread that goes in the spire clips if thats the right word.

Comment

• Hi. Si. Yeah that is the right. Word. Or drill the holes and fill with weld

Comment

Working...
                                X