No announcement yet.

Six speed conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ll take a look and see about some measurements at the weekend if you want. More useful pics too.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
      He is eagle eyed that Tommy isnt he.
      Boss eyed maybe

#vanlife

Comment

• 2.4d setup: Whem I got my bargain AUF engine (ACV for autos) it didn’t have any ancillaries with it so I stuck all my 2.4td (AJA) stuff on it. Never seen the 2.5 setup until I saw Reg’s. Can’t see the point of it myself? Just looks like change for changes sake. All the 2.4d stuff bolts right up and works perfectly on my 2.5.

#vanlife

Comment

• Gearbox comparison for TP.
          ABL ' s 02B DQL with 0.62 5th vs FZQ.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs FZQ.png Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	329034
          Last edited by Activ8; 29 July 2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Perfect

#vanlife

Comment

ABL ' s 02B DQL with 0.62 5th vs DRV.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs DRV.png
Views:	271
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	329079

Comment

ABL ' s 02B DQL with 0.62 5th vs TT DQB.

Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs DQB.png
Views:	249
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	329108
                Last edited by Activ8; 30 July 2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Think the FQZ (or similar equivalent ratio) from a 1.8t 180 is going to be the most suitable.

#vanlife

Comment

ABL ' s 02B DQL with 0.62 5th vs FZQ with 225/45R17 wheel & tyre.

Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs FZQ 225_45R17.png
Views:	234
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	329940

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      Gearbox comparison for TP.

Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs FZQ 225_45R17.png
Views:	234
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	329940
                      How about one for my tyre size of 225/55r17?? I guess that’s what this is though

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Gearbox comparison for TP.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	TP 6 Speed DQL vs FZQ 225_45R17.png Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	329940
                        So basically the 6 speed is a waste of time and effort, cos the 5 speed is faster?

One question....why is the DQL with 0.62 different in all three of your comparisons? I'm guess in the first is a different tyre (it didnt state tyre) and one of the second two tables has typo on tyre size as TP alluded???
                        Last edited by regcheeseman; 10 August 2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Yep. I think theres a quirk in the code not updating the tyre size entered. Think my eye sight is also failing but I am knackered.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

So basically the 6 speed is a waste of time and effort, cos the 5 speed is faster?

One question....why is the DQL with 0.62 different in all three of your comparisons? I'm guess in the first is a different tyre (it didnt state tyre) and one of the second two tables has typo on tyre size as TP alluded???
                            Absolutely not a waste of time as 6th is there as an extra gear and on the right ratio box and you don’t lose the acceleration in the low down revs. I’m thinking along the lines of the same effect as the euro tuning or whatever they’re called £1000 6 speed conversion for the 02b but a better gearbox with higher torque rating.

I went out in a PD engine van with the 6 speed so I imagine your more powerful 5 pot would be better suited but the PD was mapped from a 130 and it felt too long legged. No doubt a phenomenal cruiser but for round town it just didn’t seem right and the owner said as much himself. Like you say, they’re hard to get off the line and it was like pulling off in 2nd. You’d get through a few texhniclutches a year with that Reg. Mine pull off well but that’s because they’re piece of shit low ratio boxes in both.

He’s since bought another van with an AHU conversion which he’s going to 6 speed but with a different box. We’ve be talking about ratios etc and we reckon the petrol golf (plus various others) would be perfect as it’s a tall small car gearbox but would suit a diesel van beautifully.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Absolutely not a waste of time as 6th is there as an extra gear and on the right ratio box and you don’t lose the acceleration in the low down revs. I’m thinking along the lines of the same effect as the euro tuning or whatever they’re called £1000 6 speed conversion for the 02b but a better gearbox with higher torque rating.

I went out in a PD engine van with the 6 speed so I imagine your more powerful 5 pot would be better suited but the PD was mapped from a 130 and it felt too long legged. No doubt a phenomenal cruiser but for round town it just didn’t seem right and the owner said as much himself. Like you say, they’re hard to get off the line and it was like pulling off in 2nd. You’d get through a few texhniclutches a year with that Reg. Mine pull off well but that’s because they’re piece of shit low ratio boxes in both.

He’s since bought another van with an AHU conversion which he’s going to 6 speed but with a different box. We’ve be talking about ratios etc and we reckon the petrol golf (plus various others) would be perfect as it’s a tall small car gearbox but would suit a diesel van beautifully.

Extra gear = extra cog swap = slower acceleration

Surely you want a longer ratio box on a torquey low reving diesel, close ratio is no fecking use at all.

A petrol box on a diesel? Nah mate. Last time I HAD to fit one of them (nothing else available) bloody thing would pull uphill in fifth until it was screaming.

My issue with acceleration from a standing start is part mechanical sympathy and also if you boot down it just lights up on the van spec rubber.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Extra gear = extra cog swap = slower acceleration

Surely you want a longer ratio box on a torquey low reving diesel, close ratio is no fecking use at all.

A petrol box on a diesel? Nah mate. Last time I HAD to fit one of them (nothing else available) bloody thing would pull uphill in fifth until it was screaming.

My issue with acceleration from a standing start is part mechanical sympathy and also if you boot down it just lights up on the van spec rubber.
                                Wtf? How is it slower? From an extra gear to shift?

I also consider the torque not being too low as that’s how both of mine are so I don’t want to be at 1500 revs at 65 to not be able to pull shit as soon as the rising ground hits. I’m just drawing these conclusions from my own vans and how they drive. What works for them may differ from other vans.

The petrol engine is from a car and tall ratios anyway so in our vans I’m trying to work it out as the diesel box just ain’t the one for me. If I was talking about a petrol T4 gearbox into a diesel then I’d understand what you’re saying but I’m not so I don’t.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X