No announcement yet.

Six speed conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it still be "balanced" with these techniques Reg? The AXG/AHY drive shaft is thicker (30mm?) would that open up some options & retain more strength after a cut perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Will it still be "balanced" with these techniques Reg? The AXG/AHY drive shaft is thicker (30mm?) would that open up some options & retain more strength after a cut perhaps?
      Balanced? Ish.

Driveshafts don't spin that fast, and because of the relatively small diameter the out of balance forces aren't that significant. I've a plan for the weld, waiting for some CDS tube to arrive.

I fitted the cut sections back into the CVs and refitted them, seems like I've got the new length just about spot on.

pulled the engine and box out again to clean it all up and start rebuilding the motor, dragged it outside, sprayed it with TFR and pressure washed it several times.

Going to order another adaptor plate and all the other adaptors plus a 5 cylinder exhaust manifold flange and a turbo flange.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Going to order another adaptor plate and all the other adaptors plus a 5 cylinder exhaust manifold flange and a turbo flange.
        Stick me down for a set / kit if you want to fit it as a service Im happy to pay you.

Comment

• Axk and amv are 30 mm too . But auto box. The length maybe different

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Time to split the box

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200703_170048.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	304098

Then there was some time discussing the fact the gearbox might not know its father, bigger hammers were selected from the tool box, but eventually

Name:	IMG_20200703_201458.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	304099

Name:	IMG_20200703_201504.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	304100

Might invest in a parts washer to flush all the grinder dust out of the housing.

Comment

• Now this kind of stuff I find really interesting. Keep the pics and updates coming Reg. thanks for posting.

Comment

• Bought a parts washer, 10 litre of hyper clean, a bottle of argon, some ally rods and a couple of tins of simoniz spray paint - now 200 quid lighter

Need to get a clutch and flywheel - what are my options Activ, ideally I'd like to go big flywheel

Comment

Need to get a clutch and flywheel - what are my options Activ, ideally I'd like to go big flywheel
                  Off the shelf? Try 240mm DMF flywheel from the AXG/AHY with SRE disc and spring plate but as you're the first 5 pot conversion I dont know if theres clearance. I think it'll fit. A 260mm Crafter may fit too with the appropriate SRE plates but who knows. Custom SMF flywheel (adapted Golf unit (10 bolt) and SRE plates. You'll have a spacer plate so you could adapt from 8 to 10 bolt and go with an uprated Golf Mk5 clutch setup. The SRE kits are £1500 though. Sintered or paddle (4,6&8 paddles) setups sre available for the Golf. How deep are your pockets?

Last edited by Activ8; 5 July 2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Off the shelf? Try 240mm DMF flywheel from the AXG/AHY with SRE disc and spring plate but as you're the first 5 pot conversion I dont know if theres clearance. I think it'll fit. A 260mm Crafter may fit too with the appropriate SRE plates but who knows. Custom SMF flywheel (adapted Golf unit (10 bolt) and SRE plates. You'll have a spacer plate so you could adapt from 8 to 10 bolt and go with an uprated Golf Mk5 clutch setup. The SRE kits are £1500 though. Sintered or paddle (4,6&8 paddles) setups sre available for the Golf. How deep are your pockets?
                    You cannot adapt from 10 to 8 bolt.

Why the doubt on clearance ? what part are you concerned about?

Hang on! 1500 for a clutch? fuck that.

Comment

You cannot adapt from 10 to 8 bolt.

Why the doubt on clearance ? what part are you concerned about?

Hang on! 1500 for a clutch? fuck that.
                      Why not? Four would go right through! ;-)

Its not doubt, its caution. Ive got no basis for the caution. I'm sure the AXG/AHY is identical clutch wise. Will double check.

Yep the full SRE clutch is expensive... you could always give Techniclutch a shout?

Comment

Why not? Four would go right through! ;-)

Its not doubt, its caution. Ive got no basis for the caution. I'm sure the AXG/AHY is identical clutch wise. Will double check.

Yep the full SRE clutch is expensive... you could always give Techniclutch a shout?
                        And four would be all that would hold it - not enough

Can't I use a t4 esque ten bolt fly and pressure plate with a suitably splined golf? friction plate.

Techniclutch - pah.

Comment

And four would be all that would hold it - not enough

Can't I use a t4 esque ten bolt fly and pressure plate with a suitably splined golf? friction plate.

Techniclutch - pah.
                          I think the AXG / AHY DMF would be the best option. I bet the Golf friction plate is thinner (less mileage). You could upgrade to the SRE friction plate / paddle then spring plate if funds allowed?

Are you wanting to go SMF?

Comment

I think the AXG / AHY DMF would be the best option. I bet the Golf friction plate is thinner (less mileage). You could upgrade to the SRE friction plate / paddle then spring plate if funds allowed?

Are you wanting to go SMF?

If you think the AXG DMF would be the best option, that's what I'll go for, will the friction plate spline mate with the Golf box? And it'll take the potential torque?

Comment

If you think the AXG DMF would be the best option, that's what I'll go for, will the friction plate spline mate with the Golf box? And it'll take the potential torque?
                              Yep both are 23 tooth. The 220mm LUK DMF took almost 600Nm so the LUK 240mm should be as good as+. Ive got a new 996 Turbo paddle plate 23t (800Nm) if you want to try it but the 23t hub will need machining. If you need part numbers let me know.

Comment

If you need part numbers let me know.
                                Yes please, and as you seem to find all the ridiculous deals, let me know if you see any going for sensible money.

Comment

Working...
                                X