Six speed conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Yes please, and as you seem to find all the ridiculous deals, let me know if you see any going for sensible money.
    The LUK 3 piece (disc, CSC & spring plate) is 624 2410 33.*
    The LUK DMF is 415010310.

* I've got two new kits , Ill sell you one LUK £75 delivered.

You want a new or second hand DMF?

Comment

• Great, I'll have the clutch kit off you. How second hand is the DMF, any history?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Great, I'll have the clutch kit off you. How second hand is the DMF, any history?
        OK.
        I've got two complete used kits (no bolts). I'll pull them out and check the notes.
        When do you want the flywheel? Give me a couple of weeks to see if I can locate a new one?

Comment

• Yep, no rush, have to weld up the gearbox and rebuild it yet.
          no need for bolts because they will be too short with the spacer plate fitted.

Comment

• I've missed loads of important stuff going on. This 6 speed box thread is really intruiging. Have you made any further progress?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Just T4s

Buy a T4 they said... It'll be fun they said!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nate6874 View Post
              I've missed loads of important stuff going on. This 6 speed box thread is really intruiging. Have you made any further progress?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Just T4s
              Unfortunately not, life gets in the way - tonight was spent fitting an oak door, 3 down, four to go, and the expansion vessel on the boiler to swap out when the new one turns up, swap the drivers seat in the van, service and polish the flat paint on the corsa oh and fit the wheels, then there's the clutch on the van, cam belt, water pump and intercooler, when they are all done.....maybe some six speed work.....who am I kidding, there will be another list piling up.

Comment

• Any update Reg?

Comment

• Yeah 6 of the seven doors are up, my boys bedroom door left to do, he is on the spectrum and doesn't like change, so I have to get his permission.

The central heating works fine

Couple of slates have slipped.

Comment

• As my engine build has stalled, I figured I should do some more six speed work.

Some numpty cut this bleeding gurt hole in the gearbox case

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210106_142016.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	317690

Need to plate it up again, first plate cut

Name:	IMG_20210106_142029.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	317691

and second plate...

Name:	IMG_20210106_142114.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	317692

Need a bit of a clean up before I attempt to bleb it together, then maybe a third plate to triangulate the lot and add some strength as there were some hefty webs cut out of the original casing, but as this area is used as a mounting point in some installations that would explain the strength built into the casting, I wont be using that area as a mount.

Comment

• What was the bit you cut off fouling?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        What was the bit you cut off fouling?
                        The subframe

https://just-t4s.co.uk/forum/readers...525#post298525

Name:	IMG_20200527_211429[1].jpg
Views:	301
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	299524

Comment

• Welding didn't go bad....didn't go well either.

I've been putting it off for months as its been a long long long time since I had a go at ally tig and welding up a cast ally can be a twat.

So the gearbox didn't end up as a puddle on the floor which was my biggest fear, the plate was in

Name:	IMG_20210109_150456[1].jpg
Views:	212
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	317770

However literally as soon as the torch was removed you could hear pings as things cracked, and it was obvious all was not well...

Name:	IMG_20210109_150507[1].jpg
Views:	216
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	317771

So I grabbed the plate with some grips, it didn't provide much of a challenge to remove

Name:	IMG_20210109_155342[1].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	317772

The weld was all powdery and brittle.

So on the phone to my welder mate who is a genius with a TIG and he gave me a few tips, His main advice was to normalise the cast first by adding filler around the edge of the cast, much like tinning wires before soldering.

I tried that, it went much better but still cracked.

I've been using 4043 rods, ordered some 4047 to see if that helps

Comment

• Have you tried warming the area on the gearbox that needs welding with a blow torch ? Before you attempt to weld it .

Comment

• The main problem with this project was getting the gearbox to clear the subframe. The answer might be to shift the engine across to the left but you cant because the aux belt tensioner pulley will hit the chassis rails.

Name:	Iueuy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	318753

Hadn't spotted it before but the 2.4 has a better set up, no stupid plastic idler and the tensioner under the alternator.

This might mean I can shift the engine and gearbox across the bay, the gearbox 'might' clear the subframe without modification and the os driveshaft wont need a spacer, this will mean the gearbox mounting brackets are now all wrong but that's no biggy.

Comment

• He is eagle eyed that Tommy isnt he.

Comment

Working...
                                X