Six speed conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six speed conversion

Those of you that have been here for a while will know I've been working on a six speed conversion, progress has been intermittent and slow but not as slow as some projects.

Anyway, I got back on it again tonight, hooked the gearbox back onto the engine and lifted it into place

Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox4.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	298173

I know I've been this far before and hit a snag with the bellhousing clouting the subframe, but now it fits.

Even the driveshafts offer up, i.e the 98mm cups fit the CVs but shafts are the wrong length, strangely enough the length difference seems to be the same as the thickness of the adaptor plate which pushes the gearbox towards the near side by 15mm.

So..... what I need is our resident part number anorak.....

The OS driveshaft is standard T4 and is 15mm short - I could space it but it would be good to get an off the shelf option

Likewise the NS shaft is Mk 4 Golf I think, its 1K0 407 271 BJ

Click image for larger version

Name:	driveshaft 1K0 407 271 BJ.JPG
Views:	1339
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	298174

This is too long by about 15mm, cross referencing the part give loads of options, many with differing lengths but that is probably how the manufacturers measure them rather than any actual difference.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/1k0407271bj

Activ (or anyone), if you can spare the time and find a VW part for the shaft that might suit, it would be much appreciated.

1K0 is going to be mk5 Golf Derivative, I wonder if a Mk2 Sharan would work on the nsf.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you had to alter the subframe?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Have you had to alter the subframe?
        Nope no alterations required, I think the gearbox has spent so long on my workshop floor that entropy has caused it to shrink in size - that or I was being an idiot the last time I tried to fit it.

How long is the Sharan driveshaft Marcus?

Need a ABS ring and sensor for a speedo drive as well....
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 13 May 2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

This is spooky ..... I was only looking into this earlier today!
          Great news Reg , better get it fitted ASAP before the box shrinks any further. Is this using the original 02Q box?
          What about the gearbox mounts?
          Theres no OEM drive shaft option - shorter or longer to fill / extend the 15mm adaptor plate. (Nothing found so far)
          Using the OS T4 with a spacer you could keep the speedo drive. One less thing to modify?
          The drive shafts you bought were Golf / A3.

Comment

510 mm , wondering about the gearbox hubs now, heres the dimensions for a auy sharan 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              This is spooky ..... I was only looking into this earlier today!
              Great news Reg , better get it fitted ASAP before the box shrinks any further. Is this using the original 02Q box?
              What about the gearbox mounts?
              Theres no OEM drive shaft option - shorter or longer to fill / extend the 15mm adaptor plate. (Nothing found so far)
              Using the OS T4 with a spacer you could keep the speedo drive. One less thing to modify?
              The drive shafts you bought were Golf / A3.
              Still 02Q, dont think the original cast mount will fit, a bespoke bracket would be required even with the cast mount used so may as well make a bespoke mount to replace the cast mount, but I think I can still pick up the original mounting holes on the gearbox, it remains to be seen if this give enough clearance on the subframe.

Pendulum / lower mount will have to be bespoke

No speedo drive on T4 drive shaft, but yes I will space it for now, it may be a case of extending the output shaft extension on the box or a custom driveshaft

Need a bespoke bracket to fix gearbox output shaft extension support bearing housing to the block

How long are the T4 shafts?

Originally posted by marcushamblin197 View Post
              510 mm , wondering about the gearbox hubs now, heres the dimensions for a auy sharan 2003

Too long - need shorter

Comment

Don't you have the T4/64 driveshafts you can measure?

Both the T4 driveshafts on T4s are identical lengths with the exception of the V6/auto gearbox, albeit the nearside is identical to the manual engine versions. The OS is 540mm on the V6/auto.
                701 407 271M.

The NS Golf Mk5 driveshafts is the shortest I've located so far and you're saying that's 15mm too long?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

I'm sure there are multiple reasons but, why not move the entire engine and box over 15mm?

Comment

Thought the speed sensor & pickup is mounted in the OS shaft housing?

Comment

T4 driveshafts lengths;
                      525mm to 541mm

Adding to my research last year I found manual gbox ABS driveshafts as short as 525 to 534mm (identical part numbers). Manual gbox non ABS 537 to 541mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Laz View Post
                        I'm sure there are multiple reasons but, why not move the entire engine and box over 15mm?
                        That would make sense, but the aux belts and tensioner run very close to the chassis rail on the 2.5 - I may be able to move it 10mm or more, I'll see when the engine is level and straight, there may be some wiggle room

Originally posted by Activ
                        Don't you have the T4/64 driveshafts you can measure?

Both the T4 driveshafts on T4s are identical lengths with the exception of the V6/auto gearbox, albeit the nearside is identical to the manual engine versions. The OS is 540mm on the V6/auto.
                        701 407 271M.

The NS Golf Mk5 driveshafts is the shortest I've located so far and you're saying that's 15mm too long?
                        I have the driveshafts from the T4/64, i need to check what dimension they are specified at by suppliers, to work out what dimension I should be trying to measure, I suspect it is cv face to cv face?

Both golf driveshafts I have look to be the same length, no obvious difference noted, I may have been trying to fit the OS one?

I've also got a set of shafts on that 02G I bought, wonder what they are like...

Comment

02G are the same length and interchangeable with the AJT. The only shafts you cannot use are the AXG/AHY.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

That would make sense, but the aux belts and tensioner run very close to the chassis rail on the 2.5 - I may be able to move it 10mm or more, I'll see when the engine is level and straight, there may be some wiggle room

I have the driveshafts from the T4/64, i need to check what dimension they are specified at by suppliers, to work out what dimension I should be trying to measure, I suspect it is cv face to cv face?

Both golf driveshafts I have look to be the same length, no obvious difference noted, I may have been trying to fit the OS one?

I've also got a set of shafts on that 02G I bought, wonder what they are like...
                            With the Golf drive shafts for that gearbox you should have received an intermediate shaft for the OSF too?

This lengthens the OSF BJ shaft from your 488 (can be 485-491mm) to 600-610mm dependant on the drive shaft manufacturer.

Last edited by Activ8; 14 May 2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

The intermediate shaft/outrigger/extension is much longer than 100mm, it's similar in length to the T4 trumpet.

Good news, I reckon there's 15mm space to move engine across. Maybe enough to fit the n/s shaft in and then space the o/s as required.

Comment

Working...
                              X