The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
    I finally sorted the turbo so the core seats centrally and solidly. Unlike the method, the result is perfect hahaha. That’ll be all I’ll say on the matter until a future post when I concede defeat and look for another turbo lol.

Plans for this weekend:
    Inlet and IC piping
    Sort the new exhaust as I’ve got my new regulator now.
    Other shite
    Sent from a muppet
    Tommy
    So what did you do to centre the oil housing?

Reg
    what do you think the problem is with the pump build?
    ​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

Tommy
      So what did you do to centre the oil housing?
      ​​
      Fuckmuppetry.......

A 4” grinder, some exhaust paste and some .8mm stainless welding wire......

Don’t judge me. This is the caveman chronicles don’t forget.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• Doing nothing could of been disastrous. 0.8mm wire is a good solution imo.

Comment

• Didn’t do anything to my van today as I wanted to weld but the it was a bit windy so I went and did a bit on the old boys. Just a last few bits and his will be running again and ready to test.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

Reg
            what do you think the problem is with the pump build?
            ​​
            Had it once before, something has displaced on head assembly, should have checked the lift, but you do so many you get complacent. I'd spent five hours in the pump and knew Tommy wanted it back to crack on. I don't believe there's anything amiss with the parts used, just the plank putting them together.

Comment

Do you need anything else from me for this to happen like a Volvo camplate or anything? It isn’t being collected until Monday anyway so I’ve got the weekend to get anything else you might want?

Sent from a muppet
              Send it all back except the bracket, unless you can't get it off. I'll have the vw head and camplate back as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Had it once before, something has displaced on head assembly, should have checked the lift, but you do so many you get complacent. I'd spent five hours in the pump and knew Tommy wanted it back to crack on. I don't believe there's anything amiss with the parts used, just the plank putting them together.
                Don’t worry about the time it takes on my account. I sent it stupidly last minute anyway so I didn’t expect it back quick. Another week or however long with the van off the road doesn’t bother me and I’m not quite ready with everything else anyway. I’m on with carpentry for the next few weeks anyway so I can fit the paslode and chopsaw in the golf anyway. The weather will fuck me up not being able to weld inside etc. Also waiting for a couple of bits. No skin off my nose, I make more than my fail share of mistakes Hahahaha.

Also, I’ve collected the 2.4 inlet today so I’ll try and shoehorn that into my already booked package size. Lol

Thanks again for all your help with the pump, like you said in a pm once, I could have done it myself but I’d much rather you did it with the internal work on this one. I’d have managed to change the firing order if I did it.

Ps. I don’t for a second believe my donor LDA pump came with a boost pin like this......

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Send it all back except the bracket, unless you can't get it off. I'll have the vw head and camplate back as well.
                  Bracket to the block? That’s still on the block and the pump is in the box.

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

Ps. I don’t for a second believe my donor LDA pump came with a boost pin like this......
                    Sent from a muppet
                    Got any more pics Tommy?
                    I assume this pin moves via that diaphragm and the pins shaping allows a sprung pin to track down the surface shaping to modify the fuel / boosted air ratio to change? Reg?
                    So the pins shaping is a result of trial and error to maximise the fuel or is there a profile that people grind it too?
                    Can you buy these pins reprofiled & tested?

Five hours on one pump reads like lots going on and not just "swapping" parts over.
                    Last edited by Activ8; 19 July 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Got any more pics Tommy?
                      I assume this pin moves via that diaphragm and the pins shaping allows a sprung pin to track down the surface shaping to modify the fuel / boosted air ratio to change? Reg?
                      So the pins shaping is a result of trial and error to maximise the fuel or is there a profile that people grind it too?
                      Can you buy these pins reprofiled & tested?

Five hours on one pump reads like lots going on and not just "swapping" parts over.
                      You assume correctly. That’s exactly what it does. As long as it’s not a really flat and I exciting pin it’s good for the job. Many on the other forum go on and on about “custom grinds” but the pin I have looks a lot like the pin that came with my other gtd pump lid that’s on the camper. The Vauxhall’s pump I did for the old boy had a totally pointless pin in it. I’ll take a pic this week to show you but it’s only really got about 1mm difference from min to max.

I gave him the info and told him to give it a bit of a grind but he’s ordered one.

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Reg, you mentioned the poor dynamic advance, for the sake of about £35, would it benefit me to get a spacer kit? Or is the difference profile camplate going to render it pointless bothering?

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

Reg, you mentioned the poor dynamic advance, for the sake of about £35, would it benefit me to get a spacer kit? Or is the difference profile camplate going to render it pointless bothering?

Sent from a muppet
                          I ordered one. If I want/need to use it, it’s there, if not, fuck it. All bases covered.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• If you advance the injector timing and fuel delivery arent you at risk of early ignition during the incomplete compression phase?

Comment

If you advance the injector timing and fuel delivery arent you at risk of early ignition during the incomplete compression phase?
                              As you know, the timing needs to be advanced as the rpm’s get higher uk the range to keep up with the speed of things. I’m not convinced whether it’s needed or not but the land rover boys with their tuned (factory) mTdi’s swear by it.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Do the LR boys use two stage injectors in their mud pluggers?

Comment

Working...
                                X