Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A chance to show off your T4 expertise to a fresh newcomer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just gave him a call and it was the heater radiator not the engine rad that got removed that is slightly more manageable!!

He's said lowest he'll go is 3.5k.

Comment

As far as keeping the engine cool yes. But keeping the cab warm no. It's a dash out to replace.
      Last edited by S49; 3 January 2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

If that's the least he'll take tell to put a test on in the price otherwise it's 1500 quid all day long with no test tops.

Comment

I wouldn't buy it without a test, there are plenty out there to look at don't settle for the first you see

Comment

And the jobs are mounting up,cambelt,MOT and heater rad. Shinny paint and an R n R bed aren't worth a light if it isn't on the road.

Comment

Good luck with a purchase now or in the future?
              The best step you made was to ask and ask here.
              Either way there's both support, advice and knowledge on here that'll help what ever your T4 ownership start point !

Comment

The heater matrix by pass is a get you home cheap fix. Won't effect the engine to run without it but you'll need a jumper in the cab and maybe a codriver to keep the windscreen clear on the inside. Unless your trailering it back.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  The heater matrix by pass is a get you home cheap fix. Won't effect the engine to run without it but you'll need a jumper in the cab and maybe a codriver to keep the windscreen clear on the inside. Unless your trailering it back.
                  I went 2 days without a heater matrix as you well know Si! I nearly died driving to work with the sub zero temps in the cab

Comment

... you'll need a jumper in the cab and maybe a codriver to keep the windscreen clear on the inside......
                    codpiece.jpeg
                    Is that at all related to a Codpiece then Si?

I'm reluctant to remove mine as it helps keep me warm at this time of the year, so I guess it could do the same for the windscreen?

Comment

2.5 k gets you something like this

Screenshot_20230103-145609_Gumtree.jpg

Comment

Have you just found the cheapest you could find Ben?

Also Si, £1500 doesn’t get you much and I would disagree on the paint and R&R bed. I’d much rather have a decent body and shagged engine. That’s also be true if I had to rely on trades to do my work. A good paint job is £3k+ and that’s without shitloads of welding. An R&R is £600 for a cheap shite one. Whereas an engine is £600 and another £1500 maybe for a garage to fit.

Having said that, to find one that looks clean and it’s actually done to a good standard that won’t need doing again 2 years down the line is another story.

To be honest, I genuinely don’t think I’d ever want to buy another T4 to keep as there really isn’t anything good out there that wouldn’t require a huge amount of work. Not for less than £10k anyway. Plenty out there with mechanical issues for £1k which I could buy and flip but they’d still need bodywork and I wouldn’t want to get involved as by the time you’ve made them mint there’s no money in them.

I really think we’re at the point where there’s no good vans left and you’ll have to be seriously proficient with the spanners to do the work yourself. I think keeping on top of the maintenance on our very much aging vans is ESSENTIAL. Replacing them for something better is a minefield and almost impossible from what I’m seeing of the markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        Last edited by TommyP; 3 January 2023, 11:41 PM.
                        #vanlife

Comment

Trouble is you buy a van thats good body wise spend your money getting it mechanically right but as your doing that the sound body falls all to shit around you as the body shops dont put the love into it. Buying a van now i'd want an unrepaired/unwelded van even if it was rusty so i could do it myself to a standard i'd be happy with.Hence to me they are only ever worth 3 grand and thats for a minter (not that shit boxer from Croydon that got mullered by Marvin) My value of the above at 1500 quid gives the buyer room to spend his or hers budget on getting it running/mot'd. But thats just my tight arsed view i suppose. And yes up keep is essential on these vehicles at their age.Mechanical and body.

Comment

Trouble is you buy a van thats good body wise spend your money getting it mechanically right but as your doing that the sound body falls all to shit around you as the body shops dont put the love into it. Buying a van now i'd want an unrepaired/unwelded van even if it was rusty so i could do it myself to a standard i'd be happy with.Hence to me they are only ever worth 3 grand and thats for a minter (not that shit boxer from Croydon that got mullered by Marvin) My value of the above at 1500 quid gives the buyer room to spend his or hers budget on getting it running/mot'd. But thats just my tight arsed view i suppose. And yes up keep is essential on these vehicles at their age.Mechanical and body.
                            I get you but the problem is you can’t buy anything like the van in this thread for £1500 as you’ll make the offer, it’ll get refused and someone else will blindly pay £3k+ and get into a heap of trouble then sell for about the same. The prices don’t reflect the condition which is why I wouldn’t buy one again to keep for me. It’s always better the devil you know and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            #vanlife

Comment

Hi all. Dunno where you're getting this whole no test stuff from, the van is MOT'd until mid summer. Aaaaanywayy.... i brought it for 3.5, had a blast driving home, and pleasantly surprised by its casette player (I'm a metalhead and it's still our favourite medium!). It's getting some love in the garage right now- cam belt and a service, everything else is A-OK! Not gonna cost more than 4k in total. I'm very pleased with it, and will be putting it through its paces 300 miles back home to Kernow on Friday.
                              It's a shame about the heater- 20 quid part but costs an arm and a leg to install so i'll figure out my own way. Got a little dashboard heater to help me get home and a cosy dryrobe thing. Any other tips for defog appreciated as that's the only real problem I'll be having- cornwall doesn't get that cold!

Thanks for all your help! Has made the whole thing much less stressful and I know I've always got a place to turn to now. once I get it back tomorrow I'll post some pics of the damn thing.

Maybe you're all getting old and grumpy. Can't wait to get stuck in with this thing.

Comment

Well done.
                                Look forward to the journey, pics and hearing about 2023 whilst using it.
                                Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X