Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A chance to show off your T4 expertise to a fresh newcomer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A chance to show off your T4 expertise to a fresh newcomer!

Hi everyone!

I've just taken a look at a lovely T4 (1.9L, red, 2002) as a potential first van, but there are some things and bits and pieces I feel like I need some vetted opinions on!
    I'm very glad I've found this forum as I don't have many people around (namely, a diesel-stained dad) who can help out with this kind of thing and my experience is limited to poking around with motorbikes and a couple migranes with my 2006 polo.

The van's bodywork and interior is in fantastic nick, fully insulated, sound deadened, floor pristine and barely any rust, and a lovely new rock n roll bed setup. But the guy who owns it has had it for 3 years and done something like 200 miles on it, and no work on the mechanics, no service and the latest MOT was unnervingly short so it's a bit of a wild card (not doubting his honesty, just there's not been much trialling for issues to show themselves).

I know for sure that the cam belt needs replacing (Only got 20k miles on it but it's 8 years old) and it needs a radiator- there was some problem with it so he took it out entirely and married up the pipes- otherwise, the alternator seems a bit dodgy as it doesn't power the rev counter at all but charges fine, and I think one of the brake hoses is kaput. Hopefully, that's all there is to keep in mind. Definitely want to get this all sorted asap as driving around without a radiator sounds sketchy as hell.

So, questions!
    Firstly, he's selling for £4k. Seems fair to me. What do you think?
    Secondly, what kinda price to garages charge for cam belt replacements? seems like there are a lot of answers out there. And more importantly, how much would a new radiator fit be? I'm expecting it to be more than usual as the pipes have been wiggled around.

And generally, is this going to be a terrible financial decision? I can manage buying the van, insurance, and a bit of breathing space for maybe £500 of repairs and fun stuff but I'm only 21 and can't afford a disaster- I'll be selling my car for this, so I need it to be reasonably reliable. I would love a T4 but maybe a newer, ugly van would make more sense?

Oh and one more- has anyone heard of putting a motorbike in a T4?

Thanks very kindly all and happy new year!

Welcome aboard.
    Personally it reads a little expensive to me solely based on your overview.
    I'm no expert on 1.9TD ABL engined T4's but as a "non-runner" with no history with clearly mechanical issues, possibly bodges I'd be taking someone with you to review it, and if its sound shaping that pricing to reflect its current status and Winter market pricing.

Don't be blinded by the bling.

Comment

I'd normally say that if they've had it three years and only done a couple hundred miles i'd wonder why?? Having said that i have three of the things, one i'm restoring a second having a 1.8t swap which is running now but has only done 200 mile in 18 months so who am i to talk and a third is the wifes daily drive. A rad, cambelt and mot will soon eat 500 quid.I say these things are worth 2 to 3 grand tops what ever the condition or spec.Theres plenty of shinny vans out there hiding a lot of tin worm. Dont add up paint, R n R bed costs and the like and think you have a bargin. What you need if your not too handy with the spanners is a solid if scruffy van with a fresh mot. Take someone to veiw with a bit of an idea and then haggle like hell.Ohh sorry, how be ya and a warm welcome to the forum from The Shire.

Comment

Originally posted by niseri View Post
        Hi everyone!

I can manage buying the van, insurance, and a bit of breathing space for maybe £500 of repairs and fun stuff but I'm only 21 and can't afford a disaster- I'll be selling my car for this, so I need it to be reasonably reliable.

Oh and one more- has anyone heard of putting a motorbike in a T4?
        Hello, now I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'm not confident that £500 is going to get you very far if you are paying the going workshop rates of maybe £80 an hour? Ownership costs of running any van are higher than that of a car, and T4s are built with good quality components which don't come cheap, (though you do have the option of a copious supply of inferior quality parts, which to my mind are false economy). A major job can be a major wallet hit. Obviously getting into DIY spannering helps.

Parts costs - look on eBay,
        VW Heritage, https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/
        Brickwerks https://brickwerks.co.uk/

Motorcycles: https://just-t4s.co.uk/forum/technic...tay#post348420

I note that you are in Cornwall - do visit your local Independent VW Workshop and talk prices, and as Active said, do above all take someone knowledgable with you to view the van; whatever it takes, as the van isn't bargain priced by the sound of it. It could be good, but with so many question marks I'd be very wary. Think clutch; gearbox; suspension; brakes; tyres...

How many miles has it done, and how many owners?
        Last edited by Jim24; 1 January 2023, 09:04 PM.

Comment

"Took the radiator out and married up the pipes"?? You cant run a motor without a rad, or have they by passed the heater rad? Needs a good looking over then make a silly offer. if its been stood a while they'll want rid. I recently looked over a very late 2.5tdi with 300k on it, straight and tidy but just starting to rust on all four arhes. They wanted 5k for it i offered 3 grand and he said he'd been offered 3 and a half a fortnight later he rang asking if i still wanted it for 3000 i said drop it round and there 2500 here waiting. That ended that and it went in the auction but he refused to tell me what he got for it. Under 2 after fees i spect.
          Last edited by S49; 1 January 2023, 09:32 PM.

Comment

In retrospect, ideally I would recommend that any prospective owner put off any purchase and concentrate instead, for at least a year, on a daily scrutiny of this Forum., if only to see proper teasing. FTW

Si, TommyP (TP), and Andreas (Hans) were the joint winners of this year's coveted 'Golden Spanner Award ', and are all highly knowledgable on matters mechanical, both sacred and profane.
            Last edited by Jim24; 1 January 2023, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Mind sometimes you gotta just jump right in.But having spannered as long as i have thats easy for me to say.

Comment

Somehow images of ballet comes to mind Si...

Comment

Jim. I have also been on spannering as long as si

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                    Jim. I have also been on spannering as long as si
                    What did you pay for yours Paul?

Comment

I bought my first van. That had sat for three years and had no mot. Does not bother me one bit. In fact I have bought a lot of motors without a test

Comment

Si. I gave. £300 for my first one

Comment

I thought that mint tdi of yours was under 3k Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                            I bought my first van. That had sat for three years and had no mot. Does not bother me one bit. In fact I have bought a lot of motors without a test
                            Ahh thats fine for us but a youngster on a tight budget has to get it right and we dont have to pay the spanner man.

Comment

Yeah si. The mint one was £1900 with no test

Comment

Working...
                              X