Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A chance to show off your T4 expertise to a fresh newcomer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah they do si. Got. Transit customs and mk 8 parts aswell. Not had a late t6 in for a while but have still got 1 in the yard and an early t4

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
      I strongly suggest folk getting into these vans learn to do as much as they cam themselves. Get a running mot'd van, start with small jobs and your know how will grow as jobs come up.There is no need for owners to be paying out for 3/4s of the jobs that come up on these vehicles.
      I'm starting to take on more bits myself now and I'm trying to learn as much as I can with the help from you guys

Comment

Thats what i like to encourage, its a confidence thing i reckon. My uncle has had a Willys Jeep for 40 years and should be able to strip and rebuild the thing by now but just leaves it to me and are dad.

Comment

The other thing with me is if the job isn't finished the same day then I'm potentially left with no vehicle as its my only one

Comment

That can be a real pain. Back in the 80 i used to carry all sorts of spares and tools around the country with me. Till the day my starter motor seized in after seeing Hereford at Wolves on a bank holiday monday. Five skins pushing a car through the city centre stood out like a sore thumb. And on the Opel Kadett you had to remove the engine mount to get at the starter so we were screwed. I've carried very few parts since then.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              That can be a real pain. Back in the 80 i used to carry all sorts of spares and tools around the country with me. Till the day my starter motor seized in after seeing Hereford at Wolves on a bank holiday monday. Five skins pushing a car through the city centre stood out like a sore thumb. And on the Opel Kadett you had to remove the engine mount to get at the starter so we were screwed. I've carried very few parts since then.
              Right now I wish I would of carried some spare hoses!

Comment

Getting to that hallowed Sweet Spot of replacing parts just before they expire/fail is easier said than done, but it's where I aspire to be. That's why I lean towards a runner with a recent MOT, rather than potentially being on the back-foot with a van that might be all fur-coat and no knickers. So do take a T4 experienced friend with you Niseri.

Whereabouts in Cornwall are you?

Do keep us posted, and there's lots of vans out there to choose from
                Last edited by Jim24; 2 January 2023, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Replying to everyone... thanks much for the advice. Very helpful. I might have painted the picture worse than it is though. Van runs beautifully, I took it for a test drive, and has an MOT till June. Rad is bypassed as you say. They don't drive it much as they just take it down the road for a bit of camping each summer- was a covid project that clearly got dropped once work started up again. I think I'll offer low at 3 grand like you say, as it's still a bit of a gamble.

I'm always happy to try my hand with the spanner and can source my own parts.

Will try and bring someone knowledgeable (any of you live in cambridgeshire?? ) and take your advice and not rush it. Cheers all!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
                    Getting to that hallowed Sweet Spot of replacing parts just before they expire/fail is easier said than done, but it's where I aspire to be. That's why I lean towards a runner with a recent MOT, rather than potentially being on the back-foot with a van that might be all fur-coat and no knickers. So do take a T4 experienced friend with you Niseri.

Whereabouts in Cornwall are you?

Do keep us posted, and there's lots of vans out there to choose from
                    In Falmouth but van's near Cambridge, I'm based in london over the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by niseri View Post
                      .... Rad is bypassed as you say. They don't drive it much as they just take it down the road for a bit of camping each summer...
                      Frankly that seems rather bizarre if that's a journey of more than a coupe of miles at most?

Have you checked that the temperature gauge is working? I'm not familiar with the 1.9 diesel, but the Haynes says that the temperature sensor is on the left side of the cylinder head?

Comment

Hi. Cambridge is an hour from me. Just up the M11 but I am back at work tomorrow. I can be about next weekend

Comment

You wont go far wrong if Paul has a gander. Which rad did they by pass?

Comment

Cambelt and water pump is about £400
                            Ish if I do it in a 1.9. add £300+ for a garage as back street garages are charging not much below £100 an hour including VAT round my way these days and I’m not in london…..

Grab it for £3k if you can and budget another £1000 to get it mechanically (engine servicing wise) tip top if you’re paying a garage. It probably won’t cost you anything like that but if you budget for it then you won’t go too far wrong. If it’s a new van to you then I’d plan for a full service and glow plugs on top of the belts.

If the bodywork is as good as you say then go for it as engines are easy and cheap to sort when compared with bodywork. Clean rust free examples are almost impossible to find and if it is then £4K isn’t a bad price in my opinion. Wreckers are around a grand from I see at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                              Hi. Cambridge is an hour from me. Just up the M11 but I am back at work tomorrow. I can be about next weekend
                              Really really kind of you Paul. Unfortunately I am hoping to be on my way back to cornwall on the weekend and am hoping to collect before then. I'll let you know if anything changes

Just got a quote from my local for 1.1k like you said Tommy- they are charging 105 an hour now- may be able to get a better price somewhere else but that's what I'll be bargaining with.
                              Waiting on a callback from the seller- gonna go for 3k I think- tempted to go lower but doubt he'll bite.

I'm concerned the radiator bypass may have caused overheating damage to the engine... fingers crossed I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by niseri View Post

Really really kind of you Paul. Unfortunately I am hoping to be on my way back to cornwall on the weekend and am hoping to collect before then. I'll let you know if anything changes

Just got a quote from my local for 1.1k like you said Tommy- they are charging 105 an hour now- may be able to get a better price somewhere else but that's what I'll be bargaining with.
                                Waiting on a callback from the seller- gonna go for 3k I think- tempted to go lower but doubt he'll bite.

I'm concerned the radiator bypass may have caused overheating damage to the engine... fingers crossed I guess!
                                I made a few enquires very recently to see what independent garages are charging now as it was £45+vat when I was in the trade 17 years ago and I was told by a couple people including one customer that I’m too cheap. I was surprised to find out that around £100 an hour is about the norm. Garages have big overheads to be fair to them. It’s still madness at that price though.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X