Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Yes, I know this but your explanation gave me a chuckle.
    Gran - eggs - sucked. Didn't mean to, merely explaining for the benefit of others

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    I struggled to balance the vacuum/pressure control Volvo actuator with either N75 and both at one point to get more boost above 12ish psi.
    It was a lot of f'ing about.
    Whereas using the side port alone and capping the vacuum port it could be boosted to 21psi (1.4bar).
    I found that theVolvo actuator valve and port needed cleaning up so it sealed properly as there was a lot crud built up.
    But have a go yourself. They don't fit actuators like these anymore its a robust system and better than newer actuators.
    I haven't experienced 'spiking'?
    Sounds like a much easier plan

I'll email you a map then.
    You did. Thank You. Sausage is coming round tomorrow for some timing work - I might bite the bullet and fire it in then as I'll have the lapdog outside hooked up to the generator

Sounds like your van is seriously underperforming and a little flat, 3psi must be a running van record - er low?
    It doesn't actually feel that bad, the run to work is about 4 miles, all 30 and 40 limits, mostly on single track backroads, I rarely see any boost showing and never go over 2000 rpm.

Can't believe you've crimped the boost hose? Doesn't sound like an Engineer with OCD traits?
    Nope - its not the best solution, I kept planning to make a cobra's hood type pipe to get through the gap and keep the flow. Something will get done here. Just need a couple of days free.

Can you shim up the Stanadynes?
    Don't see why not - they must be rebuildable. My shim kit might even fit.

Comment

• Saw two mobiles as well

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
        Saw two mobiles as well

Bastards, and usually in layby of uphill overtaking sections
        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Luckily I was being payed so only cruising at 50 🤙🏻

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
            Surprised reg and mr sausages need anymore power. Maybe a battery t4 would be better!!
            I did notice Reg mentioned when questioned about his current employment that he was doing something with Magnetics recently....
            Last edited by Activ8; 29 November 2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• What were you doing in biddy?

Comment

• I work for Openreach mate just doing some maintenance work on the lines nothing exciting I’m afraid!

Comment

• Ah fairplay, not surprised they needed someone from out of the area, the lack of engineers around here is unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    It doesn't actually feel that bad, the run to work is about 4 miles, all 30 and 40 limits, mostly on single track backroads, I rarely see any boost showing and never go over 2000 rpm.
                    I might bite the bullet and fire it in then as I'll have the lapdog outside hooked up to the generator.
                    OK, I'll be around tomorrow evening to make some map tweeks, if you need me too.
                    Based upon the first line, I think we may need to wind this map back....
                    Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Nope - its not the best solution, I kept planning to make a cobra's hood type pipe to get through the gap and keep the flow. Something will get done here. Just need a couple of days free.
                    Which IC have you fitted may be I can help?
                    Have you exposed the IC through the front bumper or mounted it in front of the rad?
                    Don't see why not - they must be rebuildable. My shim kit might even fit.
                    I'll email you some useful Stanadyne Injector info.
                    It would be interesting to clean and shim a set up " like new " and run them for a while????

Comment

OK, I'll be around tomorrow evening to make some map tweeks, if you need me too.
                      Based upon the first line, I think we may need to wind this map back....

Which IC have you fitted may be I can help?
                      Have you exposed the IC through the front bumper or mounted it in front of the rad?

I'll email you some useful Stanadyne Injector info.
                      It would be interesting to clean and shim a set up " like new " and run them for a while????
                      Pulled the N75 out last night and left the pipes hanging - assuming it would be alright ish

It isn't, fuelling has gone out the window and there is zero boost, had to make a different journey this morning involving 60 limits and 60 was about the limit - 50 on hills.

The IC is under bumper, judging by the state of the hoses - it may well be full of oil.

Poor van it needs some love.

I took the N75 apart last night and looking at the design, I cannot see how it would function in the manner it is supposed to - i.e effectively a single pole double throw changeover switch.
                      I'll clean it up and put it back together if I get chance tonight and see what it actually does on the bench - though it may well be different under pressure.

Comment

• I'm making the assumption that you stayed on plan and did NOT map the van but were prepping for a pre-map test run?
                        Your IC is bypassed with standard MAP sensor & pipework?
                        Have you tested the MAP sensor? Static test using VCDS?
                        Turbo actuator is working and sealing closed?
                        Oil and levels all good?
                        Timing within spec?

Pulled the N75 out last night and left the pipes hanging - assuming it would be alright ish
                        As long as it stays electrically plugged in thats fine ie not to add any more "faults" to the current mix.
                        So, pipes off and no boost control! So short runs only right!!
                        For the process of elimination, have you got an MBC you can fit? If only to save the turbo and engine?
                        Overboosting as detected by the MAP is going to put the van into limp mode, So restricted fuel and rpm limited to 3k'ish.
                        So you're driving the van around with no boost control other than the rpm? Fit a mechanical MBC at least...
                        It isn't, fuelling has gone out the window and there is zero boost, had to make a different journey this morning involving 60 limits and 60 was about the limit - 50 on hills.
                        So you're saying the turbo is not spinning or the boosted air is not reaching the intake.
                        Overboosting is going to put the van into limp mode, So heavily restricted fuel and rpm limited to 3k'ish.
                        Plus you may be over pressurizing the engine, pushing oil into the turbo cold side.
                        The IC is under bumper, judging by the state of the hoses - it may well be full of oil.
                        If so, its either in there already or coming from the turbo seals or the engine through the air inlet pipework.
                        Either way sapping boost pressure and restricting boost flow.
                        Poor van it needs some love.
                        Cleanup and a more systematic approach and work through needed?
                        I took the N75 apart last night and looking at the design, I cannot see how it would function in the manner it is supposed to - i.e effectively a single pole double throw changeover switch.
                        I'll clean it up and put it back together if I get chance tonight and see what it actually does on the bench - though it may well be different under pressure.
                        Were the ports clean? Is oil being pushed into the N75?

Comment

I'm making the assumption that you stayed on plan and did NOT map the van but were prepping for a pre-map test run?
                          Your IC is bypassed with standard MAP sensor & pipework?
                          Have you tested the MAP sensor? Static test using VCDS?
                          Turbo actuator is working and sealing closed?
                          Oil and levels all good?
                          Timing within spec?

As long as it stays electrically plugged in thats fine ie not to add any more "faults" to the current mix.
                          So, pipes off and no boost control! So short runs only right!!
                          For the process of elimination, have you got an MBC you can fit? If only to save the turbo and engine?
                          Overboosting as detected by the MAP is going to put the van into limp mode, So restricted fuel and rpm limited to 3k'ish.
                          So you're driving the van around with no boost control other than the rpm? Fit a mechanical MBC at least...

So you're saying the turbo is not spinning or the boosted air is not reaching the intake.
                          Overboosting is going to put the van into limp mode, So heavily restricted fuel and rpm limited to 3k'ish.
                          Plus you may be over pressurizing the engine, pushing oil into the turbo cold side.

If so, its either in there already or coming from the turbo seals or the engine through the air inlet pipework.
                          Either way sapping boost pressure and restricting boost flow.

Cleanup and a more systematic approach and work through needed?

Were the ports clean? Is oil being pushed into the N75?
                          Not checked or changed anything on my van
                          IC still plumbed (badly)
                          timing was in spec 12 months ago

N75 not plugged in as its on my workbench in bits - bit of oil in it, not a lot though

No boost control but also no boost - I'm guessing the air leak introduced downstream of the MAF by the open N75 pipe is causing underfuelling and no energy to spin the turbo.

Yes short runs only - until this morning when I had take a large detour and took sausages 'limp test hill' on route. 0 psi and 50 mph

Yes it is being neglected - Sausages van tonight MOT on mine tomorrow and 5th gear upgrade on sharkbait's van aftyer that. Just hope the van limps along until Christmas break and then I can upset the family.

Comment

• I saw you blud, just after 9am

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                              No boost control but also no boost - I'm guessing the air leak introduced downstream of the MAF by the open N75 pipe is causing underfuelling and no energy to spin the turbo.
                              How can you have no boost?
                              Unless the wastegate is fully open and the actuator is fubar.
                              The actuator must have at least 7-8psi on the spring?
                              You must have a complete boost leak / hose split after the compressor.
                              How the heck is the van running?

Comment

How can you have no boost?
                                Unless the wastegate is fully open and the actuator is fubar.
                                The actuator must have at least 7-8psi on the spring?
                                You must have a complete boost leak / hose split after the compressor.
                                How the heck is the van running?
                                No boost, nada, zilch nowt

Wastegate shut, actuator fine

No leak.

How's the van running? Like a poorly normally aspirated diesel?

There's not enough fuel/heat energy to spin the turbo.

I've a feeling the wastegate may be a bit leaky.

I've ghetto fixed it in Sainsburys carpark during lunch - bit of twig snapped off a tree and jammed in the N75 line back to the inlet has corrected the MAF signal and restored the boost.

I also plugged the compressor housing pipe straight to the wastegate - should give me 7-8 psi max and no semi mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X