Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Was only joking bud, wouldn't wish for a war mate.
    Apologies bud, ... I've just been there...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
      No mate, just no, even when my van is in limp mode it is still quicker than the 1.9d, and that's not exaggerating either
      A second class ride is better than a first walk

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Apologies bud, ... I've just been there...

No need to mate. And if I was to get out of line i'm thick skinned enough to take a bollocking.

Comment

• S49 - I know what you mean, I may work with cutting edge technology but I'm very much a luddite and have shunned even touching these new fangled tdis for years.

I've been waving a proper mechanical diesel pump under Sausages nose and whispering 'sweet mTdi' at him. This would be the way to go, proper oldschool diesel, the more diesel and air you throw at it the faster it goes, no n75s or EGRs or driver wish lists to contend with. Just plenty of soot and lots of power.

Anyway, he's coming over tomorrow and I'm going to get my soldering iron out and a laptop and try to fix his van - I'd much prefer a big hammer and bits of hedge.

Comment

• Does the I in TDI stand for intercooler? My workshops landlord has a discovery badged as a TDI, once I removed the armoured cover to change his stop valve and wired to an ignition feed to by pass the chip in his key there is no electronics on it. Used to think the I stood for injection for some reason. The old volvo 940 with the 5 pot vdub motor had the engine code D24 and the turbo one were D24TIC (turbo intercooler)..................i'll get me coat.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Does the I in TDI stand for intercooler? .
              No it doesn't.

The DI stands for Direct injection - so you used to be right.

Older diesels are indirect injection - the injectors fire into pre-combustion chambers - sometimes known as IDI

Made all the more confusing by manufacturers calling their old indirect inection turbo engines - "TDs" - this is where the confusion comes thinking the I might stand for 'intercooler'

Whilst your getting your coat, could you get mine? It's the blue pak-a-mac with the mittens threaded through. Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Whilst your getting your coat, could you get mine? It's the blue pak-a-mac with the mittens threaded through.Cheers!
                Help him with it aswell S49, remember it's a back to front style with the straps done up tight and the mittens are so he can't harm himself.

Comment

• As Lemmy said " I really like this jacket but the sleeves are much too long, its just a holiday back at the funny farm"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                    "The limp mode isn't limp mode

The wastegate is broke"

I have plenty of boost until I go into 5th where at 3k the boost is vastly reduced, it doesn't return properly until the ignition is turned off and back on again. I don't know if it would cut the boost at 3k in other gears as I've never needed to hold it that wide open before, but that will be something for me to try.
                    So mine is doing the same now , will loose boost in all gears don't even have to reach 3000rpm , would or could that be the wastegate seized ??

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• This sound contagious

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

• That's why i'll stay in club ABL. Mind with everybody getting their thinking caps on the cause will be found.
                        Last edited by S49; 2 December 2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
                          So mine is doing the same now , will loose boost in all gears don't even have to reach 3000rpm , would or could that be the wastegate seized ??

So that yours and Sausages' vans diagnosiss don't get confusing - albeit they may be similar - start a new thread bud.

Comment

• Originally posted by daleydub View Post
                            This sound contagious

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s
                            We'll have to invent an acronym for these boys with AHU engines?
                            A...
                            H...
                            U...

Comment

• A.... ARSEHOLE

H.... Hardup

U... utter twats that should not fuck with shit !!

Comment

• The above all refers to me [emoji13]

Comment

Working...
                                X