Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
    Gentle, you won't feel a thing...promise.
    Morning Arfur, hows your day going bud?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Oh OK, just read into the rebuilding of it wrongly. There pretty robust units considering a lot have come off high milers and unlikely to have had bearing changes?
      Compared to some of the VNT units I've stripped they're in a different league.

Convenience wise, I found capping the top port and running the actuator control from the AJT's 1H0906627 into the side (make sure N75 is within tolerance) easier.
      Remove the compressor housing to side port pipe and reuse the fittings to plumb up your control.
      You'll need a new N75 map or full remap as well.
      If required, I'll write and email you a new map to suit the new turbo setup with Stanadynes and your FMIC.
      Alternatively try mapping it yourself but you'll think twice about fitting those new injectors in, once its 100%!

And because I know you'll ask,...If you copy the Volvo 2.5tdi setup for controlling the actuator - its a pita, ie vacuum on the top port and pressure in the side.
      Its a lot of work mapping the N75 control using the VAG 1H0906627A likewise using the Volvo N75 (which plugs in) but is electrically different.
      As I'm developing this map for my next VNT turbo upgrade I'll not share/trade at the moment.

Both require a shed load of test runs playing with the setup or a rolling road for half a day!

Both setups work very very well, are super robust and meet the needs for bigger power & torque WITHOUT straining the clutch and gearbox.
      If you get tired of this standard setup I can introduce you to a hybrid of this which takes it further again, so you're not wasteing the effort fitting the Volvo gear.

Will you need another turbo , no, unless you want a strip racer?
      I had to wind back the mapping with this turbo , as the van was wheel spinning in 1st and 2nd from junctions

You find the wastegate response is fine just with the single positive pressure input - I guess it would lack finesse at lower boost limit settings?

Why does it need a new N75 map? Will it not just run as before? it just reaches the boost limit on the map and opens the wastegate until the boost falls back within designated region?

Obviously to take advantage of the turbo it would benefit from a map - but to run as before?

I'm not interested in doing anything with the stanadynes - As it sits there misfiring, blowing white smoke and smelling like all AJTs do, I'm not keeping those injectors.

Now if you can do me a map for the 220BAR 240s, volvo K14 and FMIC - that'll be ideal. I'll build you some injectors.

Hoping to do the engine work over christmas break - as the van will be unused for a few days - I'm pulling the front off as I need to sort that intercooler pipework as well.

As for the strip racer? In the pipeline... but not on my daily. Wont be a five pot, but it will at least be an oil burner.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        You find the wastegate response is fine just with the single positive pressure input - I guess it would lack finesse at lower boost limit settings?
        Why does it need a new N75 map?
        ? Will it not just run as before? it just reaches the boost limit on the map and opens the wastegate until the boost falls back within designated region?
        The setup relies on the N75 solenoid and its map, as theres little if any resistance through the side port, unlike the sprung T4 K14 actuator.
        I need to check my notes on the setup, as I've moved on now. So wait out. I did run an MBC to try but the N75 route drove better.

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Obviously to take advantage of the turbo it would benefit from a map - but to run as before?
        Try your AJT in standard form - mapped. If you've bypassed your IC I'll send you a map, air temp is so low, the IC is unnecessary.

I'm not interested in doing anything with the stanadynes - As it sits there misfiring, blowing white smoke and smelling like all AJTs do, I'm not keeping those injectors.
        Try it! Those Stanadynes are a better design than the 2 staged Bosch injectors.
        The engine runs cleaner, smoke disappears and its an easy step forward.
        Your feedback would help others stop making the unnecessary transition and expense for Stage 0 power.

Now if you can do me a map for the 220BAR 240s, volvo K14 and FMIC - that'll be ideal. I'll build you some injectors.
        Yeh sure, but I'm advising that you won't need them... You really don't need the extra fuelling or injection timing with the 11mm VP37.

Hoping to do the engine work over christmas break - as the van will be unused for a few days - I'm pulling the front off as I need to sort that intercooler pipework as well.
        Crikey thats brave at Xmas. I get an earful if I stay too long in the garage when getting something out of the freezer!

As for the strip racer? In the pipeline... but not on my daily. Wont be a five pot, but it will at least be an oil burner.
        Love to help and give Darkside a diesel licking...?

Comment

The setup relies on the N75 solenoid and its map, as theres little if any resistance through the side port, unlike the sprung T4 K14 actuator.
          I need to check my notes on the setup, as I've moved on now. So wait out. I did run an MBC to try but the N75 route drove better.

The actuator is a sprung diaphragm....

the VW wastegate is pushed open by boost pressure on the back of the diaphragm, the only resistance is the spring

The volvo wastegate is pulled open by engine vacuum on the back of the diaphragm, and also pushed open by boost pressure on the front of the diaphragm, the only resistance is the spring

It can be assumed that either the spring is heavier or the diaphragm area is smaller on the volvo unit and it would have less tendancy to spike - if it helps think of it as a nice healthy sphincter crimping one off all neat and clean. the vw version has a little brown smear running down the inside edge of the right buttock.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Try your AJT in standard form - mapped. If you've bypassed your IC I'll send you a map, air temp is so low, the IC is unnecessary.
          I will

Try it! Those Stanadynes are a better design than the 2 staged Bosch injectors.
          The engine runs cleaner, smoke disappears and its an easy step forward.
          Your feedback would help others stop making the unnecessary transition and expense for Stage 0 power.
          I will - will it also correct the mismatched breaking pressure and the crappy atomisation/pattern problems?

Yeh sure, but I'm advising that you won't need them... You really don't need the extra fuelling or injection timing with the 11mm VP37.
          Is not just about the extra fuelling, the rate of delivery is key

Crikey thats brave at Xmas. I get an earful if I stay too long in the garage when getting something out of the freezer!
          Aha - the old I am just popping out "insert lame justification here"

Love to help and give Darkside a diesel licking...?
          That aint gonna happen, you seen there lupo's run? Jeez!

I only have 12p in the racecar budget, and I just blew most of that on orange paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            The actuator is a sprung diaphragm....
            The VW wastegate is pushed open by boost pressure on the back of the diaphragm, the only resistance is the spring.
            Yes, I took one to pieces and installed a stronger spring, when I was experimenting.
            I had very little leakage before or after..... (don't do it Arfur)
            The volvo wastegate is pulled open by engine vacuum on the back of the diaphragm, and also pushed open by boost pressure on the front of the diaphragm, the only resistance is the spring
            It can be assumed that either the spring is heavier or the diaphragm area is smaller on the volvo unit and it would have less tendancy to spike - if it helps think of it as a nice healthy sphincter crimping one off all neat and clean. the vw version has a little brown smear running down the inside edge of the right buttock.
            Yes, I know this but your explanation gave me a chuckle.
            I struggled to balance the vacuum/pressure control Volvo actuator with either N75 and both at one point to get more boost above 12ish psi.
            It was a lot of f'ing about.
            Whereas using the side port alone and capping the vacuum port it could be boosted to 21psi (1.4bar).
            I found that theVolvo actuator valve and port needed cleaning up so it sealed properly as there was a lot crud built up.
            But have a go yourself. They don't fit actuators like these anymore its a robust system and better than newer actuators.
            I haven't experienced 'spiking'?

I will
            I'll email you a map then.

I will - will it also correct the mismatched breaking pressure and the crappy atomisation/pattern problems?
            Sounds like your van is seriously underperforming and a little flat, 3psi must be a running van record - er low?
            Can't believe you've crimped the boost hose? Doesn't sound like an Engineer with OCD traits?

Yes, I found that the Stanadynes running my map "cleaned up" and the injected tolerances narrowed considerably.
            My needle sensor injector went from an unhealthy +1mg/s to +0.1mg/s after a week.
            I didn't pull them out and measure the opening pressure(s), but any 150k AJT would benefit from shimming them up to spec.
            When I did pull them they came out super clean though.
            Can you shim up the Stanadynes?

Is not just about the extra fuelling, the rate of delivery is key
            Indeed

That aint gonna happen, you seen there lupo's run? Jeez!
            Pauls there "mad" lead after Ryan and both like to talk....

I only have 12p in the race car budget, and I just blew most of that on orange paint.
            So, with the 5p balance build a racecar

Comment

Morning Arfur, hows your day going bud?
              Shit. Its lashing it down. Has been all day.
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                Shit. Its lashing it down. Has been all day.
                Ah well, cleans the dust of the van eh?

Comment

Ah well, cleans the dust of the van eh?
                  It's about the only time it gets a wash, right enough. It's not what I signed up for though.
                  Thanks for asking though, fair cheered me up.

Comment

• Go down the skate park in the rain Arfur. Put some good tunes in your ear-buds and stuff the weather, the world , and enjoy the little spray that the wheels flick up, the trail behind you and the hot shower you can.look foward to later.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• This is all getting very whimsical...........keep it up.

Comment

Go down the skate park in the rain Arfur. Put some good tunes in your ear-buds and stuff the weather, the world , and enjoy the little spray that the wheels flick up, the trail behind you and the hot shower you can.look foward to later.

I have recently discovered some very good tunes on a recent playlist recommendation

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          This is all getting very whimsical...........keep it up.
                          Well this IS the one truly caring sharing forum, right...

Comment

• Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Had to do a job in Biddeford today! Don’t think I’ve ever seen so many bloody speed cameras in my life as there is on that north Devon link road!!! Surprised reg and mr sausages need anymore power. Maybe a battery t4 would be better!!

Lovely part the world though [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• I was working in Bideford today!
                              Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• 3 cameras in 45 miles of link road
                                Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

Working...
                                X