Rosy the Red wReck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time no post.

This one has been forgotten about as I’ve got exceptional amounts of work elsewhere on stuff. 10+ vans for other people and all major engine works. The missus has bought an XC90 for peanuts (my fault really) and that’s needed a mountain of work that I’m half way through but it’s in the road. My 850 T5 just refuses to die despite being badly neglected. The T5 is getting the bargain 6 speed conversion within the next 10-14 days and the focus has had the engine work and is now up for sale and my day job is full tilt so I’ve been doing almost 7 days a week for months now and it’s beginning to wear thin.

Back to the camper, the road test revealed that it’s ferociously torquey and that the driveshafts spacer wasn’t enough and the shaft detonated so a thicker spacer was required. Also the new shifter is going to be mounted inside the cab and not under it and I’m getting the cables shortened this time to do it properly.

The ECU’s have been a ballache as the first was corrupted and didn’t operate the glow plugs or fuel pump although it did run. Next one from the mapper should be back Ina couple days.

The turbo is rather loud and wants a rebuild but I haven’t ordered any bits to do so yet.

The cluster has a few warning lights but nothing to worry about as its systems like brake pad warning and airbag so I just need to spend a few hours with the multimeter and soldering iron and that’ll be sorted.

The fuel gauge doesn’t read properly and the more fuel I put in the lower it reads which is both a wiring fault of something I’ve fucked yo and the PD fuel sender so I’m refitting a T4 sender and a facet external lift pump to get that all honky dory.

The sump is 2” below the subframe to get the driveshaft angle right with the 6 speed Galaxy/alhambra/sharan gearbox but there’s a shallow vw beetle 2.0 sump that’s bolt on and over half inch shallower to help with that but the one that’s on it is still 8” from the road as the vans on lifted suspension and tyres and I’ll make a custom skid plate/ sump guard anyway as I can’t stand having to worry about how I drive so that isn’t an option.

It’s 90% there and drives me but time isn’t on my side so it’s been forgotten for a while. It’s back in the garage now and I’m sorting the shifter, pump and electrical gremlins as we’re already late for our camping season and I’m getting abuse from the missus so I’m forced to crack back on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Tommy. Sounds like there not enough hours in the day to me.But. Good on you. Crack on I sure will will get it all done soon

Comment

• Oh. And there's me with just an alternator to fit and front fog lights. Alternator will be done today. Got to fit my awning rail soon. Only had it it a year

Comment

• Family first TP, the rest is irrelevant ....

Comment

• I had to abandon this as I had too much other stuff on but now I’m getting proper agro from the missus about going away so I’ve started on the PD camper again.

There’s almost too much to type up but I’ll give it a go:

I ordered another shifter and cables. I had the cables shortened by 240mm and then mounted the shifter inside the cab. I just need to weld the extended stick onto it: the six speed shift now feels as tight as a nuns ****. Delicious.

I pulled out the shalhambralaxy sender and in tank pump for a facet pump I’ve mounted in the engine bay. The shalhambralaxy sender doesn’t read the fuel level correctly and I want it to all work as OEM so I ditched it. Works fine so far. It fires for a couple seconds with the ignition on and then as required whilst running (high load/rpm).

I’ve been through about 4 ECU’s and maps that haven’t worked and now it’s ok a standard ASZ PD130 ECU with just the immobiliser deleted and everything works as it should. I just need to switch off the airbag light in the now 2.5tdi clocks and I’ve got the “!” Handbrake warning symbol which I thought was the handbrake but now think is the oil level sensor. The PD I have doesn’t have that.

The turbo was fucked when I bought the Ford Galaxy but I wanted to get it all in and running before I even thought about that but as it’s in and running I’ve ripped the turbo out and ordered a mellett CHRA as time isn’t in my side so I’m not rebuilding this one myself:

Half shaft bearing is about to separate from the shaft so I’ve pulled it out and ordered a new one and stub shaft into the diff.

There’s host of minor jobs to sort like weld a plate into the existing T4 shifter hole in the floor and central locking not working and a shit tonne of other minor bits are very got on the whiteboard but it’s all small fry.

It’s now 95% there.

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh and the sump is about 2” below the subframe so I’ve ordered a 2.0 petrol one that is about 1/2” shallower and a common mod for all the slammed twats. I’ve already got about 8” of ground clearance as it is but I want more and no worries ever so I’ll use the shallower sump and fabricate a sump guard out of decent thickness plate for peace of mind.

#vanlife

Comment

• The French for a Sleeping Policeman is "Un Relentisseur" - something that makes me/you relent....or should do?

Click image for larger version  Name:	speedbump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	361508

It was coming off the newly built stretch of Autoroute from Bordeaux - (very weird being more or less the only vehicle in sight in the middle of the afternoon in either direction, on an otherwise pristine motorway on a boiling hot day...) and heading down a bendy road into a sleepy rural town that I was familiar with, and as I rounded a corner there was a loud bang, and the old Sierra flew into the air. Le Relentisseur was new, unlike the Sierra's suspension which had seen better days and was sagging quite a bit, so just like the owner .

I hate the damn things, but it's currently one of my favourite French words.
                Last edited by Jim24; 3 April 2024, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Today was the day and she delivered. The first successful road test of the PD130 and 02N 6 speed. The first road test a month or so ago lasting 23 yards and a detonated driveshaft.

I did 30 miles over a wide range of roads, speeds, inclines and conditions. Overall I’m thoroughly chuffed. A host of the usual teething problems but nothing major (I don’t think)

A couple of electrical gremlins. The airbag light is on so I need to ground the wire to fool the cluster that everything is honky dory. The handbrake being on prompts a flashing red ( ! ) light and irritating loud beeping but when it’s off it’s fine. The n/s/r caliper was slightly sticking. The gearbox whines in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The box is at a slightly different angle so needs more fluid and I haven’t checked the fluid anyway which I knew was a risk but I couldn’t find my security socket for the drain and fill plugs and my impatience got the better of me so fuck knows what is or isn’t in there.

The clutch sticks at the very uppermost part of the travel for a few seconds after changing gear and the bite is a tad high. This makes the clutch slip momentarily and the engine is quite torquey so it slips easily. I can feel it underfoot as a noticeable click when it engages fully. I’m going to try an 02G clutch master cylinder as the high bite leads me to think mine is too big. The wrong master can wreck the CSC very quickly so I’ve ordered one. The shalhambralaxy master is 19mm the same as an 02b but I have no clue about the mounting position and pivot point on the standard pedal so I’m going to try the smaller 02G master as that will make a difference. My pedal is currently a tad stiff so all the warning signs are there.

Fluid and level: the engine and box lean forward a few degrees more than they did in the donor so I’ve checked the oil pickup and that’s not bad so I’ve just left it and added a tad of extra oil. The gearbox however might also need some extra oil. I’ll have to fill it through the reverse light switch hole as the normal one won’t let me overfill it and with the angle it’ll be drastically low. The input shaft has a lot of play which is a common 02m/02n trait that can lead to issues. I haven’t got the symptoms but I had a lot of play in mine so I’ll deal with it. There are shim kits available for about £20 or so and they tighten it all up. Absolute worst case scenario if I need another box I’ve got one down south that reg picked up and is storing for me. I’ve might also have a third 02N that I’m just closing a deal on with a few engines so I’m not fussed whatever it is.

Despite the missus complaining about how close the throw was in the old gearbox, I’m not being told that the throw is too long on this one although I think it’s decent. I’ll have to short shift it further I think. Happy wife, happy life and all that. Daft really as I do all the driving when we’re together and if he uses it then it’s when I’m not there so I’m thinking I may not bother as it’s doesn’t benefit me. I’ve got far too many other things in to piss about.

It’s currently on a standard PD130 ECU and it wafts up to 70 pretty quickly with little throttle. It feels like a mapped 2.5tdi but with a far more eager and responsive engine. I think that’s down to the VGT. It’s making 14psi of boost at around 1400rpm. Peak boost is 18psi at 1600rpm. When I’ve sorted the clutch and gearbox I’ll stick on the stage one mapped ECU that I’ve got here. That’ll really make it shift. Ultimately I only want this to be an utterly effortless drive. Minimal rpm and throttle input and maximum acceleration so it feels like a breeze to drive. It’s already clearly quicker than my mapped T5 but that weight the same as a small moon. Remember, if anyone tries to tell you their van is heavy because it’s a camper with a 75kg RnR bed, cheap ply units and a subwoofer then you can immediately write them off as a thick **** that’s talking utter shit and as Father Time trudges on you do not need to entertain their horseshit. Even fully loaded and with 100L of onboard water I doubt performance will change to any degree I’ll notice.

I’ve probably only detailed about 15% of what’s gone into this engine and box conversion on here along with the research. It’s eaten hundreds of hours of my life but I think it’s been worth it. It drives a treat.

#vanlife

Comment

• Got the missus to take a cheeky pic: a shade over 2000rpm @ 74mph.

I did a bit of research on the 02N and I knew it was lower geared than the car 02M’s which are overgeared for a van but I didn’t delve too deep as I didn’t care, I just wanted rid of the fucking 02b at any and all costs. I’m pretty chuffed with the gearing even on my massive wheels and tyres. Delicious.

#vanlife

Comment

• A real positive achievement TP.
                      Thanks for sharing on here bud.
                      Inspiring. Cheers!

Comment

• Great post, keep them coming.
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• That is a great ratio, is that a genuine 74mph?

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                          It’s currently on a standard PD130 ECU and it wafts up to 70 pretty quickly with little throttle. It feels like a mapped 2.5tdi but with a far more eager and responsive engine. I think that’s down to the VGT. It’s making 14psi of boost at around 1400rpm. Peak boost is 18psi at 1600rpm.
                          Whats the torque at 1400rpm? The 2.5 could do similar but the torque map wont let you to save the crank.

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                          Remember, if anyone tries to tell you their van is heavy because it’s a camper with a 75kg RnR bed, cheap ply units and a subwoofer then you can immediately write them off as a thick **** that’s talking utter shit and as Father Time trudges on you do not need to entertain their horseshit. Even fully loaded and with 100L of onboard water I doubt performance will change to any degree I’ll notice.
                          I'd swear blind my van is way quicker with the twin seat out and that probably weighs 60kg, I reckon it handles better too - quick obvious this is bollocks as I don't notice the opposite with 3 extra passengers on board so the effect of removing the seat is purely psychological as the acoustics of the van change significantly and it is just that it sounds faster.

Comment

• Good point, I checked on the gps and it was actually 71mph. I need to calibrate the clocks for the big wheels. It’s on the list but I need to find out how for a start so I’ll get reading.

Dunno about a torque figure but on the standard map it feels very punchy at low rpm and then held back as the revs rise. The mapped T5 pulls far smoother and has a better power curve for both torque and bhp despite having inferior hardware (turbo and injectors). I’ve got the stage one ECU here from the same bloke that did my T5 and I’m hoping it’s mega epic.

“Way faster” after loosing 60kg? With the torque you’ve got I can’t see that to being the case? Maybe your mind playing tricks on you? If I take a few hundred KG out of my T5 it feels very marginally quicker but nothing to write home about and I can only really notice it on hills rather than straight line performance. I can’t speak for the PD in the camper but I couldn’t ever feel the difference with the 1.9mtdi whether the onboard water tank was full or empty. Maybe a slight difference with the kids, big awning and all the kids garbage I might notice a slight change.

#vanlife

Comment

• Ah ,I re-read your comments and I see you already doubted your observation. That’s fair enough. I swear sometimes my mind plays tricks on me like this. Towing being a perfect example of this. My T5 was atrocious and I dreaded towing yet when it came to it, although it was utterly horrific before mapping, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Although 32mph up hill on the motorway on one steep long hill was not only painful but downright dangerous so I feel I wasn’t wrong on that one.

However, I do truly honestly swear that there’s a definite difference when it’s hot in the summer, mine always make less power in the heat. I love the winter for blasting around like a hooligan.

#vanlife

Comment

• Cooler air is thicker. Vehicle always go better on a cool damp morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X