No announcement yet.

Rosy the Red wReck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great thread, looking forward to the finished article.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1070 View Post
      A great thread, looking forward to the finished article.
      When it’s back from the full respray in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed) I’ve got the wheels to do between now and then and the other engine, the bike rack to go on and the boot spoiler which is being painted too.

It should look like a totally different van.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Did you put any bracing in for the tailgate hinges?
        Nope, I just used some large washers on the inside and the body looked like it was already strong enough to accept the hinges and tailgate.

I didn’t see any info about reinforcing at the time, what are you thinking?

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

Everything about the van was shoestring when we got it with the exception of one element. The previous owners had put Sachs HD Super Touring on it. It handled fantastically round the bends like a little golf Gti but it was horrible over bumps and pot holes. I thought this was down to stiff dampers but I then found out the back springs were coil bound. Also, I couldn’t get my finger in between the front bump stop and the upper arm and I have teenie tiny little girl hands.

I’ve been looking at the Vogtland 45mm rear springs as they cope with weight apparently but I haven’t filled out the D Faulkner’s, I’ll just need to work out how to order the right size ones. I’ll get the 17” alloys on and decide whether to raise it up on the torsion bars or grind down the bump stops and their casting that the “sausages fanboy club” do or do both.
          #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
            Everything about the van was shoestring when we got it with the exception of one element. The previous owners had put Sachs HD Super Touring on it. It handled fantastically round the bends like a little golf Gti but it was horrible over bumps and pot holes. I thought this was down to stiff dampers but I then found out the back springs were coil bound. Also, I couldn’t get my finger in between the front bump stop and the upper arm and I have teenie tiny little girl hands.

I’ve been looking at the Vogtland 45mm rear springs as they cope with weight apparently but I haven’t filled out the D Faulkner’s, I’ll just need to work out how to order the right size ones. I’ll get the 17” alloys on and decide whether to raise it up on the torsion bars or grind down the bump stops and their casting that the “sausages fanboy club” do or do both.
            Get a set of sausages brackets - there's a bit of a waiting list though

Comment

I’ll just grind mine down. I’ll probably raise it anyway. Low vans are fucking useless on the roads.

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

.... but I haven’t filled out the D Faulkner’s, I’ll just need to work out how to order the right size ones. I’ll get the 17” alloys on and decide whether to raise it up on the torsion bars or grind down the bump stops and their casting that the “sausages fanboy club” do or do both.
                Measure the length of the compressed spring on the van. If its coil bound then fit an oem to measure. Remove one spring and take the springs dimensions and # of active coils. The calc will tell you the rear axle loading. With this you can call Faulkners to spec an off the shelf spring or make one (easy.process) for your van and loads otherwise its a best "guess" .

Comment

Alternatively buy a cheap T4 coilover kit with short rear springs and spring adjusters for mm perfect setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Alternatively buy a cheap T4 coilover kit with short rear springs and spring adjusters for mm perfect setup.
                    I’ll look into this idea. I’ll take a look at what rating the kits are and see. Cheers Rob

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

I’ll look into this idea. I’ll take a look at what rating the kits are and see
                      The faulkners are not a guess - enough people use them.

But are you even at the faulkners stage yet, how low are you going?

Eibach, KW, Vogtlands, or H&R if you want quality.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

The faulkners are not a guess - enough people use them.

But are you even at the faulkners stage yet, how low are you going?

Eibach, KW, Vogtlands, or H&R if you want quality.

The Faulkner’s look perfect it’s just getting into it and knowing which ones are the right ones for me. I’m not planning on low at all really. Just a nice consistent gap round the tyre and arch so not low at all really, just sat nice.

I was sold on the vogtlands but haven’t pressed the button yet. It’s a fucker having 4 project vehicles, time is an issue on the research side and money at times. Lol

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

The Faulkner’s look perfect it’s just getting into it and knowing which ones are the right ones for me. I’m not planning on low at all really. Just a nice consistent gap round the tyre and arch so not low at all really, just sat nice.

I was sold on the vogtlands but haven’t pressed the button yet. It’s a fucker having 4 project vehicles, time is an issue on the research side and money at times. Lol

Sent from a muppet
                          Faulkners are compromises. I think the lows you want can be achieved with normal lowering springs and not have to suffer poor spring seating and retainer straps.

Comment

Not posted much in here as the van is still at paint. Shouldn’t be much longer now tbf.

I’ve turned my attention to the turbo now I’ve had a proven and roaring success with the white beasts VGT. I’m looking at going for a VNT17 for the ABL. Most likely a GT1749V/VA, maybe even a GT1749VB. I’ve dug this info up on them:

GT1749V - 33,5mm compressor and 36,5mm exducer (I think the PD100)

GT1749VA - 35mm compressor and 36,5mm exducer (PD110/115/130?)

GT1749VB - 37mm compressor and 38,3mm exducer (PD150)

These are the ones with the integral manifold so all I’ll need to do is most likely custom oil feed/return, fabricate new turbo back exhaust and minor intercooler air box to turbo pipework changes and another Mamba boost actuator for controlling the vanes.

Still researching.....

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

Okay so I’ve ordered a VNT15/GT1749v:

£67 delivered and it’s got the downpipe with it so that’ll come in handy for the flange (haha).

I’m just thinking about ordering a 1.9d non turbo inlet manifold as it’s got lovely long runners that are good for torque and flow, especially with a turbo. The turbo is underslung so it’s got loads of room for the big manifold.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

And now a 1x manifold.....

£34 delivered from the fatherland

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X