X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Having had K16's, K24's & hybrids of, fitted for many years across Porsche and Audi's I know how awesome they are ! I've remained an advocate of the KKK whilst others played with cheap oem Garrett offerings.

I'd have to review the old airmass readings to see whats happening and might do when I get 5 mins.

Wheres the timing at exactly?
    Any adjustment beyond oem will effectively adjust the squirt, ignition, combustion and cylinder torque timing and cycles. You also built the pump up (iirc?) which may also be out of spec.

Get my Compaq charged and out and log a run out if only to stop the gum bumping and get some data to advise you what's actually going on!

I’ve not touched the pump, it’s a standard Vw one. The IQ sits nicely so I’ve not even touched the lid.

I don’t like Garrett shite.

I’m sure the timing was something wild in the .90 region.

I’m not worrying about anything to do with the mapping until the Holset is on and I’ll need to carefully tile that with you and maybe leave it with you for a day or so. Unless it doesn’t limp and then I’ll just come over for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    Having had K16's, K24's & hybrids of, fitted for many years across Porsche and Audi's I know how awesome they are ! I've remained an advocate of the KKK whilst others played with cheap oem Garrett offerings.

I'd have to review the old airmass readings to see whats happening and might do when I get 5 mins.

Wheres the timing at exactly?
    Any adjustment beyond oem will effectively adjust the squirt, ignition, combustion and cylinder torque timing and cycles. You also built the pump up (iirc?) which may also be out of spec.

Get my Compaq charged and out and log a run out if only to stop the gum bumping and get some data to advise you what's actually going on!

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    The compressor housing and venturi on the K24's is too small , you have the fuel but not enough airmass for a clean burn although it could be that airbox config. Run a logrun and the maf airmass.

You could modify the boost hoses and increase the diameter too?

Possibly your advance (+0.2?) and the cold cylinders will affect the start up smoke affecting the burn as could your aging injector nozzles and staged opening pressures.
    The k24 is a beast of the likes you’ve never seen or experienced previously. You’re in awe and you know it. She’s a world destroyer……but the Holset is a universe ender. And no doubt a gearbox, clutch, driveshaft, engine mount and wallet ender too.

Airbox?!?!?! I’ve removed the restrictive cones, drilled a 3” hole to the wing in the airbox base and fitted a K&N flat panel filter. Other that a cone to suck up all the hot engine bay air there’s fuck all that can be improved on that.

I think the boost hoses are 2.25” which is greater than the turbo como housing outlet and the same as the inlet size.

The advance isn’t the issue. It’s the same if it’s set at .60 so we can discount that entirely.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Mott The Hoople? Thats got be the worst thing ever to come out of The Shire.
    Paaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Just a random band I’ve never listened to but know who they are for comedic effect. PMSL

Always assume in the very first instance that I’m talking total bollocks. Anything for a cheap laugh. Now just roll away the stone, roll away the stone…….never heard anything like it! Hahahahahahahahhaa

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    The compressor housing and venturi on the K24's is too small , you have the fuel but not enough airmass for a clean burn although it could be that airbox config. Run a logrun and the maf airmass.

You could modify the boost hoses and increase the diameter too?

Possibly your advance (+0.2?) and the cold cylinders will affect the start up smoke affecting the burn as could your aging injector nozzles and staged opening pressures.

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    Mott The Hoople? Thats got be the worst thing ever to come out of The Shire.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    In other and less interesting news, after month with a stereo I managed to get my fat grubby little hands on a Pioneer X8700DAB which is a bizarrely highly spec’d stereo for its price point and no longer in production so I sought out a used one.

I had a fairly decent kenwood in it but last year before our last trip I took it out with the aim to borrow it for the camper for a trip away and then swap back but the wiring was so badly bodged in the camper that I hard wired the adaptor into the van so I just left it in there as I hadn’t got time to fuck about.

I’ll get it in over the weekend and have the greatest hits of Mott the Hoople blaring out in no time.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    I've heard and read a few accounts of local drivers being pulled over by 5-0, for smoke and given warnings to clean them up .....

A soot catcher could be handy in the near future.
    Well smoke is another story…..

I get a big black cloud when the turbo enters apocalypse mode and throughout its reign of terror. It then really kills dolphins from 4500rpm and upwards. This is mapping as we know and can’t be dealt with until we gain control of boost which the Holset will rectify.

I also get a fair bit of grey smoke (knackered injectors) when cold and for a while and as we know it’s mega advanced on timing so it can only be the injectors. That and I have a misfire in low load scenarios at around 1500rpm. I can’t justify £400 on nozzles though. If only I knew someone that has some Bosch nozzles he’ll never use and sell them to me for what he paid then I’d be sorted……….

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    Anyone else read about Porsche & Merc producing their own biomass fuel for new IC engines? The German car manufacturers are placing pressure / lobbying their parliament to veto the latest round of EU emissions legislation? On board is Poland and Italy, too.

Don't give up your IC engine!

With globalisation dying daily and trade wars already under way, I can see business and economics trumping environmental issues despite what the greens and current legislatures argue.

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    I've heard and read a few accounts of local drivers being pulled over by 5-0, for smoke and given warnings to clean them up .....

A soot catcher could be handy in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• arfur fox-acre
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyP View Post
    Im thinking more and more about doing a more conventional exhaust exiting out the back with a back box. I think I’ll cut and re weld the rear crossmember to get it half into the rear bumper rather than hang below as I think that looks gash like a cherry bomb hanging out the arse of a Citroen saxo.

Is that a euphemism? I'm not up to date with the terminology.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Im thinking more and more about doing a more conventional exhaust exiting out the back with a back box. I think I’ll cut and re weld the rear crossmember to get it half into the rear bumper rather than hang below as I think that looks gash like a cherry bomb hanging out the arse of a Citroen saxo.

Leave a comment:

• arfur fox-acre
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyP View Post
    Oh bugger. I so desperately needed the sympathy of my peers too….

Best you start looking in the dictionary then as that's the only place you'll find it.

It's right there between shit and syphilis.

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    Good, so get the Holset fitted!

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Oh bugger. I so desperately needed the sympathy of my peers too….

Leave a comment:

Working...
X