X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    You're being a little tough on Jim (a tough educated single 68 year old ex-Ford owning vegan Northerner with a penchant for French walnuts) but with a very very high desire to learn. He's unlike your goodself, unnaturally talented, who would nip outside between loading an XBOX game to change the clutch with one hand and without spilling a drop of Aldi's finest malt in the other. Two ends of the owner spectrum.

It's Jim's only transport other than his bus pass and a garage full of pre war single strokers (?) and doesn't have a hoard of spares or local sources sitting on T4 mountains of spares , that at the drop of a vape would sort a short circuit in your processes to infill a rebuild problem or timing issue.
    Cut the bollocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

When I looked my PR Codes up, OZN was described as "High Geared", which I assume that option is, for an 02B?

I guess the gearbox diagram is another one of those 'one serves all' generic diagrams, this time based on the O2G? Regarding the mounts - different ones are listed etc depending on the gearbox variant, even on the same diagram, of which there are several even for 1999, so I don't really see an issue.

Incidently, the only explicit mistake on the diagrams that I've come across so far, is the wrong Part No provided for the rubber breather fitting on the 2.4D cambox lid, but I expect there could be others.

Somehow I doubt that many Factors will have personally worked on T4's, and Autodoc and the like will rely heavily on the Parts Diagrams. I recall even Si having to ask Rob to post up some Doka ones when he got into new territory, and it's all new territory for most of us? So why shouldn't I do so too?

As for Autodoc and my recent difficulties, I will only use them reluctantly in future.

The last thing I want to do is to antagonise you and Si, and you two bring more to the Forum than the rest of us combined, so as I said, I won't be posting any more up soon. HM will be delighted!
    I give up, carry on. I’m out.

Leave a comment:

• Jim24
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyP View Post

I rest my case your honor……

DQL is a typical 2.4d 02b code. This is PRECISELY my point. They’re not easy to use at all, they’re a fucking waste of time. What you’re actually looking at, despite whatever the fuck it’s telling you is an 02G gearbox and here just a couple reasons I know this from a 1.37 second look at the diagram:

1, It’s an 02G
    2, The casing is totally different
    3, There’s no end cap to 5th gear
    4, It’s an 02G
    5, There’s a half shaft and not that retarded trumpet that the 02b has.
    6, The gearbox/upper mount is totally different
    7, There’s nowhere to fit your external slave cylinder as the 02G doesn’t have one
    8, It’s an 02G
    9, The gear linkage mount to the bell housing is totally different
    10, There’s an additional bellhousing to mount support bracket that only the 02G has (with the exception of the thin pathetic excuse for one that the EWB/DUJ 02b’s have that’s made from recycled McDonald’s straws.
    11, It’s an 02G

Yours isn’t high geared and if memory serves then your DUJ is doing 66mph@3000rpm in 5th. My van was built with a DUJ, good riddance. I was thrilled when it blew up. I took videos of the time that convey as much. The shortest ratio 02G is higher geared than the tallest ratio 02B.

So, I’d argue that these parts shitstorms are not easy to use and a load of counterproductive bollocks. I find them to be a pain in the arse and I know what I’m looking at so how about those with less knowledge? They’re unintentionally thinking they’re looking at the right thing and that’s often not the case.

Imagine if you’d have ordered a mount for yours from there or any other number of parts listed? They’d be wrong as non of them are shared (with the exception of the lower torque mount ironically) so you’d be on a high road to nowhere.

My honest advice: take a look at the part you need on your van then Google it and see if it looks right. I’ve not often gone wrong doing it this way. AUTODOC is also brilliant as they offer OEM numbers after a simple keyword search and selecting the item that looks right then you can Google it to see if it’s available elsewhere or use the OEM number on eBay. I only do this if I need parts quickly or my factors are struggling to find a number as AUTODOC are almost always the cheapest.

I liken these diagrams to that of a teenager mindlessly staring into their phone at TikTok for hours on end. Time wasted and nothing gained.

When I looked my PR Codes up, OZN was described as "High Geared", which I assume that option is, for an 02B?

I guess the gearbox diagram is another one of those 'one serves all' generic diagrams, this time based on the O2G? Regarding the mounts - different ones are listed etc depending on the gearbox variant, even on the same diagram, of which there are several even for 1999, so I don't really see an issue.

Incidently, the only explicit mistake on the diagrams that I've come across so far, is the wrong Part No provided for the rubber breather fitting on the 2.4D cambox lid, but I expect there could be others.

Somehow I doubt that many Factors will have personally worked on T4's, and Autodoc and the like will rely heavily on the Parts Diagrams. I recall even Si having to ask Rob to post up some Doka ones when he got into new territory, and it's all new territory for most of us? So why shouldn't I do so too?

As for Autodoc and my recent difficulties, I will only use them reluctantly in future.

The last thing I want to do is to antagonise you and Si, and you two bring more to the Forum than the rest of us combined, so as I said, I won't be posting any more up soon. HM will be delighted!

Leave a comment:

• Benf
    replied
    Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    You're being a little tough on Jim (a tough educated single 68 year old ex-Ford owning vegan Northerner with a penchant for French walnuts) but with a very very high desire to learn. He's unlike your goodself, unnaturally talented, who would nip outside between loading an XBOX game to change the clutch with one hand and without spilling a drop of Aldi's finest malt in the other. Two ends of the owner spectrum.

It's Jim's only transport other than his bus pass and a garage full of pre war single strokers (?) and doesn't have a hoard of spares or local sources sitting on T4 mountains of spares , that at the drop of a vape would sort a short circuit in your processes to infill a rebuild problem or timing issue.
    Haha.....love it

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied

The Parts Diagrams I'm currently using are easy to navigate on my laptop, now that I've got used to the layout. Quick too.

That gearbox diagram is what I thought my van is - 1999 2.4D 1200?

I believe the gearbox is coded DQL (as per the diagram), so maybe I'm wrong on this. I'll get under the van when the snow has cleared.

The only relevant PR Code provided is: OZN, which I believe means the Transmission Ratio is High Geared?
    I rest my case your honor……

DQL is a typical 2.4d 02b code. This is PRECISELY my point. They’re not easy to use at all, they’re a fucking waste of time. What you’re actually looking at, despite whatever the fuck it’s telling you is an 02G gearbox and here just a couple reasons I know this from a 1.37 second look at the diagram:

1, It’s an 02G
    2, The casing is totally different
    3, There’s no end cap to 5th gear
    4, It’s an 02G
    5, There’s a half shaft and not that retarded trumpet that the 02b has.
    6, The gearbox/upper mount is totally different
    7, There’s nowhere to fit your external slave cylinder as the 02G doesn’t have one
    8, It’s an 02G
    9, The gear linkage mount to the bell housing is totally different
    10, There’s an additional bellhousing to mount support bracket that only the 02G has (with the exception of the thin pathetic excuse for one that the EWB/DUJ 02b’s have that’s made from recycled McDonald’s straws.
    11, It’s an 02G

Yours isn’t high geared and if memory serves then your DUJ is doing 66mph@3000rpm in 5th. My van was built with a DUJ, good riddance. I was thrilled when it blew up. I took videos of the time that convey as much. The shortest ratio 02G is higher geared than the tallest ratio 02B.

So, I’d argue that these parts shitstorms are not easy to use and a load of counterproductive bollocks. I find them to be a pain in the arse and I know what I’m looking at so how about those with less knowledge? They’re unintentionally thinking they’re looking at the right thing and that’s often not the case.

Imagine if you’d have ordered a mount for yours from there or any other number of parts listed? They’d be wrong as non of them are shared (with the exception of the lower torque mount ironically) so you’d be on a high road to nowhere.

My honest advice: take a look at the part you need on your van then Google it and see if it looks right. I’ve not often gone wrong doing it this way. AUTODOC is also brilliant as they offer OEM numbers after a simple keyword search and selecting the item that looks right then you can Google it to see if it’s available elsewhere or use the OEM number on eBay. I only do this if I need parts quickly or my factors are struggling to find a number as AUTODOC are almost always the cheapest.

I liken these diagrams to that of a teenager mindlessly staring into their phone at TikTok for hours on end. Time wasted and nothing gained.

Leave a comment:

• Jim24
    replied

Rubber bush #14 is barely a rubber bush at all and the parts diagram doesn’t make it look clear at all which is worse for a newbie.

However, a quick Google of ‘vw t4 lower engine mount’ instantly brings up a plethora of links to the exact parts to choose from within seconds of starting to type and not 37 pages of scrolling up and down a shitty 7crap diagram.

By the way, did you chose that particular diagram because it’s relevant to my van specifically? Because it probably isn’t relevant to yours being a totally different gearbox.

The Parts Diagrams I'm currently using are easy to navigate on my laptop, now that I've got used to the layout. Quick too.

That gearbox diagram is what I thought my van is - 1999 2.4D 1200?

I believe the gearbox is coded DQL (as per the diagram), so maybe I'm wrong on this. I'll get under the van when the snow has cleared.

The only relevant PR Code provided is: OZN, which I believe means the Transmission Ratio is High Geared?
    Last edited by Jim24; 8 March 2023, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied

For clarity.

I wondered if it was rubber bush #14, and putting up the diagram makes it clearer, particularly for us newbies?
    Rubber bush #14 is barely a rubber bush at all and the parts diagram doesn’t make it look clear at all which is worse for a newbie.

However, a quick Google of ‘vw t4 lower engine mount’ instantly brings up a plethora of links to the exact parts to choose from within seconds of starting to type and not 37 pages of scrolling up and down a shitty 7crap diagram.

By the way, did you chose that particular diagram because it’s relevant to my van specifically? Because it probably isn’t relevant to yours being a totally different gearbox.

Leave a comment:

• Jim24
    replied
    12, why?

You and those fucking parts diagrams Jim.

For clarity.

I wondered if it was rubber bush #14, and putting up the diagram makes it clearer, particularly for us newbies?

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    Send TP your walnuts Jim, his free radicals need calming.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    12, why?

You and those fucking parts diagrams Jim.

Leave a comment:

• Jim24
    replied
    I managed to fit the new Febi lower engine/torque mount on the white wreck. The one that came off was totally torn through and no wonder the engine flapping around
    Was this the Pendulum Mount #12 itself Tommy, or the rubber bush #14 that it sits on?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	T4PendelumMount2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	180.6 KB ID:	352719

Leave a comment:

• arfur fox-acre
    replied
    Don't like standing still, do you?

Tire me out just reading about your antics.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    In the failing light after getting the 1.9 rebuilt, running and all back together and fucked off out the garage I managed to fit the new Febi lower engine/torque mount on the white wreck. The one that came off was totally torn through and no wonder the engine flapping around in the engine back like a bogey in a toddlers nostril.

Took it for a drive and it’s silky smooth again and feels as tight as a nuns ****. Excellent little job done. 2 minutes to change the mount and 20 minutes rowing with the custom (hacked to bits) undertray.

Now it’s ready to go and pickup yet another T4 if it’s comes off……. More to follow.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Mott The Hoople? Thats got be the worst thing ever to come out of The Shire.
    Got the stereo in:

PMSL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X