Product Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Whilst chatting at Shardlow T4's yesterday we bounced over a few "golden" parts. The cross member was one, I'm sure it was £650-850 he was reckoning. £850 for a full aircon system, £80 for oem electric mirrors, the "golden" list rolled on, believe me. £850 for a solid rear tailgate.

If you find it now, hoard it ..... as he was convinced VAG parts are on the rise. With the pound low, more will now go abroad.
    It's in Shardlow's interest to talk prices up, but the figures quoted are surely way over the top, and perhaps verging on fantasy? These kind of figures would surely price our vans off the road, as they would be worth much more broken up?

I do know that the imported repro' front lower cross-members are not as well made as the original VW item, but at £180 a throw last year, from Brickwerks, and even allowing for the inevitable continuing slide of the £, I cannot see there being much demand for rusty second hand ones at £650-850?

£850 for a sold tailgate - so maybe £1,000 for the more desirable Barn Doors then? Invest now HM, .

On a more positive note, such high prices would inevitably encourage the manufacture and availability of new parts, some of which at the moment may be unobtainable? This happened with NLA T2 parts in the late 1980s & '90s, and parts availability there has now been transformed.

One thing for certain - we need to keep applying the metal preservatives...

Comment

I also think those prices are pure fantasy. Bit like van prices on fleabay, what you ask and what you get are miles apart.

Comment

Thirty year ago original Jeep parts were worth a fortune. Now you can build one out of reproduction parts. More costly had a genuine complete vehicle granted but the price of old stock nosed drived under the avalanche of rubbish new parts. Similar thing with split screens.

Comment

Having said that shells like the one A79MOD has for sale could become sort after to proper restorer's, if they are so inclined and if in years to come you can still get the fuel.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220929_155922.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	347243

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220929_155922.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	347243
              Is your tan fading Si?
              Part of the camo group of colours?
              You're finally going for the ratlook?

Comment

Si. I did say that Shardlow is going the same way as cali campers. I am collecting A79mods shell on Monday for breaking. Jim I keep on mentioning that I have no desire for barn doors. Why should I have to keep on about it

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                  Si. I did say that Shardlow is going the same way as cali campers. I am collecting A79mods shell on Monday for breaking. Jim I keep on mentioning that I have no desire for barn doors. Why should I have to keep on about it
                  I do find it odd HM that you critique a business , typically , similar (?) to one you work for? You understand the recycling process, investment and are party to the infrastructure costs albeit at a distance.

Give these fellas some credit.

They have it, often when you need it having invested in its purchase, breaking, storage and resale. Just shop around - as you do - healthy competition is great as it's a very competitive field to be in.

Last edited by Activ8; 30 September 2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Activ There will be. No scene tax on the vw from A79mod van as it is one that we would not usually stock. I know the business very well and how it works

Comment

I was initially under the impression that this was your own private salvage & breaking foray HM.

So 'No Scene Tax'. Does this mean that the prices will be relatively keen?

What's on it, or is it just a shell?

Comment

No,no,no hes keeping it on his drive till i can pick it up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Jim. It is not my business. But I have been in this trade for a long time so I know how it all works.
                          Don't know. What is on the shell until it is collected

Comment

Tommy. You might need to top up your parts store the way they are going

Comment

Work-gloves

While having an MOT, I noticed the mechanics were using some orange gloves that I hadn't seen before - they are from Wurth, and they reckoned they were the best yet:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154523020...rsAAOSwaEhg5t2 H&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoHV%2BJ2IlsmV1QqpdRn6aQj% 2F KBHWpImPWb8y6gxyKschiOrPZBweAA51mgog%2BloNI4Z2NIz0 Wqu%2F1FYmyCkKNynh1tNEuWSbGbP98s0DefKwz8bSEA%2FqlQ 3LpHHJWoYpSPo%2FZFoxWQa3Znh%2F9VHAfZ6BhWvW6f9J9lij l7bPyW1g77HdegF3zS3J45XNydhTqepR2I3wbCsH8Uj3ZI3ObL b8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8j3pfb1YA

Not cheap, but neither are the black Rhino brand I've been using for some years. I'll be giving them a go as they appear to be stronger?

Anyone tried them?

Comment

Gloves? Whats this, spannering for girls. It all fairness you need to keep those hands clean when dealing with used engine oil. We trialled rubber gloves in the 90s and my mate Smudge who was always a bit grotty when it came to hand cleaning said you dont need those, whats the matter with ya? A few years later he lost a bollock to cancer,

Comment

Working...
                                X