T4 pd130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Was there a DPF in the golf exhaust and if so I assume you binned it. Did that then need deleting from the ECU?
    No DPF in the Golf , but yes would have binned it if there had been. ECU and loom I had done by Vagtronics, probably a cheaper option out there but they came recommended and made the wiring so easy.

Comment

I made my own for the 20 valve, far easier than I thought. Yours has me thinking.

Comment

I had a golf pd 130 … was excellent !! I’d love that engine in my van !!! TOMMO ! Price this up for me :-) … love you long time x

Comment

Where've ya gone Andyt was hoping to hear more on this.

Comment

Hi did the gearbox adapter ever come into existence? Trying to work out whether or not to do this conversion but still can't find a definite route to take or what's actually needed?

I have a knackered 2.4aab and a running pd130 in a almost knackered 2002 golf. Shame to go out and buy another aab!

Any onfo and help greatly appreciappreciated

Comment

What's knackered about your 2.4 AAB?
              Well serviced, theyre usually indestructable.
              Is it turbo charged?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyT View Post
                I know this an old thread but seems to be a popular question across forums so thought I would share.
                2 years ago, I fitted a PD130 with the 6 speed gearbox from a 2002 VW Golf into my 1998 t4, I can't say it
                was the easiest thing to do but far less complex than some believe it to be. The engine is standard other than EGR delete and stage one remap to the ECU,
                been running on a single mass flywheel with no issues. I fitted the engine quite low which gives a good drive shaft angle and allows the engine to sit upright,
                I have no sump or oil pickup mods everything is standard. For the drive shafts I have a standard T4 short shaft and the golf tdi long shaft using a T4 CV joint,
                the long shaft has to have a 30mm spacer at the gearbox end for correct length although I am currently having one made to remove the spacer, as the inner boot has
                split and it has to come out thought i'd change it. Gear shift is done by the golf box and cables, the box is mounted under the floor putting the stick in the
                same location but did require some floor work, the cable although I saw posts saying you can use them as is I didn't find that to be correct.
                The cables are far too long and cause stiffness in shifting if you try and find a home for excess,
                so I cut them down to I think it was 21 inches to give a straight line to the box. Top Engine mounts I made complete and lower is the T4 back end and golf
                to the gearbox, although this worked the golf part proved not up to the job and needs to be reinforced. Radiator and air con condenser from the golf, intercooler
                from a BMW 535. Van had the electronic speedo so just a case of wiring the golf plug to the existing cables, speedo seams to read a constant 5mph over actual speed
                but not something that bothered me enough to look into at the moment. Had to have one pipe made for the power steering. other than making the exhaust side exit
                and lots of small jobs like boost pipes water pipes etc that's about it.
                Been in the van for a couple of years and covered thousands of miles all over the country, it's very fast (for an old camper van) and does upset BMW drives
                when you're still pulling at 100mph, fuel economy is good not measured it but seams good enough not to check, and so far,very reliable with no issues.
                Happy to try answer any questions if someone wants to do it, tried to cover what I thought would concern most people but if I missed anything please ask
                I will do my best to answer.
                I'm sure I have some other pics of during build and obviously complete as is now if anyone wants to see them.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_171711.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	911.0 KB
ID:	348553
                Oh my. How did I miss this?

Having a few naughty T4 engine conversion thoughts at the minute as I’ve found myself with a spare Volvo T5 lump and now this cheap and clearly viable t4 PD with box…..

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Oh my. How did I miss this?

Having a few naughty T4 engine conversion thoughts at the minute as I’ve found myself with a spare Volvo T5 lump and now this cheap and clearly viable t4 PD with box…..

That's all great but still not exactly a definitive answer I just don't get after all this time why there isn't just a kit or a company that can supply the correct bits in a box so that people will have everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    What's knackered about your 2.4 AAB?
                    Well serviced, theyre usually indestructable.
                    Is it turbo charged?
                    The cam belt snapped I bought it like this for the rest of the van. And it's non turbo'd

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm79 View Post

That's all great but still not exactly a definitive answer I just don't get after all this time why there isn't just a kit or a company that can supply the correct bits in a box so that people will have everything?
                      Just not the market for it. Then your supplying second hand parts and folk expect a like new warranty. I put a AEB in my van but wouldn't want to supply the motor and parts for someone to do at home as splicing the looms isn't for the novice. You'd never make any money from it just get a tainted rep via the theory warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post

Just not the market for it. Then your supplying second hand parts and folk expect a like new warranty. I put a AEB in my van but wouldn't want to supply the motor and parts for someone to do at home as splicing the looms isn't for the novice. You'd never make any money from it just get a tainted rep via the theory warriors.
                        Supply mostly new and what couldn't be new just have to state second hand. Get the looms sent in and done in house before the rest got sent?

So has anyone got an actual list of the parts needed preferably with part numbers?

I know someone to do the loom and boost do the engine mount.

Did the gearbox adapter ever happen?

Comment

The cam belt snapped I bought it like this for the rest of the van. And it's non turbo'd
                          How extensive is the damage?
                          Its often not as catastrophic.
                          Ask Tommy he's seen a fair share and repaired.

Comment

Because it isn’t financially viable. I’ve got a couple contacts that will fit you a PD with a drive in and drive out service but they’ll utilise the dogshit 02b gearbox and that doesn’t like the low down torque a PD puts out and fails quickly.

There isn’t enough demand for a proper setup so the only ones I know of are owner pioneers that do adaptor plates and fit the golf, or equivalent, 02m 6 speed but that has its own issues as it’s waaaaaay too tall geared for a van. Speaking from actual experience of going out in one and the feedback from owners that have done it.

You only have to look at the vendors that are rolling back T4 stock and the shows that cater for almost no T4 stuff to realise this.

It’s a crying shame but we need to crack on and do this stuff for ourselves if we want it. It won’t get better, mark my words.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              How extensive is the damage?
                              Its often not as catastrophic.
                              Ask Tommy he's seen a fair share and repaired.
                              Yeah it’s salvageable like they always are but I wouldn’t bother myself it it was mine, I’d do an engine conversion in a heartbeat. Mainly a 1.9td. The mTdi isn’t for the faint hearted to be perfectly honest. It’s brilliant but takes a lot of work and tweaking to perfect and even I’m not there as I haven’t got the time.

The 1.9PD is a masterpiece in my opinion, having had my first at 18 years old and another right now, but it has its own issues and more than a 1.9td ABL or AAZ does. Keep it simple is my honest and humble advice but I’ll help anyone achieve what they desire if I can.

I know of a few that have done the adaptor plate but non that would share it freely as it’s a time consuming and costly exercise.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Because it isn’t financially viable. I’ve got a couple contacts that will fit you a PD with a drive in and drive out service but they’ll utilise the dogshit 02b gearbox and that doesn’t like the low down torque a PD puts out and fails quickly.

There isn’t enough demand for a proper setup so the only ones I know of are owner pioneers that do adaptor plates and fit the golf, or equivalent, 02m 6 speed but that has its own issues as it’s waaaaaay too tall geared for a van. Speaking from actual experience of going out in one and the feedback from owners that have done it.

You only have to look at the vendors that are rolling back T4 stock and the shows that cater for almost no T4 stuff to realise this.

It’s a crying shame but we need to crack on and do this stuff for ourselves if we want it. It won’t get better, mark my words.

Never a true word spoken. One of the best van posts in a fair time.

Comment

Working...
                                X