T4 pd130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T4 pd130

Was wondering why the pd conversion isn't really a done thing, is it's because of the custom sump/oil pickup/mount/downpipe? Does anyone know if there's a running one or close to running? I'm tempted to do it but would be nice to see one first, I'm pretty capable this isn't the best example of what I can do but the only one I can show a build thread for. https://passionford.com/forum/restor...onversion.html. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Dunno? possibly gearbox related complications for very little gain?

I've been thinking this myself recently, but then why not go common rail?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Dunno? possibly gearbox related complications for very little gain?

I've been thinking this myself recently, but then why not go common rail?
      I don't know a great deal about the common rail engines but whenever I've had a pd they are always reliable, turbos seem to be a weak link for me but that could just be how I drive, might be worth looking Into.

Comment

It's been tried but haven't seen one completed yet, many problems with it.

Comment

There’s someone on here fitting one from a Skoda .. can’t remember his name though

Comment

hell of a lot of work. Best go for a 1.8t petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              hell of a lot of work. Best go for a 1.8t petrol.
              Your right I think petrol is deffo the best option ..

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Shame, Iv'e got a 130pd golf and it's a great engine, would be good in a t4 if it would go in.

Comment

It will go in. Most of the issues are the same as fitting a 1.8t.

I don't know how the turbo clearance is, and think oil filter housing may hit the crossmember. Otherwise it's just sump, pickup, mounts, boost pipes, exhaust, wiring, etc, same as 1.8t

Comment

How would the 02b stand up to the torque tho? I’ve always heard they’re not the strongest of boxes when you start tuning the standard engines never mind the grunt of the pd motors. I’d be glad to hear otherwise tho.

Rated at 250nm of torque iirc.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                      It will go in. Most of the issues are the same as fitting a 1.8t.

I don't know how the turbo clearance is, and think oil filter housing may hit the crossmember. Otherwise it's just sump, pickup, mounts, boost pipes, exhaust, wiring, etc, same as 1.8t
                      Haven't heard of a successful transplant yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                        How would the 02b stand up to the torque tho? I’ve always heard they’re not the strongest of boxes when you start tuning the standard engines never mind the grunt of the pd motors. I’d be glad to hear otherwise tho.

Rated at 250nm of torque iirc.
                        Probably depends how you drive it. My 1.8t makes about the same torque as a stock pd130, but over a much wider rev range and I haven't had any issues with the box (it was making a nasty noise before...15k of 1.8t driving, it's still making a nasty noise).

pd130s are a bit of a deceptive engine, as standard they have a massive torque spike after they come in boost that makes them seem grunty, but then they run out of puff and it's time to change gear. Very underwhelming engine compared to an AEL.

​​​
                        Originally posted by fixedit View Post
                        Haven't heard of a successful transplant yet.
                        Because it's not worth the effort? Tuning the 2.5tdi is cheap and we'll proven?

I'm sure it's possible, but also sure that the 1.8t would be a lot more fun when it's in.

Comment

Theres a FB group T4PD gaz has running t4 with a pd lump. What i can gather its pretty much the same as a 1.8t conversion apart from the turbo needs clocking. Once ive finnished my 20v conversion my brother has a pd lump waiting to go in his van.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Cope View Post
                            Theres a FB group T4PD gaz has running t4 with a pd lump. What i can gather its pretty much the same as a 1.8t conversion apart from the turbo needs clocking. Once ive finnished my 20v conversion my brother has a pd lump waiting to go in his van.
                            Isn't there a problem with alining driveshafts as well as bulkhead clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by fixedit View Post

Isn't there a problem with alining driveshafts as well as bulkhead clearance?
                              Hammer sorts bulk head ... drive shafts are at an awkward angle , where there’s a will there’s a way

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X