Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah looks cool, cheers Arf

Comment

• That's it Arf use the back half and add a draw bar. Less complicated in my book.

Comment

• If you opt for the centrally located axle(s) layout, I imagine you want to aim for having the weight of the fitted pod as it will be on the road, balanced on the said axle(s), with a slight forward bias - just enough to stop the whole caboodle flipping backwards, but not so much that the towing hitch is overwhelmed?

There will surely be formulae somewhere for calculating the required bias?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
          That's it Arf use the back half and add a draw bar. Less complicated in my book.
          Agreed, but I believe Ben wishes to retain the front cab of the shell, so there's a longer overhang...

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            That's it Arf use the back half and add a draw bar. Less complicated in my book.
            Yes it would be the easier option for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

Agreed, but I believe Ben wishes to retain the front cab of the shell, so there's a longer overhang...
              Correct, it would still be a cool project to do but I could only then fit a bed in it for me and the wife, my plan for the whole shell included for the kids aswell unless I had a tent top on it

Comment

• What would a roof tent cost? How many problems would it fix?
                Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                  What would a roof tent cost? How many problems would it fix?
                  Just looked, they are expensive

Comment

• Ben. Could you not just use the whole shell with rear wheels only and put the A frame in from the front without the axle

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                      Ben. Could you not just use the whole shell with rear wheels only and put the A frame in from the front without the axle
                      I thought that originally but the weight it would put on the towbar would rip it off

Comment

• Reliant robin donor vehicle lol

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
                          Reliant robin donor vehicle lol

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s
                          Would be cosy

Comment

• It's clear to me now that a few things are obvious.

Firstly, everybody is in to this project and wants to help in whatever way they can to see it succeed.

Secondly, that you need to keep the cabin of the van as per your plan/dream. Do not compromise.

Thirdly, roof tents are over priced.

I get what it's like to have young children and a lack of disposable income they cause. I've been there, done that. Do it properly, how you want it but make it safe. If takes a little longer so be it.

Better that it's right than right now.
                            Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                              It's clear to me now that a few things are obvious.

Firstly, everybody is in to this project and wants to help in whatever way they can to see it succeed.

Secondly, that you need to keep the cabin of the van as per your plan/dream. Do not compromise.

Thirdly, roof tents are over priced.

I get what it's like to have young children and a lack of disposable income they cause. I've been there, done that. Do it properly, how you want it but make it safe. If takes a little longer so be it.

Better that it's right than right now.
                              Great Post 100% right Arf, thank you Sir

Comment

• Myself - I'd keep a lookout for a sturdy close coupled double-axled chassis, preferably sprung with brakes - caravan, horse-box, or trailer.

Meanwhile I'd investigate 'self-aligning' wheels, or how the standard front van wheel steering could somehow be modified, and the factory wheels used at the front, (along with the existing rear axle), initially with a view to eliminating it as being feasible? If so, you can then focus on the mid-ship's axle(s) strategy?

Your existing caravan chassis could be turned into a handy trailer cum tented sleeping platform?

Comment

Working...
                                X