The Scrap-Pod Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scrap-Pod Challenge

Just thought I would start it here as it was requested by another member to start one!

I am building a camping pod for Me, the wife and our 2 youngest kids, the plan is to use the entire shell from a lwb T4 (obviously), it won't have a cooker or sink as this is purely for a sleeping area as we will have the tent for a living area. It will have electrics, a heater and some storage of some description but the final design is yet to be confirmed as loads of ideas flying around right now, but hopefully it will have a seating area at the cab end which will convert to bunks and a half fixed bed at the back. The shell will be mounted on a converted caravan chassis so the axle will replace the vans rear wheels, the idea is that it has brakes just as the caravan did, it just means a bit of fabrication work but cant wait to get stuck in. Lots to do but stage one was today when I collected a free caravan, weirdly enough it was about 200 yards away from where I bought our T4 nearly 5 years ago! So that needs stripping back to the base first.

Will post as I go anyway, will be slow until the new year though and once I get stuck in no doubt I will need advice on things such as electrical Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_144605.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	851.1 KB
ID:	349612

I went on about using the vans rear suspension but never gave a thought to postioning the van on the caravan chassis with the chassis wheels under the van wheel arches. The caravan chassis can be shortened as required to fit.Rather than on the red one that was for sale a few years ago on here with ugly twin wheels not inline with the vans arches. Then as you said you have brakes and a LWB worth of living space.Theres not much to a caravan once the bodies gone and theres plenty of scoupe to attach it to a T4 shell once its down to the bare bones caravan chassis wise.
    Last edited by S49; 10 December 2022, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Looking at the photo Ben is the caravan part stripped out?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Looking at the photo Ben is the caravan part stripped out?
        Hi Si, it's just the base units left in the caravan so just firewood, nothing worth saving apart a bunkbed frame which I will save and see if I can be clever send use it. As you say the wheels will need moving back to fit in the arches, may need some notching out here and there for the shell to fit but will strengthen to suit as I go

Comment

And there will be far more strength in even the rustyest of T4 shells compared with the flimsey ply and fibre that is a caravan. The caravan body tells you all you need to know about fibre pigs like Robins and those awful Scimitars.

Comment

And there will be far more strength in even the rustyest of T4 shells compared with the flimsey ply and fibre that is a caravan. The caravan body tells you all you need to know about fibre pigs like Robins and those awful Scimitars.
            You know I had a scimitar didn't you Si?

Comment

We got rid of our caravan last year after 9 years of owning one but the pod will be different and bespoke plus it won't come with the issues that caravans do

Comment

Nice1 Ben. Cracking project.
                My concerns would be the weight distribution and braking but nothing that can't be overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Benf View Post

You know I had a scimitar didn't you Si?
                  No i didnt Ben. i thought i could safely get that one in as Greenie hasent been on much as late.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Nice1 Ben. Cracking project.
                    My concerns would be the weight distribution and braking but nothing that can't be overcome.
                    Hopefully the weight distribution should be OK Rob with the layout I have in mind.

As I have to move the axle back and also reduce the width of the wheels so they tuck into the archs properly there will be some work to make everything fit right but hey its all fun!

Can't wait to get started

Comment

No i didnt Ben. i thought i could safely get that one in as Greenie hasent been on much as late.
                      No I haven't seen him on here for ages

Comment

Originally posted by Benf View Post

Hopefully the weight distribution should be OK Rob with the layout I have in mind.

As I have to move the axle back and also reduce the width of the wheels so they tuck into the archs properly there will be some work to make everything fit right but hey its all fun!

Can't wait to get started
                        Can you repurpose the caravan shell at the allotment perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Can you repurpose the caravan shell at the allotment perhaps?
                          Got enough sheds and stuff up there already, that's another project I need to wrangle back into shape in the new year too Rob

Comment

When the body's off Rob it'll wobble about like a jelly. Zero strength bit like a Relient

Comment

I've offered Ben a spare pair a hands from time to time if need be, for the van mind not the allotment, thats one for Arf.

Comment

Working...
                              X