Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Went back up the sticks today to pick up a few bits I left behind for the front of the van. I’d messaged to say I was coming and asked about the engine. The old lady didn’t pass the message to her husband so could not get the engine back today. Too much stuff to move to get it out. He’s happy for me to buy it for £50 but can’t get back there again now for a few weeks. He had this in his scrap pile. Is it needed? I have no idea what it is?!

Comment

Looks like a Heater matrix or an Intercooler.

Comment

That's an intercooler.

Comment

Probably won't fit where you would want to put it. Best off with a mk 7 transit one behind front bumper. Unless you are clever like si who fiited a big iveco one. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            That's an intercooler.
            Looks like a mk4 golf side mount

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
              Looks like a mk4 golf side mount

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s
              My money is on this too.

Steve: Epic price that mate! Snap his arm off and hit him with the soggy end.

Is this the one that was fitted to it before? You’ll want the T4 4 pot sump, oil pickup and engine mount so grab them if they’re on it or he has them still. All available used but you may have a bit of a search for the sump or a wrecked ABL/1x for them and the costs can start adding up but if they’re there then great!

#vanlife

Comment

Oh and the dipstick on the back from the T4 motor.

#vanlife

Comment

Just looked back at the first post and you’ve got a 1.9d in it so you’ll have everything you need. The photo of the engine shows the T4 engine mount and sump too by the looks of it so you’re absolutely laughing mate!

Really looking forward to reading about and seeing more progress as it comes.

#vanlife

Comment

I was about to say i have a spare abl sump and oil pick up but looks like you've come up roses.

Comment

Evening gents. I think it’s all there but will know more in a few weeks. Fingers crossed anyway as I’m skint now after the summer! Thank you in advance for your help and advice

Comment

Non engine update sorry! (Apart from the ECU pic - just wanted to check if that would be for an AHU engine?) Started to srtip out the interior of the caravelle in preparation for the camper conversion. Also treated some rust on the two front outriggers. One had rust around one of the drain plugs so that is getting cut out. What should I be doing with the outriggers as preventative maintenence? Do I spray waxoil in the holes? I'm dead chuffed with the condition of the metalwork considering its a 30 year old van! As you can see I have removed some paint on the cargo floor with my poly strip wheels and have since soaked in rust treatment. Do I now red oxide and hammerite or is that overkill? Will do the same with outriggers when I've finished the small welding patch. Cheers all
                        Attached Files

Comment

Front outrigger maintenance ...see my journey:

https://just-t4s.co.uk/forum/technic...er-coming-from

Comment

There are small factory weep holes on the bottom inner corner of the outriggers, at their lowest points, which require regular poking clear of accumulated debris. Better still, prevent the water getting in there (and into your sills, etc, etc) in the first place, by fitting scuttle tray drainage, FTW.

Some might be tempted to describe such a modification as an 'update' for your van? Is this the sort of thing you meant HM?

Comment

Hi Jim. I'll have a good read of your experiences so thank you for sharing. I have seen people fit the drainage kits and if my front wings were not welded on I would be getting them off, giving everything a good clean and fit a drain kit of some sort. I've got some rust behind the wings so will have to chop out at some stage but just want to get the van back on the road first. I will give my outriggers a good poke though so thank you for the info

Comment

I'm of the opposite veiw to Jim. Having rebuilt the front ends of two T4s i know there are so many gaps for water to run down the drainage tube dont make an apath of difference, If anything they will restrict the moisture coming out. A good cavity wax (not waxoil) and regular clean outs is what will stop the tin worm taking hold.For example where the scuttle meets the wings you could drive a bus down the gap.And if you could seal that off it would find other ways of getting down. Theres just no way you can get all the water run off from the windscreen to go down a drain tube fitted to those holes on the scuttle. When i fit wings i dont bond them to the arch like factory, my thinking it allows the water out easier and its a doddle to remove the wings(bolted type) for maintance. Sorry Jim, we dont disagree on much mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X