T4 Take 2....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveT4Pembs View Post
    Help! I’ve managed to start the 1x engine but it’s running flat out. No accelerator cable attached yet so is there something wrong with the pump? No exhaust attached yet either so it sounds like a beast ha ha but I know it will be a snail. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Which pump have you used? Was the pump stored dry for a time? Have you touched the max fuel screw?

#vanlife

Comment

• If you want to sort it more quickly than anyone will reply then I’ll send you my phone number in private message on here.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Which pump have you used? Was the pump stored dry for a time? Have you touched the max fuel screw?

Not touched anything on there. I did see a bit of diesel come out the top near the spring. It’s the injector pump that was already on the engine.

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• It reads like the start stop valve is seized. Clamp the fuel "in" line.

Comment

• The throttle lever is in the wrong position so it’s holding the revs up. There’s a way to reindex it properly but for now you just want to knock it back a few slots until it idles and revs okay. It’s far too much of a faff to try and fully explain it. I’ve got a guide in a word file I can WhatsApp over for future reference if you want. It’s a Reg Cheeseman guide and it’s the dogs bollocks.

For what you need for now:

Take the spring off the lever, then after the spring has fired round like the shot out of a gun, remove it from being deeply embedded in your finger, note never to let this happen again. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, you’ll notice a slot/line in the top of the shaft. Typically a properly indexed throttle shaft would have this roughly in line with the pump body in the full throttle position. If you drew a line from the pulley/pump nose back to the injector lines coming out the back this is what I mean in line with the pump body. Adjust it back/clockwise then nip the 10mm back up and then put the spring back on and try it. Use a small hooked tool or something similar to hook the spring on and off and for fucks sake keep you’re fingers away from it. To be clear the spindle wants to moved clockwise.

You also have a throttle shaft leak, very common. It wants a new o ring in it and possibly a new brass bush. The new bushes aren’t brass but the old one will be. If it’s just short term to move the van around I wouldn’t bother touching it.

#vanlife

Comment

• Well done tommyp

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Hmmm, I’m not so sure now. Well
                  Talk tomorrow as I don’t know as it is that.

#vanlife

Comment

• So had some advice from Tommy P over the phone as well as loads of photos and he’s basically saved me from throwing the towel in on this van! He encouraged me to open up the top of the pump and I managed to free it up. The van is now running normally ish instead of flat out so I’m dead chuffed! Can’t thank Tommy P enough. He’s gone way above what I would have expected from anyone! Next jobs now are to sort out the hydraulic line for the clutch and pop on drive shafts so I can move it. Also need to put the exhaust back on so I don’t have a cab full of smoke! Lots to learn but feel I’m making progress again now. Thanks again Tommy P

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Working hands there! Well done mate.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• You’ve got this bud. Well done that man

#vanlife

Comment

• They still smell of diesel ha ha