No announcement yet.

T4 Take 2....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small update. My welder won't reach the tailgate where the van is parked at the moment so want to get it running to move about 10 foot and then put back when I'm done. Slowly connecting everything back to the engine but got stuck on the gear selector linkage. The smaller ball was damaged on the selector so I've ordered a cheap set to try. I found a link to a guide on here but that involves taking the whole rod off from under the van. I'm going to try and connect the new bushes in the engine bay by heating them up in boiling water. Is that doeable? I've got a bit of access there with no front panel and the starter can be taken off quickly. Regarding starting I've got the van turning over but not with the keys. I've put a voltmeter on the spade connector that connects to the top of the starter and I'm getting power there on turning the key but I can only get the engine to turn over with a screwdriver crossing the connection. Is the starter toast? I only noticed on the weekend that there was an earthing point by the starter! Was not connected before only the earth by the gearbox! Every day is a school day ha ha!

Comment

• If you do it in the engine bay one piece of advise I would give is to start a swear jar.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Actually checked again and it’s not 12v at the spade on the starter so back to the wiring inside! Just showing low voltage at the spade. Glow plug relay clicking and fuel pump clicking so can’t be far off…

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Fuel pump on a diesel? I don't have on?

Comment

• Put 12v from battery on spate connector starter, if working check ignition switch

Comment

• probably something to do with this? My key looks like a spare and would not have an immobiliser chip. Need to try and figure out how to remove or bypass the immobiliser box. Found it right up in the dash.

Comment

• Your getting there Steve. Itll be a proud moment once you fire it up. I dunno what the immobiliser looks like. Could you circle it?

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• It’ll be a miracle Neil ha ha! The black ring around the ignition connects to it. I’ll get a photo later on. I’ve got a relay click when the key turns to the on position so must be something really simple. I’ll try 12 direct to the spade on the starter later too. Might just have to start it that way for now once I’ve got the bits connected up to the engine. I’m missing a section of pipe for the clutch between the bleed valve and the flexi pipe to the slave cylinder. Will need to go down the farm again for one of them so will be a few weeks again

Comment

• It is wired into this plug and then goes up behind the stereo that area. I’ll keep googling

Comment

• Just jumped the two red wires and it turned over so must be the ignition switch? I'll order a new one now and strip one from the donor van for a spare.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Well done mate. See i told you you'd get it running

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Few more jobs ticked off today. Changed the ignition switch and reconnected the gearbox bushes. The bushes were a bit tricky and a swear jar was filled up! Not much room there so removed the starter and pushed the metal coolant pipe to one side. I warmed up the bracket socket type bush in hot water and when I pressed it in using my vice it went pear shaped. Luckily I had another bracket with a bush which seemed ok so used that. The smaller bush needed adapting as I’ve got a split pin. Drilled a 3mm hole right through it from top to bottom and also widened the hole to 10mm. Spent ages trying to press it in square on with no luck. In the end I removed the bracket and socket bush and squashed it in at a 45 degree angle with a clamp and it popped in relatively easily. Used a bit of washing up liquid as lube. Removed the tdi airbox and had a cleanup there. The inner wing was plastered in a white grease? Is that standard or added by a previous owner? Ignition switch was dead easy as the awkward retaining screen was loose so did that by hand with a bit. Engine turns over every time now with the key. Need a jump start or a new battery I think though for it to fire and run. Started to put coolant pipes back after rinsing out the rusty residue? Think I’m missing a few pipes so will see what I can get from the aab down the farm. Also not sure if pipework is different on the caravelle due to the second heater in the back? This engine was in a standard van not caravelle. The rubber one going up from the metal pipe to the heater control is too short. Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any pointers. Cheers all

Comment

• Thanks for the update buddy. It’s good to see it coming along.

Those bushes can be a right bitch and it’s usually the cheap ones as they seem to be made of marzipan. That particular bush on the gearbox bracket needs to be a decent quality one anyway as the cheap ones can fall out after a short time leaving you with only 3rd and 4th gear. Been there and done that.

#vanlife

Comment

• Cheers Tommy. I’ll get a bush pressed into the spare bracket and keep it as a spare when needed. I never learn you buy cheap and you buy twice!

Comment

• Help! I’ve managed to start the 1x engine but it’s running flat out. No accelerator cable attached yet so is there something wrong with the pump? No exhaust attached yet either so it sounds like a beast ha ha but I know it will be a snail. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X