Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi my name is Sennen! Nice to meet you all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahaha. Nicely done. But yeah if you want me to have a go, send me a PM.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Just T4s

Comment

Good morning everyone! I hope you all had fantastic weekends and are itching to help a brother out.

Two things:

1. Vacuum pump tapping - I’ve changed the tappet and seal and it’s still making the ticking noise. What’s the next step?

2. Knocking from the front near side hub area. It’s most noticeable in first or second when putting foot on or off the accelerator (ie dramatic change in acceleration). I’ve changed the upper and lower ball joints, track rods and tie rod ends and I’ve just changed the lower engine/gear box mount (apart from I didn’t change the cylinder bush thing that fits in the underside of the gearbox as it didn’t seem to want to come out in the time I had!). I’m wondering if it’s either the drive shaft or one of the other engine mounts but I haven’t got a good way of checking either. I’ve tried to get a bar in there but there’s not a lot of space. Have you got any good ways of checking drive shafts or the engine mounts on the 2.5TDI ACV?

Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by Jezz85; 16 October 2023, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezz85 View Post
        I’ve changed the tappet and seal and it’s still making the ticking noise. What’s the next step?
        So Bruv, when you say you've replaced the 'seal' do you mean the VP's internal seals, or the pump's external O ring gasket?

If you mean the former, then replace the entire pump body. There's genuine OEM Pierburg (cheapest at Autodoc), and Turkish or Chinese to pick from on eBay.

If the latter, rebuild your pump with a seal kit or purchase a new VP

If carrying out a rebuild, be careful as the one way valves tend to fall out when parting the body, and obviously they need putting back the correct way round.

I ended up fitting a new Turkish pump:
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165428386....c101506.m1851

Comment

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

So Bruv, when you say you've replaced the 'seal' do you mean the VP's internal seals, or the pump's external O ring gasket?

If you mean the former, then replace the entire pump body. There's genuine OEM Pierburg (cheapest at Autodoc), and Turkish or Chinese to pick from on eBay.

If the latter, rebuild your pump with a seal kit or purchase a new VP

If carrying out a rebuild, be careful as the one way valves tend to fall out when parting the body, and obviously they need putting back the correct way round.

I ended up fitting a new Turkish pump:
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165428386....c101506.m1851
          It was the latter… how’s your Turkish one working out?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

1, Fit a new cheap pump off ebay. Jim’s link is spot on.

2, Poss CV or steering arm bush but you should be able to Jack it up and yank the wheel from side to side as if you’re trying to manually steer with your hands. Try different types of yanking it (Arf swears by this) fast, sharp, slow etc.

In terms of engine movement I find a drive helps to see if the engine is moving in the first place. When jabbing at the throttle, hold the gearstick and see if it moves much. They should barely move at all. If you feel it kicking through the shifter then it’s engine movement.

The lower steady/torque mount often sorts out engine movement in most cases but I’ve recently had similar with Dog71’s and that ended up also needing the bush in the gearbox casting as it also had play but wasn’t initially evident as the rear moves so much.

What I do to test that torque mount and oil filled engine mounts is to get a highly reluctant missus to jump in the van and jab at the clutch with the van in first gear, the handbrake up and foot on the brake whilst I nose around searching for the play. As I have a healthy income and look after my other half, he doesn’t have a good reason to mow me down but if you ever hear of my demise under a van and the missus buys a place in Spain shortly after, alert the authorities to this post so they can open an investigation.

There’s no doubt other ways of testing but this is the method I use and I’m not advising anyone else that’s what they should do, just in case someone gets ran over that’s reading this.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jezz85 View Post

It was the latter… how’s your Turkish one working out?

So far so good. Only time will really tell whether it's a case of "buying cheap - buy twice", but lots of Pilgrims seem to have fitted them?

It was encouraging to see that the manufacturers had stamped the body with their marque, rather than choosing to remain anonymous. But how they make them for that price if you include the distributor's mark-up, I don't know?

As a matter of policy I generally stick to OEM parts when available, but those Pierburgs are ridiculously pricy?

Febi are available but only a little bit cheaper, and I suspect that they buy them in too, rather than tool up to make their own version?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295576119...pid=1615705645

Last edited by Jim24; 16 October 2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Try different types of yanking it (Arf swears by this) fast, sharp, slow etc. *

# and the missus buys a place in Spain

* Only one letter out, but ok.

# what if the missus already has two places in Spain? What do I do then?????

Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Looking at the leaflet on this ad - it confirms that SWAG are in with Febi, so worth considering in the future when shopping, and commonly pop-up on Autodoc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

So far so good. Only time will really tell whether it's a case of "buying cheap - buy twice", but lots of Pilgrims seem to have fitted them?

It was encouraging to see that the manufacturers had stamped the body with their marque, rather than choosing to remain anonymous. But how they make them for that price if you include the distributor's mark-up, I don't know?

As a matter of policy I generally stick to OEM parts when available, but those Pierburgs are ridiculously pricy?

Febi are available but only a little bit cheaper, and I suspect that they buy them in too, rather than tool up to make their own version?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295576119...pid=1615705645
                    Yeah man, £160+ blew my mind too! I found a Febi one for £98 so have gone with that. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks bud!

Comment

Sennen? Love Sennen.....

24 years ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	rooby@sennen.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	359806

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornwall camping 2015 Sennen.jpg