No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a inlet fanimold for my project motor, AHY looks like a option....unless you've a redundant 2,4 one going spare

Comment

Can’t believe I missed this thread Tommy.

Now subscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Need a inlet fanimold for my project motor, AHY looks like a option....unless you've a redundant 2,4 one going spare
        I’ve got my grubby little mitts on a spare 2.4 fanimold. I’ll send it to you with all the other stuff. Gonna be a stiff courier bill haha

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

I’ve got my grubby little mitts on a spare 2.4 fanimold. I’ll send it to you with all the other stuff. Gonna be a stiff courier bill haha

Sent from a muppet

Interparcel.com - Hermeswill take up to 20kg for about £8

Comment

Epic, I’ll possibly send them separately as it’ll be over 20kg altogether.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              Epic, I’ll possibly send them separately as it’ll be over 20kg altogether.

Sent from a muppet
              Nah, it wont, pumps are 7kg, fanimold probably 3, then you lie about any excess.

Comment

Right so I got a few hours spare to piss about with the engine and tweak things.

I cleaned the block face up and stuck on my spare 3 hole gasket:

I got the Darkside shortened ARL bolts and washers but I didn’t get sent the leaflet on tightening so I just did the first 2 stages of normal tighening with the lad:

Then I offered up the AXG/AHY fanimoulds:

I played about with the turbo so it should sit just about in line when mounted in the van with the engine leaning forwards. The vertical line will be a bit more like 1oclock for the oil feed and 7oclock for the return. Should be okay.

The compressor housing sits very close to the exhaust manifold but I’ll stick some exhaust tape round the manifold and possibly see about trying to get a heat shield between them:

I have a strange feeling that I may get away with my existing oil feed and return. I had to have mine feed customised as it didn’t fit when I did the turbo conversion on the 2.4 so it’s now got a flexi section in it anyway. I may be lucky with this.

Quite pleased with how it is starting to take shape. Just got to faff with the turbo a bit more as the core moves a bit in the turbine housing but I reckon it’s nothing a smudge of exhaust paste can’t sort. Lol

I now need a few sundries and gaskets etc to get me going a bit further. I’m kind of aiming to get this engine swapped in about 3 weeks if possible.

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

Does anyone know if I’m missing 4 of these little dowels for the injector clamps?:

I believe the extra height is above the clamping points on the injector bodies and also the hollows in the head are fairly clean so that leads me to believe I’m short of 4.

I’m also thinking of running the 2.4 style injection pump belt setup as this will be a manual IP like the 2.4 so I reckon I don’t need the idler/guide pulley and the tensioner pulley. Anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

Oh and is it possible I have a Volvo engine on my hands:

It has D5252T in the block casting but then AUF punched into it too? Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• D5252T sounds like the way Volvo did their engine numbers. When I did the D24TIC course in the early 90's Peter Rigby the tutor said don't deny its a Vdub lump its stamped all over it. D...diesel. 24 the CC TIC Turbo Intercooler.I could quote the petrol Volvo engine codes up to 1997 all day. I'll get me coat.

Comment

• At a guess D for diesel. 5 number of cylinders. 25 CC. 2 who knows...valves per cylinder. T wild guess Turbo.

Comment

• Yeah it’s definitely a Volvo engine no. It’s when they used the VW engine but uprated it a bit. Manifolds are different, turbo, fuel pump all beefier to get the 140bhp. Some have said online that the bottom end is better and oil improved oil feed. Where it’s true or not I don’t know. Either way makes no odds to me, just interesting.

D=diesel fuel
                          5=Number of cylinders
                          25= 2.5 litre displacement
                          2= Valves per cylinder
                          T= Turbochanged

Not sure why it’s on my block tho. A VW code on a Volvo yeah but not a Volvo one on a VW surely? Unless it’s a Volvo lump.

They went into V70/S70, 850 and early S80’s.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• VW engine I'd have thought, as it's stamped AUF. ...

Comment

• Ordered all the gaskets I think I need, sump and full bottom end inc both ends of crank, head set and a shit load of assorted stainless nuts and Allen/hex head bolts as I’m running low on some.

Got loads of other bits and bobs to order too, new harmonic damper and maybe a new tensioner as something on mine squeaks when it drops back down to idle.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• The old man had a spare EGT gauge which is the same as mine so I’ll be able to get the union and sensor into the AXG fanimould in advance.

I’m still pissing around about ordering the injector nozzles. I really need to get something sorted as the 2.4td is still using water and it’s not got an external leak.....

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X