My entry to van life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another very minor update.

after the brake light issue I decided not needed to get access to both light clusters. Unfortunately the near side cluster was blocked by the rear rock and roll trim. Fair enough, will take the trim off, move it 6 inches across. 6 inches of movement meant the frame of the bed was blocking the access panel so I could only move it 4 inches, the remaining 2 inches had to be cut off the end of the panel.

Turns out there was also no hole cut in the carpet to allow access to the cluster. Stanley knife and a pair of small scissors did the job with minor fuss. It’s not perfect but it’s now functional.
    C84FBE5C-0592-4C95-8350-D53FCDADC1EF.jpeg

while I had the clusters open I fitted some new led reverse lamps which should make it a lot easier to judge where the back of the van is when reversing at night!

617ABEBA-E555-4940-A0DA-F483357889D4.jpeg
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good there!

That's the fun of T4Life - you fix something, then something else breaks...

You'll soon know your way around your van, you won't need green flag to come out and fix it. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Thanks, just ordered a pair of interior light covers from heritage part centre.

anyone able to recommend a non spray glue for neatening up the loose carpet edges?

Comment

At least you can change bulbs now

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

At least you can change bulbs now

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Andburg View Post
              Thanks, just ordered a pair of interior light covers from heritage part centre.

anyone able to recommend a non spray glue for neatening up the loose carpet edges?
              try double sided tape or if you know a floor layer, contact adhesive

Comment

Will do thanks!

you can’t see in the pictures but my ply lining has no cutouts for the covers. I will either have to cut the ply and carpet...not a prayer! Or I will have to put about 3 inches from the covers and find a way of securing them.

Comment

Damn duplicate

Comment

been away a while, thought I'd pop back and update:

MOT scraped through but parked van until my friendly mechanic could sort it out

Front disks and pads
                    Inner track rods, and outer ends
                    osf ball joint
                    4 new tyres
                    full alignment

Parking entirely justified as one of the pads disintegrated on removal, glad that didnt happen on the Welsh hills.

In other costs

overheat sensor failed in the diesel heater, ebay fixed
                    lock cylinder in the sliding door failed, new lock and pin setting by Brickwerx who are local enough for me to collect rather than mail away my spare key.

This year looks like the year I'll need to get the inner and outer sills done so looking to price them up now.
                    Also need a replacement aerial as somebody seems to have snapped mine off to steal my wife's disney aerial topper

Comment

Steal your "wifes" Disney ariel topper. Mmmmm

Still, thanks for the update, good mews on the mot.
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Another minor update

I removed the cabin step covers to clean and found a hole where metal should have been on the driver's side. Another previous owner bodge. The hole had been covered inside the wheel arch and was invisible as it has been undersealed over. Took the van straight down to a local bodyshop for a good poke over and its booked in for a 3 week rejuvenation treatment, replacement sills, steps and rear arches plus a good poke over. He reckons the bodge was over 3 years old so predates the last owner too.

An expensive job but at least its one i was looking to have done anyway

Glow plugs seem to have given up the ghost with the cold snap, so got 4 plugs and a 8/12mm long reach ratcheting spanner to attempt the swine of a job myself this weekend.
                        Not ordered an aerial yet as most of the time we're listening to amazon music anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X