T4 Quad Headlight Project .......... latest update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Welcome to part 2 of what is a very long project update ...........................

Continuing on from the modifications in order to improve not only my vacuum forming plugs ( which will result in better parts being produced ), but also my workflow, is taking a considerable amount of time but that can't be helped I'm afraid guys.

As you may of seen from some of my previous vacuum forming results, some things weren't quite working out for me.
    The nature of this material ( 3mm ABS ) is amazingly strong, and when heated and cooled it becomes almost as strong as steel .......... I kid you not ! You could say that my plug ( or mould ) as a very bad design, but that's the shape that I need. If the parts required were designed as a one piece unit mounting directly to the van, then I think I would go a different way, but these parts are designed to fit in an already existing part ................. being the original VW headlight mounts. So I have no option than to make these fit that mount. Which means having a flat base with no draft angle on it at all, that's a big no no when it comes to vacuum forming parts, usually these sorts of parts have to be injection moulded ............... a very very expensive procedure, not to mention the machine you need to manufacture them. The flat wall on the 'footing' is causing me a major problem. I just have to find an alternative way of making my parts.

My first tests had me trying this out ................. it was working as I was getting very good definition on my parts but I just couldn't release the part from my plug. So I thought why not spread the base out a bit ( like a wedge ), and add some vent holes in the top of the plug ? this I thought would help to release the part after it's been vacuum formed >>

This part took me almost 2 hours to remove from my plug, as you can see in the picture it's coming out a bit at a time, it's very frustrating not to be able to wedge a screw driver in the gap ( first of all, there is no gap ! ) but if there were, you would be temped to prise it out with something ! But then you would end up breaking your mould at it times like this that you begin to realise how tough this material is >>

Here's what I came up with ................. and the other reason why I had to make a router table. First thing you have to do is to make a base ( 10mm MDF ) that should be enough to raise the plug, not too much as the higher you raise your plug the more stretching you will get on your finished part. Which results in thin plastic at the top of your part and therefore you lose all the structural integrity of your part. So there's another compromise >>

It stands to reason that if you need a 45° angle ( wedge ) on your base, and that you are using 10mm MDF that your base has to be 10mm bigger than the foot of you plug I: I did mine a little larger just in case ! >>

Then I had to make a router 'template' as I didn't want the router bit anywhere near my resin plug ! I swear I was having a blonde day that day, I just couldn't work it out ! The first 'template' I made was bigger than my base !!! :* Then it dawned on me that I have to work upside down ....... router template ontop and base ( work piece ) underneath ! I:

I was making life very difficult for myself, as previously I had drilled the holes in my plugs to allow for the brass inserts ........ now I had to find and align all 10 of those holes ! And MDF isn't transparent ! >>

In this shot you can just see the 45° router bit mounted in the router table, worked out OK in the end >>

Yeah, loads of faffing about, but it's all for a good cause >>

When you screw everything together, as I'm using counter sunk M5 machine screws, you simply insert some washes inbetween the 'new' 45° base and the plug, which creates the vacuum holes ( or gap if you prefer ) >>

Now for the vent holes in the top of the vacuum forming plug. I'd previously marked out where I thought the vent holes would be. But I thought I had better double check. As I'm adding vent holes to aid the vacuum forming process, I may as well use the points where the headlight units will be mounted on the final part ........ seems logical ! As a small hole will leave a slight mark in the plastic >>

For this to go right I had to use the only prototype that I know works correctly. A few months ago I had these installed on my van, all four headlight units lined-up correctly, so those are the measurements I have to use. But, ( there's always a 'but' isn't there ) now that my modified resin tooling plug is 2mm bigger all the way round, my previous prototype headlight bracket doesn't fit over the top of my plug ! >>

There was only one thing for it ......................... I had to cut down my existing prototype brackets with my 'trimming jig' and yet to be approved circular slitting saw I set about cutting some plastic. Actually, not a bad exercise this as I can test how effective a normal wood saw cuts plastic ( see Gaz ! ) as opposed to a router bit or milling bit. There's also another benefit to this, as I end up with a top section ( that I need right now ) but the correct profile for cuts in the base that I'll need later >>

At this point it's interesting to point out the thickness of the surrounding base of the formed ABS plastic. As you vacuum form plastics the thickest section of the plastic will be ontop, on a male mould ............... and gradually it will thin toward the bottom as it's getting stretched. Notice how thick that is, and that's a section of the base ! virtually no thickness lost from the initial 3mm ABS I began with, that's an excellent result T: >>

Just as well I didn't drill those holes ! I was 7mm out !

Time for a little precision work ...................... >>

Get this wrong and you'll end up with headlight units that don't sit level, best way I have found for finding the centre of a circle is a draftman' 'thingymijig' ! ......... can't remember the correct term for it right now, but this one' got cross hairs on it as well. And with a 0.5mm drill bit you can be as accurate as possible >>

My other present to one' self is this very handy desk lamp with a x5 magnifying glass on it ................ great for those precise moments
    Kind of reminds me of my days I spent as a watch maker >>

And here's the result of all that preparation and hard work .................. one perfectly vacuum formed ABS headlight part T:
    And I was able to release the part simply by lowering the platten >>

Now for a little bit of quality control ..................... there really isn't anything to complain about, I mean, the definition is superb, the edges are nice and crisp without being too sharp ( as a sharp edge usually results in a weak section ) all in all I'm quite pleased with that H: time for a pat on the back I think ! >>

And a few more shots for your enjoyment ................... or should I say mine ! I: >>

See how that 'splayed-out' plastic footing has worked, and the indent for the fourth mounting bolt >>

So that's basically how I will be making these headlight brackets, the entire process in a nut shell. Next up, preparing the vacuum formed part for profiling and fitting into the rest of the assembly.

Hope you enjoyed the update and that I didn't bore you all too much ( or put some of you to sleep ) ................. but there's loads more yet ! LOL:

TURK
    Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
    And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
    The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

• Looking great! Thanks Turk

Comment

• Turk you are a true engineer!!!
        Love them!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the update

Another update coming up very soon ..................... may as well show exactly where we're up to and what I'm stuck on now !

TURK
          Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
          And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
          The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

• Great work Turk.
            The engineering skill you have got and put into making these is superb.

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by ma.williams View Post
              Great work Turk.
              The engineering skill you have got and put into making these is superb.

Tony

Cheers mate, very much appreciated

TURK

Comment

• Hi folks,

Welcome back to yet another project update ..................... I'm having so much fun here you wouldn't believe !

Then you move onto your next 'jig' ............. 'jig', just a fancy word that describes a few bits of wood assembled in such as way that it holds something in place basically ! Cabinet makers use them all the time, how do you think they manage to make all those intricate joins perfectly everytime ? simple jigs my friends >>

A close-up of the all important forth securing bolt ........ only just though ! If I would of missed that by a mere 3 or 4mm I would of had to re-design my tooling plug, that's how close that was >>

And viewed from the inside of the part, lots of strength and rigidity now on which to install the Hella headlight unts. You'll notice from this image that I'm still using Nylon nut and bolts to assemble things, I think I will continue using these as A). they're readily available ( should anybody need to replace one )
                B). contraction and expansion, plastics ( in fact, all materials ) will expand and contract under varying temperatures. As an example, if you bolt two plastic sheets together using steel screws, the plastic hole where the screw is will in time crack ! If however you use a plastic bolt to secure a plastic sheet, in theory they should contract and expand at the same rate ........ that's my theory anyway >>

So how do you find the perfect centre of a 10mm hole ? ....... Here's what I do - I have an old valve adaptor that is exactly 10mm,
                with a 4mm thread on the inside. I then use a 4mm Brad-point drill bit and make a mark on the plastic ...... simples ! >>

Works a treat ! >>

Did I happen to mention how critical it is to get these metal mounting frames dead level ? I think it's safe to say that if I'm off camber by a few millimetres on these frames that the projected light source will be slightly off of where it aught to be at 150 meters away. So your headlight adjustment which should show a 15° kick up to the left hand side of the road, would be out, with no chance of being able to adjust it >>

Every day my workshop ( atelier as I like to call it ), looks more and more like a headlight assembly factory >>

Now for the complicated bit, profiling the base ( or footing if you prefer ), so it's back to my trimming jig again >>

And here's why it's important to get the profile correct. As I had to cut my previous prototype headlight brackets in two, I can use that section to show the importance of the profile, as seen from the inside. You can see on this one that there's gaps, that's why I had to make my 'new' tooling plugs 2mm bigger, to get a better fit ......... I'm looking for a snap fit here >>

Every corner of the VW OE headlight retainer has a different shape and depth, it's obviously very important to get them right to get a good fix when the whole assembly is assembled. When these parts will be bonded together, they should be stronger than a strong thing ! >>

In the final stage of the parts assembly I will be bonding the headlight mounting bracket to the OE headlight retainer, so last year I bought this gluegun ....... it's a Professional TEC805-15.

Temperature range 195°C to 300°C at 250Watts. I went with an extended spreader nozzle for easy application, it takes a variety of 15mm TecBond adhesives. So in the coming weeks I will be testing various adhesives, as I bought an assortment.

TecBond 246 - ( ABS ) 'Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene' bonds to ( ABS ) 'Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene'
                TecBond 261 - ( PETG ) 'Polyethylene terephthalate glycol' bonds to ( PP-GF3 ) 'polypropylene' ( Glass Fibre reinforced Polypropylene is basically what the headlight retainers are made form )
                TecBond 267 - ( ABS ) 'Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene' bonds to ( Acrylic ) 'Polymethyl methacrylate'

I chose those adhesives to test first as those are the materials I'm most likely to use in the assembly of the headlights. Not only do I have to test the effectiveness of the adhesives, but the 'Open Times' of various adhesives, that is to say, how long does a particular adhesive remain tacky before it begins to cure ........ you wouldn't want the adhesive to start to cure before you've had the time to go all the way round your part, as an example ! >>

Once both parts are complete you can simply check them against one another >>

And when installed into the OE headlight retainer, they should be firm enough that by holding the assembly upside down, they don't fall out. It so happens I ended up with that very satisfying 'snap' sound when I pushed the bracket into the retainer >>

And now I have two, a NearSide and an OffSide ............... but I'm kinda stuck on the next bit ! The eagle-eyed amongst you would of noticed that there are no holes for the headlights !

This is what I am currently stuck on. Finding an effective way of cutting out that 92mm hole in the centres of the headlight bracket.
                I'm pretty sure I have found the solution ( after trying other methods ) but it will involve setting up a lot of stuff up. And that's why you work on a 'workflow' ....... what to do next and how to do it >>

The most effective way I found so far is to literally saw the circle out. But a scrollsaw' primary function is to cut flat sheets of wood.
                So I have a problem, as my part is way too high to fit in the scrollsaw >>

I've already modified this scrollsaw from it's intended use, and I'm pretty sure that I can tweak things around and increase it's cutting depth >>

So until next time folks .................. and hopefully we'll see a completed headlight assembly.

Then the fun stuff starts !

TURK
                Last edited by TURK; 30 September 2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Amazing amount of work your putting in there Turk.

Comment

• Yeah, it is an awful lot of work S49, but designing any product from scratch is a lot of work a lot of time, not to mention a fair bit of money also ! As long as the project has been running, I've never questioned why I'm putting myself through this ......... I guess as soon as that thought jumps into my head, it'll be time to do something else. But I'm having so much fun that it's hardly going to happen !

TURK

Comment

• Attention to detail not even vw would appreciate!!!
                      (Could say somthing about French cars but....)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by TURK View Post
                        Cheers mate, very much appreciated

TURK
                        I've been doing machining, fabrication and development work since I left school (28 years ago) and I don't think I would take on a project like this.
                        Seriously do appreciate and admire the work and knowledge you have put into these Turk.

Tony

Comment

• I understand perfectly what you're saying Tony, being as you're a machinist / fabricator, you more than most would understand the challenge that I've taken on. I'm quite surprised that you say that you personally wouldn't of taken on a project such as this, that's part of all the fun ......... to challenge one's self to see if you can do it ! Actually, even before I began this project I kind of suspected that I would be able to do it.

Call it bravado or anything else you wish, but I do have great faith in my ability. I used to repair Rolex watches many years ago, service engineer for a line of photocopiers and repaired computers and computer peripherals for many years after that.

So you see .................... making a set of headlights is basically child's play for me !

All my research these last few years have been concerning the legalities behind headlights, and learning the materials.

Not much to it actually !

TURK

Comment

• I've come up with a solution to your problem Turk of cutting out the holes for the headlights.
                            So simple really, i can't believe you didn't work this out yourself!
                            Your welcome 😁😁

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

• T4 Quad Headlight Project .......... latest update

Looking good Turk - coming on strong! Been following progress for some time, previously on “the other forum”.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              Last edited by Sirfbum; 1 October 2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Looking AMAZING my good man!!!!

The nights are starting to draw in....
                                BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
                                Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Comment

Working...
                                X