What Gearbox VR6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Gearbox VR6?

So anyone have any idea if theres manual box that will fit a VR6 and as importantly fit a T4?

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    So anyone have any idea if theres manual box that will fit a VR6 and as importantly fit a T4?
    02m from Mollys mk4. I think that’ll be close as the angle of the engine is different being a shallow angle V6 so they don’t lean back as much as the other mk4 gearboxes. That might not be too bad. Then again, the engine might need to lean further forward in a van but it’s worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

I'd been pondering that Tommy. I'd like a AAA like in Mollys 95 Corrado there just looks less gubbings on that motor and i'm assuming that would fit the golf box.Then there the cables for the gear change and so it goes on, pie in the sky i spect but its got me thinking.
      Last edited by S49; 3 June 2022, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Yes, there’s a t4 vr6 manual box, only sold in Europe not UK/USA. Iirc it’s a 02g with a different bellhousing. Rocking horse poop.

here’s a thread on a us site about doing a manual conversion on a vr6 t4. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=765099

theres also a guy on the Other Forum that has used a regular mk3 vr6 box and hung it at non standard angle on custom engine and gearbox. Driveshaft angle was pretty ugly, but apparently it worked.
        Last edited by d-9; 4 June 2022, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks d-9 that makes interesting reading.And done this year to. All the 1.8t stuff i've looked at were done yonks ago. Looking at the pictures the motor dont look canted over very much more than in Mollys Corrado.

Comment

I think the engine is at roughly the same angle as any other t4 engine. There’s a really good thread on vw vortex about putting a manual box on a 24v vr6 (aka v6) eurovan, but couldn’t find it in the 30s I had signal on the bus yesterday, will have a hunt when I get bored today.

you’ve probably got the most recent 1.8t build thread! I must update mine

Comment

Just day dreaming but what angle does the Sharan motor sit at. Would the shafts on a Sharan VR6 be somewhere near to where they would be on a T4? As the rusty Corrado got crushed from under my nose the search continues. I'd like to go Corrado but could use a Golf 4 but wondering now about other box options.

Comment

Si. Even the golf's v6 are getting harder to find now unless you want to pay big £££££ for them

Comment

Just exploring options in my head Paul,given the short bonnet of a Sharan and its Ford,Seat and Skoda relations i'm thinking a 5 speed from any of the mentioned may do the trick. First i need a motor and enough loom to wire to the ole tub and we're away and started.

Comment

Si. Is this going to be for the doka

Comment

Thats what i'm thinking Paul yes.

Comment

Si. You must have too much time and money on your hands

Comment

Have you considered going longitudinal Si? Take something from the petrol Audi camp (could be Quattro) and fettle it in, stay RWD to avoid the front steering/drive shaft issues?
                          Last edited by Activ8; 30 August 2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Nope, not interested in rear wheel drive.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              Nope, not interested in rear wheel drive.
                              Midengined DOKA with 4WD?
                              Use the engine bay for the Borth BBQ setup?

Comment

Working...
                              X