T4 280bhp Drive train video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
    Just spoke to Adam at https://pioneering-performance.com who supplied the turbo...

"So looking back it would appear that you have got an Audi based 2260, with original sized wheels either end.
    But you've got the drop in performance MFS Billet compressor wheel which is OEM inducer/exducer size but machined from solid, extended tips, narrow nose hub etc
    And then push type vacuum actuator with custom stainless steel bracket”
    Ah OK, faster spool and more airmass without the machining. Very nice. What boost is it pulling to reach 280 , 32psi? I think a few of us have the BMW versions knocking about. Are you running any cleaner through it regularly to keep the vanes desooted? My GT23 hybrid died after 6 months choked by soot!

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      As I understood it it was Shadowmakers works van and used daily....
      Not a cheap eBay turbo you fitted either, must be £1300 quids worth? Are you running large bore boost pipe work to feed the FMIC and beyond into the AXG inlet?
      What did Bobby Singh advise to squeeze you through and beyond 300? , I watched the YT video and read the general comments. 3 days RR work? Not a cheap day out no doubt!
      Wow!!! Well, he is more forgiving on what he will put up with on a daily than me then!

Just done a quick measureing session. HUGE intake shrinks down from 63mm(od) to 57mm(od) to get into the turbo. Then its 63mm to the IC and 63mm from the IC to the AXG intake manifold.

Bobby wanted to send off my injectors to "his man in Germany" who is supposed to be a wizard and will give better atomisation... but I trust Keith.
      He also said we should go back to stock ACV/AXG/Volvo pistons, as he thinks the bowl pattern/size may be wrong on the Crafter pistons... but again, that would be tearing the whole thing apart.
      Both of which would be expensive and time consuming, to chase another 30-50bhp. Which I don't really need. 280 is PLENTY!

Bobby was annoyed as he says on paper it is a 300+bhp setup all day. So HE was disappointed with the numbers!!! Hence why he made the recommendations.
      I'm just happy with where it is.... for now.

Ah OK, faster spool and more airmass without the machining. Very nice. What boost is it pulling to reach 280 , 32psi? I think a few of us have the BMW versions knocking about. Are you running any cleaner through it regularly to keep the vanes desooted? My GT23 hybrid died after 6 months choked by soot!
      It just about peaks at 31/32... top guess!
      I put RhinoDiesel in sometimes but I haven't been very regimented about it... I ALWAYS run Shell V-Power diesel, think that may help a little. What do you recommend?
      Last edited by slimjim; 12 October 2022, 12:07 PM.
      BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
      Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Comment

Wow!!! Well, he is more forgiving on what he will put up with on a daily than me then!

Just done a quick measureing session. HUGE intake shrinks down from 63mm(od) to 57mm(od) to get into the turbo. Then its 63mm to the IC and 63mm from the IC to the AXG intake manifold.

Bobby wanted to send off my injectors to "his man in Germany" who is supposed to be a wizard and will give better atomisation... but I trust Keith.
        He also said we should go back to stock ACV/AXG/Volvo pistons, as he thinks the bowl pattern/size may be wrong on the Crafter pistons... but again, that would be tearing the whole thing apart.
        Both of which would be expensive and time consuming, to chase another 30-50bhp. Which I don't really need. 280 is PLENTY!

Bobby was annoyed as he says on paper it is a 300+bhp setup all day. So HE was disappointed with the numbers!!! Hence why he made the recommendations.
        I'm just happy with where it is.... for now.

It just about peaks at 31/32... top guess!
        I put RhinoDiesel in sometimes but I haven't been very regimented about it... I ALWAYS run Shell V-Power diesel, think that may help a little. What do you recommend?
        This is great info SJ.

I've not fitted another VNT turbo since the GT23, once bitten and all that..... although I have a full range of Garretts upto a GT28. May have to revisit a VNT next year.

I've never used the Rhino branded additives , just Rockoils Diesel Cleaner on Costco or Sainsburys finest. It's the same cetane rating but no additives, so you get more diesel fuel per litre! Lol

With your daily mileage and use , how's that 240mm SRE clutch holding out? Is it just the disc (or paddles) and spring plate or has the DMF been upgraded too?

Comment

This is great info SJ.

I've not fitted another VNT turbo since the GT23, once bitten and all that..... although I have a full range of Garretts upto a GT28. May have to revisit a VNT next year.

I've never used the Rhino branded additives , just Rockoils Diesel Cleaner on Costco or Sainsburys finest. It's the same cetane rating but no additives, so you get more diesel fuel per litre! Lol

With your daily mileage and use , how's that 240mm SRE clutch holding out? Is it just the disc (or paddles) and spring plate or has the DMF been upgraded too?
          The fly is stock... but the springs are uprated. It is not a paddle, I hated the feel of that, so we went with a ZF Sachs engineering organic.
          Day to day, it feels great. as I said, it slipped a little when I was trying to launch on the road for the dragy times but that was because if I didn't the wheels would spin. Non-prepped is SO hard to launch a heavy van on!
          EDIT: Thinking about it, while we did the engine rebuild, I did send it off to CG Motorsport to have it refurbished. Just because I had launched it a few times on the strip and wanted it 100% again. That was £138.

Will look into the Rockoils... but I can pop over to United Diesel easy enough and buy some more Rhino.

oh and got this quote from United Diesel:
          James's pump and injectors were lovingly modified to enhance the power available. The diesel injection pump was overhauled with an upgraded cam-plate and a few other tricks of the trade to allow for better fuel delivery. The injectors had 0.280mm power mode nozzles fitted and then Nozzle Opening Pressure 1 was set. The injectors performance was then recorded and flow balanced using information that is obtained from the mapping sequence to compare every critical aspect of the nozzle and injector performance.
          Last edited by slimjim; 13 October 2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Single stage injector setup? That’s what mine are and they’re fine so it’s interesting to see, if I’ve read it correctly, that’s what they’re doing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

You haven't . They're two stage injection. Setting stage 1 is just the cooling injection phase 220-230bar followed by Stage 2 at 300bar. Your Volvo nozzles are 2 stage.

Comment

200 is a lovely healthy number. Honestly, I'd be converting to a 1.8 BAM engine for more than that if I was to start again.
                Tom/SpeedingTube has proven it is the way to go. Have you seen his setup?
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...t-EHvBBXAqw3sz
                Yep followed his work, but I own a van, and vans are diesel and they should have torque to lug crap about.

If you are going to change the engine and cut half of the van away, render it pretty much unusable as a van why bother? Just start with something more suitable for going fast...but hey each to their own, we have different requirements and see the roles of our vans differently, they are all great.

If I was starting again it would have an audi 4.0 V8 or the 5.0 V10, mid mounted and RWD.....fecking useless as a daily though.

Loving your work, read the blog and have sent off a few questions but you never replied....

Comment

No water/meth injection? my mapper/RR guy swears by it as the way to go with power diesel builds....

Comment

You haven't . They're two stage injection. Setting stage 1 is just the cooling injection phase 220-230bar followed by Stage 2 at 300bar. Your Volvo nozzles are 2 stage.
                    Yep, I know that and see how what I’ve written doesn’t make sense. I meant that my 2 stage 220/300 injectors were checked/setup just by popping the first stage. I took from SJ’s post that his were done the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                    #vanlife

Comment

I can see two vans from my window and their both petrol

Comment

Ah, OK.
                        I suspect Bobby Singhs German diesel fella would balance each injector with both the Stage 1 and 2 pressures as Darkside do.

Bosch suggest not to touch the Stage2 though even with the latest testing tech.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                          No water/meth injection? my mapper/RR guy swears by it as the way to go with power diesel builds....
                          You already have a spec - excluding the turbo assuming it's still that oem Volvo) - to go beyond 240, have you told him to restrict the power available to the 200?

Comment

Yep followed his work, but I own a van, and vans are diesel and they should have torque to lug crap about.

If you are going to change the engine and cut half of the van away, render it pretty much unusable as a van why bother? Just start with something more suitable for going fast...but hey each to their own, we have different requirements and see the roles of our vans differently, they are all great.

If I was starting again it would have an audi 4.0 V8 or the 5.0 V10, mid mounted and RWD.....fecking useless as a daily though.

Loving your work, read the blog and have sent off a few questions but you never replied....
                            VERY sorry about that Reg!!! I didn't see them.
                            As I said, you guys are the minority, you actually DO read my blogs. The whole reason I am doing these videos is bcause everyone asked me about the van, I pointed them at the blogs and no-one ever bloody read them!
                            Will go and see if I can find your questions.... or just ask me here. Sorry again chap.

edit: I also find this website very flaky. It seems to stop responding a LOT.... anyone else get that?

Edit II: .... had a look at my blogs and I can't see any questions attached to them.
                            Last edited by slimjim; 14 October 2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Another guy I know also has a high power build... and he DID go down the water/meth setup.
                              Saying that, he has problems with his build and I don;t think he has ever finished it and run it in anger.

I did monitor the AGT's for a while and they were not too bad, which is what I think the main benefit is from the meth injection.
                              If I was chasing more power, I guess I could look into it... but I'm not.

Comment

I dont usually take much notice of camper stuff but that jigsaw floor, do you have a link to autisum?

Comment

Working...
                                X