Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T4 280bhp Drive train video

Hey folks…..
    I have finally got my video up, talking about how it’s taken a decade to finally have my van running a reliable powerful “OEM” 2.5tdi at 280bhp.

Have a look here:
    https://youtu.be/RFcB2hGv6LI

Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by slimjim; 11 October 2022, 08:21 AM.
    BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
    Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Nice1 SJ.
    Are you answering questions on this forum or are questions only to be directed through the YT comments?
    Last edited by Activ8; 11 October 2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Very interesting, be nice to see more regular updates on here.

Comment

I'll be taking a look...mines proving very happy at 200, need to know the next step...

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Nice1 SJ.
          Are you answering questions on this forum or are questions only to be directed through the YT comments?
          Depending on the questions, I will stick the answers in a video. That is what I did with the last video on my LED Projekt Zwo lights.
          What would you like to know?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            Very interesting, be nice to see more regular updates on here.
            Annoyingly, the only reason I am doing these videos is because there are so few people such as yourself who are willing to read any more!
            I have been blogging my journey, on here, for a long time. But people seem to only want videos now.
            For people such as your good self who CAN read, have a look here: https://just-t4s.co.uk/blogs/slimjim...log-collection

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              I'll be taking a look...mines proving very happy at 200, need to know the next step...
              200 is a lovely healthy number. Honestly, I'd be converting to a 1.8 BAM engine for more than that if I was to start again.
              Tom/SpeedingTube has proven it is the way to go. Have you seen his setup?
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...t-EHvBBXAqw3sz

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post

Depending on the questions, I will stick the answers in a video. That is what I did with the last video on my LED Projekt Zwo lights.
                What would you like to know?
                What manifolds (inlet and exhaust) are you now running?

Comment

What manifolds (inlet and exhaust) are you now running?

Intake and exhaust manifolds are both AXG, with a few minor alterations to the intake but only for connecting to the new FMIC pipework, nothing tricky internally or anything.

Comment

Intake and exhaust manifolds are both AXG, with a few minor alterations to the intake but only for connecting to the new FMIC pipework, nothing tricky internally or anything.
                    That's great to know for those of us that have also invested!
                    You mentioned 075 injectors and 2.8 "hi-flow" when you rattled through the timelined specs, were you referring to LT nozzles?
                    What turbo comp and turbine wheel sizes are the hybrid setup, many don't see past 250bhp.
                    Your current 280 is without headwork or an upgraded cam?

Comment

That's great to know for those of us that have also invested!
                      You mentioned 075 injectors and 2.8 "hi-flow" when you rattled through the timelined specs, were you referring to LT nozzles?
                      What turbo comp and turbine wheel sizes are the hybrid setup, many don't see past 250bhp.
                      Your current 280 is without headwork or an upgraded cam?
                      FFS... I was SURE I had gone into enough detail on everything but now, looking back, I didn't go into any of this detail. Sorry!

Yes, the current injectors are a "custom" size from Keith @ United Diesel. I'd have to ask him for the specific specs... He made them as big as he thought they should be, balanced with the 11mm fuel pump he also made custom for the job.

There is some minor headwork but nothing massive. https://www.head-technique.co.uk did a little bit just to make it flow a little better.
                      Cam is stock.

Pretty sure the GTB2260VK is stock sized, with milled intake vanes... so Ind:44.5mm Exd:60.4mm but I'm triple checking with my supplier.
                      I'm going to have to put all this in my Q&A video!

Comment

FFS... I was SURE I had gone into enough detail on everything but now, looking back, I didn't go into any of this detail. Sorry!

Yes, the current injectors are a "custom" size from Keith @ United Diesel. I'd have to ask him for the specific specs... He made them as big as he thought they should be, balanced with the 11mm fuel pump he also made custom for the job.

There is some minor headwork but nothing massive. https://www.head-technique.co.uk did a little bit just to make it flow a little better.
                        Cam is stock.

Pretty sure the GTB2260VK is stock sized, with milled intake vanes... so Ind:44.5mm Exd:60.4mm but I'm triple checking with my supplier.
                        I'm going to have to put all this in my Q&A video!
                        Cheers SJ, I very much appreciate the replies and insight, as it confirms a lot of my own experiences to date.

You've had a rough financial ride these past 10ish years with the "experts" doing the spannering, supply and mapping. I'm surprised your bonnet to-do list isn't heavily dented by punches and butting. Was the strip time the goal or a "bhp & torque" target? Plus you interestingly didn't follow the Shadowmakers route although well documented from 2007 in both T4 , Diesel and Volvo forums?

Your history drag racing helps to explain the T17 direction and enthusiasm. Some more on the drag history would be a great personal insight and perspective

Would you mind posting your rolling road info here?

So, back to the questions!
                        So no "parts" in the head work except Rosten springs? So no larger exhaust valves or cams to improve lift and flow? Compression changes?

Lastly, are you completely colour coded at home, do you own anything that isn't black and yellow? ;-) Cheers bud.

Comment

Cheers SJ, I very much appreciate the replies and insight, as it confirms a lot of my own experiences to date.

You've had a rough financial ride these past 10ish years with the "experts" doing the spannering, supply and mapping. I'm surprised your bonnet to-do list isn't heavily dented by punches and butting. Was the strip time the goal or a "bhp & torque" target? Plus you interestingly didn't follow the Shadowmakers route although well documented from 2007 in both T4 , Diesel and Volvo forums?

Your history drag racing helps to explain the T17 direction and enthusiasm. Some more on the drag history would be a great personal insight and perspective

Would you mind posting your rolling road info here?

So, back to the questions!
                          So no "parts" in the head work except Rosten springs? So no larger exhaust valves or cams to improve lift and flow? Compression changes?

Lastly, are you completely colour coded at home, do you own anything that isn't black and yellow? ;-) Cheers bud.
                          Financially..... it's a joke.
                          But I didn't do it to make money, or build the value in the van... it was all just for fun!

Shadowmaker was ALL about drag racing, which is very cool. But 364 days a year, this is my daily driver and my camper van, so it had to walk the fine line between power and reliability/usability.

There was no real "goal" of time or bhp. Just slowly increasing everything to try and make it great to drive on the road, reliable and "quick" on the strip.
                          Tom/Speedingtube has shown the REAL way to go is with a BAM engine pushing 500+bhp. SO much easier and cheaper. Plus it's cleaner running petrol rather than smelly diesel, lighters... etc. SO many positives.

No, all stock other than the Rosten springs.
                          The compression has changed slightly as it has crafter low compression pistons in... but we are not 100% sure if they are helping or hindering.

My wife is SICK of the yellow and black theme.
                          Only everything in the van and a few of my clothes are black and yellow .... but there is a ban on it now.
                          Last edited by slimjim; 12 October 2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Just spoke to Adam at https://pioneering-performance.com who supplied the turbo...

"So looking back it would appear that you have got an Audi based 2260, with original sized wheels either end.
                            But you've got the drop in performance MFS Billet compressor wheel which is OEM inducer/exducer size but machined from solid, extended tips, narrow nose hub etc
                            And then push type vacuum actuator with custom stainless steel bracket”

Comment

As I understood it it was Shadowmakers works van and used daily....

Not a cheap eBay turbo you fitted either, must be £1300 quids worth? Are you running large bore boost pipe work to feed the FMIC and beyond into the AXG inlet?

What did Bobby Singh advise to squeeze you through and beyond 300? , I watched the YT video and read the general comments. 3 days RR work? Not a cheap day out no doubt!

Comment

Working...
                              X